Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Level Bonuses Based on Equipment

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(02-26-2017, 09:19 AM)Timbo Wrote: I just want it to be clear here. I wasn't trying to make any kind of connection to my desire to share with the community with Synchysi's hacks being proprietary. There are numerous reasons for a developer not to share their code but only a few of those reasons are selfish. ROM Hackers essentially give away free art, clearly they aren't "miserly*.

No worries, I didn't intend to imply that you were making such a connection.

(02-26-2017, 09:19 AM)Timbo Wrote: Seibaby, that approach looks novel too. I'm really down for any of these approaches. I'm just going to need a little guidance. Before that happens I probably need to familiarize myself with asm. What's the best guide or tutorial for my needs?

I tend to rely on this site a lot: https://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/HomePage

Also, if you want a reference tome, this should cover everything you'll ever need to know about 65816 assembly: https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/images/7/76/Programmanual.pdf
(I wish I had known about this document when I first started bumbling about with FFVI - all I had was assassin's C2 disassembly)

However, learning the language is only half the battle. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the FFVI codebase, something best done by diving into the disassemblies, particularly the battle program in bank C2 (which also happens to be among the best documented banks). This, I feel, is best done by simply scanning through the document with a reference sheet close at hand.

I don't know your background, so in case you're completely new to romhacking, I'll say that unless you're already familiar with hex editing, using an assembler, decimal/binary/hexadecimal conversion, using a debugger, etc., you'll need to learn the basics first. For SNES assembly, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the basic operation of the 65816 processor; its operations, its math and index registers, processor flags, memory addressing modes, etc.

What you want to do is not too complicated, but obviously it will seem that way until you know what you're doing. We'll be happy to help with specific questions, even stupid ones, so don't worry. Smile
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • Timbo (02-26-2017)

Messages In This Thread
Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by Timbo - 02-25-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by madsiur - 02-25-2017, 05:41 PM
RE: Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by Timbo - 02-25-2017, 07:38 PM
RE: Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by Vertigo - 02-26-2017, 01:47 AM
RE: Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by seibaby - 02-26-2017, 04:05 AM
RE: Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by Timbo - 02-26-2017, 09:19 AM
RE: Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by madsiur - 02-26-2017, 11:13 AM
RE: Level Bonuses Based on Equipment - by madsiur - 02-26-2017, 05:25 PM