Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Rachel sprite graphic bug??

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I wanted some spriter opinions before doing a patch... Is this a bug or intended space next to shoulder when hair move???

[Image: 1d62vu.gif] [Image: 1d62ii.gif]

The transparent pixels are on two different tiles ($1B and $21) at the same spot (sprite relative):

Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
i think its supposed to indicate her hair flicking to the side as she walks,it does look off tho

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
Tissue-aware
I think this would be the only case of intended transparent pixels inside a sprite which makes it even more off...
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
JWhite, are you sure you're looking at the right spot? The missing pixels are by her shoulder, but there's also a transparent pixel by her skirt. The ones at her shoulder definitely look like a mistake to me.

It looks to me like they're supposed to black (the same color as her outline). The devs probably missed it by looking at her on top of a black background, or something.

https://github.com/abyssonym/beyondchaos
Beyond Chaos is a full-game randomizer for FF6.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
That's what I was thinking, too. Since Rachel only walks in flashbacks, this wouldn't be caught in a test playthrough either.

Knowing my history, though, I could be wrong.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
oh you ment the shoulder, yeah thats whack

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-29-2016, 03:57 AM)abyssonym Wrote: The missing pixels are by her shoulder, but there's also a transparent pixel by her skirt. The ones at her shoulder definitely look like a mistake to me. It looks to me like they're supposed to black (the same color as her outline). The devs probably missed it by looking at her on top of a black background, or something.

The pixel missing on her skirt seems to be a space between her hair an the skirt and it is surrounded by black ones which makes things look more natural to me than the ones by her shoulder. You explanation about being black pixels does make sense and the sprite look good this way after a test. I'll go with the black option rather than improvising myself as a one-day spriter.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
this and several other npcs are messed up, the old lady, the fat merchant, even the townsman are just some examples

the people just rushed it honestly, hell even Celes "technically" isn't perfect, just saying

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Hehe, you're right Poco, the old lady is missing the top of her head in one frame (well, the outline). There's a transparent pixel on her right shoulder when walking north, too. I think that pixel should be the darker of the two colors on her cape.

As for the merchant, he's missing a column of pixels on his torso. Not sure what the hell happened there; it's clearly not supposed to be an outline. I think it looks best if that column just copies the adjacent pixel color of his clothing.

Anyway, here's a quick fix I made in YY-CHR for the above errors. Since it's a simple fix, I threw in Rachel's missing outlines there, too. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d33ui3zjulk5pf...x.zip?dl=1

Not sure what you mean by townsman or Celes, though. If you mean the young man with the ponytail and vest, I couldn't spot the mistake. He seems to have all his outlines and no stray transparent pixels inside the sprite, at least.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(11-01-2016, 03:48 PM)seibaby Wrote: Anyway, here's a quick fix I made in YY-CHR for the above errors. Since it's a simple fix, I threw in Rachel's missing outlines there, too. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d33ui3zjulk5pf...x.zip?dl=1

I think this (or subsequent patch) deserve a proper release with documentation and h and nh patches, 1.1 and FF6j since they are graphical bugfixes. If you don't want to do it, I can give myself this trouble. However I don't really know who to credit here: you, abyssonym, Poco, Turbostatic, myself, everyone ?

Since we (well I at least) are into this, might as well tackle all NPC and character sprites inconsistencies that can be 100% identified as omissions without giving too much place to interpretation.

I'd eventually submit this to RHDN as well.
  Find