Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Believe it or not, I'm still working on this. The current issue is dealing with sprites being displayed on the save screen (probably shops and party select as well but I'm fairly certain if I can make one work the rest will follow).

The issue is, as I see it, the game is loading all the playable characters into VRAM, then displaying them from there, as needed, in the saved slots. Since I'm not always using the first few sprites as playable characters, I need it to check what sprites are assigned to those character slots and load those sprites instead. (It could still load them all, it just can't load the first 22 sprites on the list, blindly, then use them after).

Pretty sure I can work with the palette side of it, current plan is to create a new table of NPC palette assignments, (similar to the original battle palettes table) then use that instead of direct OAM data. Haven't come up with a reason it wouldn't read from my table instead of the OAM data blocks with the proper adjustments at least.

The reason I call it an issue though, OAM data only contains the location of the sprite in VRAM. Meaning, what good would it do to expand OAM data if there is only enough VRAM for the normal characters? Best I can figure, it needs to check what sprite the character has been assigned (by reading from SRAM/RAM), then load that sprite to the location in VRAM which is pulled from its own table. Could still use the same table of VRAM addresses, just need to adjust the address of the sprite sheet being loaded every time, prior to the actual loading into VRAM. At that point, OAM data would only need minor expanding (actually, not so much expanded as completed/filled out).

It actually shouldn't be that hard to do (writing the code to check,adjust, continue) but I have to figure out where those values are and how to get that value adjusted so it can read from the standard sprite address table.

This is gonna be a little tricky on the save menu, since each save game could have different sprites assigned to the same actor at different times (for instance if sprite 0 is assigned to actor 0 during the WoB, then changed to sprite 120 for the WoR, this would require actor one to be displayed with two different sprites. Might even have to read the data, then temporarly assign the sprites in a 1-12 order so it can display up to 12 different sprites regardless of their actor, then go back to normal when not in the save menu.

Eitherway, yes its still alive, just have some highspeed stuff to get figured out before it can move forward.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC - by Catone - 01-30-2016, 11:46 AM