None
Hopefully we can get an update soon.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
I'm swamped with work, sorry I haven't touched this in a while.

Feeling like in a writer's block as well (with regarding to FF6 events).

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Oops. I'll be good and waitSad
  Find

Status
None
Have you had any luck with the BOF2 SPC offsets?
  Find

Status
None
my guess would be to find the pointer in the hex, wherever that is as i know nothing about hex data, but all i an say is that i am also looking for a way to keep cross counters (the first battle theme) because i too hate the second battle theme. do you have any information on how to prevent the change in the battle theme?

Status
None
(06-22-2012, 02:19 AM)kefkapapala Wrote: my guess would be to find the pointer in the hex, wherever that is as i know nothing about hex data, but all i an say is that i am also looking for a way to keep cross counters (the first battle theme) because i too hate the second battle theme. do you have any information on how to prevent the change in the battle theme?

Unfortunately, no, but I know the exact in-game event that triggers the change. You go to Tunlan (or Tune Land) and a random NPC there tells you need a magical flute since the natives of the town speak in music; after he tells you that, the battle music changes.

So, I know the event, but as far as offsets, pointers and byte addresses go, yeah, someone else will need to look at it.
  Find

Status
None
I haven't read the entire post, however, if it were me attempting to do this (keep in mind I'm a hex noob and fairly simple minded) I would attemp to find a direct game rip music (spc file? not sure, but the 5 minutes of google looking led me to believe it was straight from the snes version) find the song you want, and the song you want to replace get the hex code for both songs, search for the second one in your rom, and replace it with the first one.

Need I say again, I'm a noob and tend favor the straight forward "get a bigger hammer" approach when able, so I don't know if this would fail miserably or even start. The concept though is simple, if you can't find the offsets look for the code itself. Shouldn't be more than one instance of the song, might not be pretty, but would be something to poke at for a few hours and there is a slim chance in aprox 3,720 that it might work...

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
SPC files hex data is not even close to being the same as the actual song data. It would need to be converted first in order to search for it in the ROM, and unfortunately there's no such program that does this. ;(

The 'simplest' way would be to locate the song pointers and just change the one in question to the other one.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I've never tried anything like this, but if I wanted it to happen I'd probably try this - setup Geiger's SPC debugger, then trigger a random encounter, with the old music. Then, go trip the variable to change the battle music. Then, attempt to get into the same random encounter with EVERYTHING else being the same, such as inventory, party members, hp, etc. then parse the two logs and try to "find the differences". If you're lucky, only a few bytes will be different, allowing you to laser in your focus on just a few possibilities.
  Find

Status
None
As I said Gi Nattak, I'm a noob, and I only invested a few minutes into the research.

I do agree with the "simplest" part though, but from what I've caught of this thread the big holdup is not being able to find said pointer. I was more attempting to throw another option on the table, that being said, Quickfix's suggestion sounds much more plausable.

In the end the real question is if the reward is worth the effort, regardless of the solution. If he enjoys hacking, truly hacking, then sure. If he just wants to hear a battle song thats more pleasing to the ears... can't speak for others, but I sure couldn't find the motivation.