Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Possible solution to the sap death bug

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(01-22-2021, 06:14 AM)assassin Wrote: i recall reading that they made changes to relax some counterattack restrictions.  since your patch here also relaxes restrictions (as does mine), we're talking relaxation on top of relaxation.  seems like a recipe for wacky side effects, if not infinite loops.

more specific than the direction on the strict<-->relaxed continuum is *how* they overhaul some monster counters.  for instance, start reading at Post #43 here:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/554...i/74506707
(and read thru #71, if you have the patience.)

FC 06 instead of the venerable FC 12?!?!
this stuff is barely recognizable, and has aspects of duct tape and spackle to it. Tongue   i'm not sure how you can confidently make a patch that works on both vanilla and that, given their changes.  are they reversing some of them now that your patch goes at the bug more directly?  or maybe they've abandoned the wackier stuff with the passage of time?

The "countering counterattacks" bug you mentioned in the thread linked above is actually the reason I started looking at this sap death bug in the first place. It turns out, the "countering counterattacks" bug is in vanilla, too, due to how `$3A56` bypasses the `$B1` check at `$C2/4C92`. If a counterattack kills an enemy, that enemy's full reactive script will run -- in vanilla, this is mostly avoided by `FC 12` conditionals higher up in the reactive scripts for enemies that have other counterattack behavior. BNW also makes these situations more likely by increasing frequency of counterattacks across the board, and using `FC 05` far more often.

In short, I don't think BNW relaxes counterattack conditions. When I fixed the bug above, I noticed how the `$3A56` override was being ignored at `$C2/4C02`, which is how I stumbled onto my fix for the sap death bug.

Since my patch addresses the sap death issue, BNW could revert to using `FC 12` instead of `FC 06`, but it isn't necessary. The only side-effect of their approach is that Sap and Counters can no longer kill bosses at all (since bosses are prevented from dying except via an "HP <= 0" reactive conditional). I don't think the absence of "Death" conditionals on bosses would have any impact on my patch. The normal enemies that use `FC 12` will work now, though.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible solution to the sap death bug - by Bropedio - 01-22-2021, 11:32 AM