Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mystic Quest Reborn / Mystic Quest HardType

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
I am blown away at the musical improvements as well as the other improvements you have made to this game, also I like that you made the Dark King not beatable with the Cure Spell, you have to beat him like I did initially, spam Flare, Meteor, and use Excaliber as well as Phoebe helping out. I am impressed, if critics played this version back in the day, they'd be enthralled with it, this game would have mucho respect. I hope to play the patch soon.
  Find

Status
None
I was absolutely enthusiastic when i found this hardtype some days ago. I always loved the game, because it was my first RPG ever back in the 90's and it's a quite a good game, even if it is a bit too easy and so on, but it has its own charme.
At first I thought i would get some improvements and stuff, but it was quite tough. You don't really realize how nasty all these status effects are, unless the enemies can really harm you or counter with these skills nearly every attack.
I had some tough time with all these confusing enemies and (maybe it was my own fault) I ran out of shurikans for tristam pretty fast, so he was more of a healer than an overall support.
But I really enjoyed the game so far, I just finished the first crystal and had phoebe join me.
Now I'm looking forward to the second crystal part and hope that i don't have to use so many savestes anymore Laugh

Thanks in advance for creating this great mod.

edit August 26th (I'll probably edit this more than once after this one to avoid multiple posts):

Well, I'm pressing forward right now and everything went more or less smooth until I entered the ice pyramid. It was quite alright at first, but as soon as you meet these guys with nasty status effects, you're like "are you serious man?"
It becomes ridiculously hard to win the battles, especially with the sphinx dudes, the gathers and maybe the mages, but they were just annoying most of the time, but not THAT hard to beat.
The Sphinx deal high damage and if they land a critical strike, you're done - same goes for the gather and the self-destruct ability and it's not a "well, it gets harder, but it's still beatable" case, it's the "If they kill Phoebe, you're f**k**g finished" case and this happens pretty often, but you can't do anything about it because they deal more than Phoebe's maximum health as damage with a critical strike. Their paralyze/confusion abilities handle the rest.

The last 2 packs before the Ice Golem (2 Sphinx/1 Gather combos) took around 40 minutes to finish because I had to start over and over again, because they just nuked me or they controlled my characters until I died. Bosses like the octopus or the crab took around 5 minutes to beat. I think the relation is pretty off here. I willingly accept if I made a mistake, but I don't want to accept something, that I couldn't do anything about in the first place.
I'm pretty sure that you can't or won't do anything about since the project is finished, but I still want to give proper feedback.
It sounds pretty negative after a reread, but please don't take it offensive or something like "Your work sucks", it's meant as constructive criticism and I hope you take it that way.

Overall I still love this project, because I love Mystic Quest and i appreciate your effort to create this hardtype.

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
Thank guys for the feedback!

And you can now order the mod on a real cartridge complete with box, manual, and a map! The cartridge version has a few small changes done to slightly decrease some difficulty.

Check it out here: http://www.timewalkgames.com
Or: Direct link

P.S The new music sounds absolutely awesome on real hardware!

Oh also, I plan releasing a "Lite" version of Reborn on the 1yr anniversary of the release. It will be noticeably easier.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Status
None
Good to see that your project is progressing, grats Smile

It's a great idea to reproduce these old games/cartridges, but to be honest...I wouldn't buy reborn, simply because it's too frustrating and a little too expensive in my opinion. I live in Europe, Germany to be precise and it'll cost over 100$ with shipping and stuff, that's around 80€ or would've been around 160DM back in the old snes days and that's more expensive than even the old games were (other games cost around 80-120DM). On the other hand, I don't know the costs to produce it, so it's just the too frustrating factor and I already have my easytype copy and if I want a challenge, i can play it on the emulator.

I'm about to finish to Lava Dome and all these status are going to be REALLY annoying. It would be a bit easier, if the status effects had a chance to fail or the monster would use them less frequently, if you don't wanna change the whole mechanic with effects like confusion, but like that...it sometimes feels more like work than entertainment and I doubt that this is the way it's meant to be Sad

Nevertheless it's still good and if you can use savestates at some points, it's ok and it gets a bit easier, although some minor tweaks like the stuff that I mentioned a little ealier would make this an even better remake in my opinion.

May I ask you what these minor changes are, that you mentioned for the cartridge?

And while I'm at it...Does an overview exist about some things that changed, for example the localities of the spells? I thought that I forgot the to take the Heal spell in the falls basin, but found it at later at a battlefield?
I'm asking right now because I didn't get the white/holy spell and still don't have exit.

Thanks in advance, keep up the good work.

edit: Another little question...I just downloaded your Mystic Quest Multi Editor, but I obviously can't open the Reborn rom, because it has no header and the Editor needs one - Does a workaround exist for this "problem" respective what's the point of creating an Editor that is not able to open your own game file?