Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Palette Editing Tutorial (outdated)

Status
None
The overworld palette doesnt work as I though. It kinda messes up the color itself, instead of changing the whole palette. I need to change Kefka's Overworld/town palette but I cant find it. Im think I have to find the exact moment where the game assign palette 3 to him to change it, but I did not find it. I checked it in the ''event dump''.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
show some screenshots

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
For some reason, I don't understand the 268200 offset at all, as the 1st digit isn't related to character palettes at all.. here's a screenshot as an attached file to show what I mean
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
Please don't submit attachments here because they mess up, please provide a imageshack or tinypic link instead, that was said in this very thread...

I don't know what 268200 has to do with changing overworld palettes at all, as that address is in the
E bank...? Also, they're not going to be all grouped together like that, I'm not sure where or why Poco got that address or information or what exactly it concerns...

Just use the 'Event Dump' document to search for where the characters are assigned their overworld palettes.

example: CA/6D4C: 43 Assign palette $02 to character $00 (Actor in stot 0)
(you would search for this address with 'A6D4C', and you should see the $43 byte there. If NOT, then your ROM has a header so you will need to add +200 bytes to A6D4C, so it would become A6F4C.)

That is where Terra's palette is assigned.
Some characters are assigned their palletes more than once in various places, so be sure that you get them all.

You will also have to use the level editor to change the rest when they are placed as objects in various maps.

Event Dump: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/539/

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(11-16-2012, 12:34 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Please don't submit attachments here because they mess up, please provide a imageshack or tinypic link instead, that was said in this very thread...

I don't know what 268200 has to do with changing overworld palettes at all, as that address is in the
E bank...? Also, they're not going to be all grouped together like that, I'm not sure where or why Poco got that address...

Just use the 'Event Dump' document to search for where the characters are assigned their overworld palettes.

example: CA/6D4C: 43 Assign palette $02 to character $00 (Actor in stot 0)
That is where Terra's palette is assigned.
Some characters are assigned their palletes more than once, so be sure you get them all.

You will also have to use the level editor to change the rest when they are placed as objects in various maps.

Event Dump: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/539/

Thank you. Also I will not submit attachments anymore, I was unaware of this. I opened up my hex editor and searched for offset 6D4C and got the digit 5F. Now, must I change the 5F to the hex number of the palette I want Terra to have? In my hack, Terra's palette is 0F (palette number 15) According to program ''FF3usSpriteEd'' there are 30 different palettes, only a few are used in game without hex editing, as I got palettes 15 to 29 working for the battle sprites. If this is the case then I'll know how to do the rest. If not, then I would need a little help, please, as I'm new to this. Thanks.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
You need to search for A6D4C, not 6D4C. AND, you'll need to instead search for A6F4C, because your ROM has a header - that's the first 200 bytes of 00's there at 00000000. The event dump's addresses are considering that your ROM has no header. There should be an option to remove the header in your hex editor, you can always add it back later with SNESTool, otherwise you'll have to always add the +200 on to get to the right address.

And sorry to tell you, but you can only assign characters overworld palettes 0-7...yeah.

Anyways, searching for A6F4C gets you to 43 00 02.
43 is the 'Assign palette' command, 00 is the character in question, 00 is Terra. And 02 is the pallete being issued.
So 43 00 02 = assign palette 02 to character 00 (Terra.)

Quote:I got palettes 15 to 29 working for the battle sprites.

What?! Hmm, I wasn't aware that could even be done.

Status
None
It worked! Thanks!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
No prob! Also, I forgot to say that in order to see the change in overworld palette take place, you'll have to go/play up to before they have already been assigned their palettes in the code - but it seems you might have already figured that out here if you saw it working. Like, most of the time it requires restarting or using a save state to right before the character is assigned their palettes, many people have asked in the past "why isn't it working?" and that was the issue.

Status
None
One last question...What are the offsets for the other characters?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-16-2012, 01:55 AM)NitroHedgehog Wrote: One last question...What are the offsets for the other characters?

Check the palette location document I posted in this thread. All the assignations are there.
  Find