Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Is it possible...?

Status
None
Heya. Basically, I plan on asking any "is it possible?" questions here, so as not to make tons of threads. Tongue

Anyways, let's start with a few...

Is it possible to...

1. Make a controllable Dance? (i.e. the character's command list is switched to a completely different set of four, a la Control.)

2. Change the list of Throwable items?

3. Have conversations with descision branches in the middle of a battle? (Or perhaps something similar to Ragtime Mouse would have to be set up?)

4. Grant the player items during battle? (Through an event, not just Steal.)

5. Eliminate normal learning of Dances and instead have them be learned through events?

6. Limit certain Espers to certain characters?

7. Remove the one-summon-per-battle limit?

8. Create new Blitz commands (button sequences)?

Thank you in advance. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions. Smile

Threads: 91
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Crystal
well i can answer 1 of those questions Wink

for the blitz 1, you can change the order for the buttons in a progrom called FF3usME
which can be found in the tools section.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
well most of these things are doable, of course most of these require immense hex editing and ridiculous amounts of time

but to be more specific

1. requires insane hex editing

2. yes and no, some additional items can be thrown but some glitch the game EX: armor or helmets

3. I suppose so, but again if it is possible that would require insane amounts of ASM hacking

4. that can be done, but u need to give the enemy/boss a certain battle script and condition, not to mention a reaction to certain commands that will enable u to get an item

5. again u need to ASM hack the learning curve don't ask me how 2 do that but it CAN be done

6. yea but it would be way to much work and take up way to much space 4 it 2 even be worth it

7. well that's what the summon command is for (assuming its fixed) and u can edit the aspect of summoning via hex editing

8. and to put simply with the current version of FF3USME its quite easy 2 do now Wink

hope this was helpful

but as for the hex/ASM editing part you r on ur own man srry no one here knows how to hex edit like that (I know I don't, @ least 4 now)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Is it possible to...

To quote the master FF6 hackers - nothing is impossible, given enough time and memory limitations. But it comes down to when it's easier to simply make your own core than to change FF3us any further. So blanket yes, everything on your list can be done. I'll try to point you in the right direction for the ones I know anything about.

1. Make a controllable Dance? (i.e. the character's command list is switched to a completely different set of four, a la Control.)
- This sounds interesting and it's actually similar to something I've been trying to do with my own hack. It's doable, but it's pretty high-level hex-editing. I haven't figured it out myself yet. Menu editing is a b*t*h.

2. Change the list of Throwable items?
-This should be entirely possible with simply using FF3usME. It has an item editor and you can change things to "Throwing"-type items.

3. Have conversations with descision branches in the middle of a battle? (Or perhaps something similar to Ragtime Mouse would have to be set up?)
Go here.
http://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/patches.html
Download the Event dump.
Start reading. Keep reading. Eventually it will make sense. Once you kind of understand what it says, then open a clean rom with a Hex editor and change some bits that you think you understand. Play with it. Then come ask again.
Basically, adding conversation branches is entirely do-able. But there are not a lot of spare bytes to use to add these branches, so you'll have to delete a lot of other text/actions and then use JMP and JSR commands to redirect conversation prompts to whatever freespace you managed to clear up.

4. Grant the player items during battle? (Through an event, not just Steal.)
Same as the above, only much much shorter. Adding an item to the party's inventory is pretty easy. The only hard part is adding a trigger. If you just want to add an item during a specific one-time-only battle, then you don't need a trigger, just to clear up some space on the rom and JMP to it. If you want to add text to this event, then it because just as hard as Q3.

5. Eliminate normal learning of Dances and instead have them be learned through events?
There's no event bit to teach a Dance through an event that I've seen. That would make this much harder. Luckily there are some unused event bits, so you could conceivably make them (I honestly don't know how to do this part, but I know it's possible). You -can- however, control which backgrounds teach which Dances, which can simulate the same thing if you're creative with it. (Especially considering that you can also assign Backgrounds to different areas such that any particular background might only be used in one specific battle - the one where you intended to create the event that would have taught the Dance, even!) The second part is harder, but just changing which BGs teach which Dance has already been discussed on these forums.

6. Limit certain Espers to certain characters?
This would require either a new command for every Esper (if each Esper is only usable by one Actor), or a new -table- for every Esper to make this work. I suspect there's not enough romspace to make a table easily, but if you want to make each Esper a unique equip, then you're going to need to find where the 'equip an Esper' routine is, and then add a JSR command prior to it, and make a short table in some free space where you make a query for each esper, load the actor data, and branch if it's not the actor you want to equip that specific actor (you can probably branch to the routine that greys out an Esper's name if it's already equipped to save some space).

7. Remove the one-summon-per-battle limit?
Hey, probably the easiest thing you've asked so far. I suspect this is just a case of NOP-ing out ($EA) the command that says "branch if this Esper has already been used this battle" or "increment 'times used this battle' count by 1". I'm not exactly sure how the game handles this, but that would be my guess. Check out the C2 bank for all battle system-related info.
http://assassin17.home.comcast.net/~assa...code2i.txt

8. Create new Blitz commands (button sequences)?
LordJ's on it already. Just use FF3usME ver 6.7 beta.

Status
None
Damn. Here I was hoping to eliminate one of my two hack concepts, but they're both possible. Laugh

I should really be digging around more, judging by the fact that I didn't know the thing about the Blitzes, but I'm afraid that for the moment, my computer is completely nonfunctional. I managed to trip and break both it and the school keyboard in one go...

But, um, yeah. Thanks, everyone, this is cool. I really didn't expect the battle conversations to be so... possible. As for the Dances, I suppose I'm lucky that #1's more of a peripheral idea. The backgrounds thing solves my problems nicely.

Great that #2 shouldn't be hard.

YESSSSS. I am very glad that #7 is easy. And I'm aware of the Summon command. It wasn't what I had intended, but it IS cool.

Besides this, is it possible...

#8: To create an Esper that doesn't teach any skills? I WOULD look this up myself, but I have to use the school computers at the moment.

(Also, DjinnAndTonic, I am envious of your amazing name...)

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Lucky-Girl
(10-08-2010, 02:57 PM)Hikari no Kaze Wrote: #8: To create an Esper that doesn't teach any skills? I WOULD look this up myself, but I have to use the school computers at the moment.

(Also, DjinnAndTonic, I am envious of your amazing name...)

Yes, it's possible. In FF3usME, go to the Spells tab and the Esper Extra's tab. One by one you'll have to set every Esper's spells to ???????, located at the very bottom of the spells list. I did this in my hack, so yes, it's that easy.

"The doom and gloom is justified.
A couple of people are going to die.
Even though you can turn back the time,
you're always a moment too late!"
  Find

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Kiddy, listen, as DjinnAndTonic said, nothing is impossible. Being a pretty decent hacker myself, I've came across many limitations that stop me in my tracks. Yes I could use hex editing, but I don't have the time to learn it any time soon :/
Just keep in mind, hacking is a waiting game; if you come to a point in your hacking that you can't pass, I sugest playing around with RPG Maker VX, this is a program that lets you make games from scratch and is very user friendly.
Back to what I said about a waiting game, what I mean by this is that eventually, we will have a program for everything FFVI related, and hex editing will be obsolete due to the simplicity of game specific hacking programs. And when we have a program for everything, eventually one program will become dominent and we will only need one program for anything you could possible think of.
Just by looking at your questions, about half of them could be answered by just playing around with FF3usME Version 6.7.0 beta, the things it can't do, are widdled down to sprite editing, map editing and some other things scattered here and there.
If you want to learn hex editing, I'm not gonna stop you, but trust me, you better have a lot of times on your hands kiddy Tongue

Among the masters but not with them,
WrexSoul45 (NeoBahamut)

Whelp. I still remember this place 13 years since first joining   Laugh
  Find