Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Favorite self-imposed challenges?

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I just got done with a playthrough of ff6 Divergent Paths with a few self imposed challenges and thought this would be a good place to share self imposed challenges that you have tried and how much fun you have had with them.

In my latest playthrough, I played a combination of the following challenges and thought it was a blast:

1. Random esper assignments:

In this challenge when you get an esper you assign every character to a single number between 1-20 and when you receive an esper you roll to see who gets it. If said number is assigned to a character who can't use an esper or it lands on a unassigned number then the esper isn't used at all.

I personally now play every playthrough with this challenge as now there is next to no spell grinding and each character retains much of their uniqueness while still engaging with the esper system.

2. Limited revives:

I only allow myself to use Phoenix downs found in chests to revive characters. All dropped Phoenix downs are sold and I can't buy any in shops.

This makes battles feel more high stakes as now you have a limited number of times that you can bring anyone back. It isn't quite as punishing as an actual permadeath rule but still raises the stakes some.

3. No Moogle Charm:

I don't allow myself to use the Moogle Charm so that I have to get into battles that risk my characters, I figure this one is probably pretty common place.

I have heard of other challenges too (No magic, natural magic, low level, Celes, Edgar, Setzer, minimum steps etc) and I am interested to know people's experiences with these challenges or others that you do. 

I figure between the people here this game has probably been completed 10k times or more so I am excited to see what other people do and enjoy!
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Status
None
an oft-recycled and harsh self-imposed challenge:

4. Master of Kefka's Domain:

i walk aimlessly around Kefka's Tower without: engaging in close combat, pulling any switches, traveling through any tubes, and certainly flushing any toilets.

should i succeed, the timer will be at 99:59, and i'll be as blue as this website's default background.

nothing will have been accomplished, aside from maximum frustration in myself and annoyance in everyone near me.

Status
None
(02-04-2023, 09:20 AM)assassin Wrote: an oft-recycled and harsh self-imposed challenge:

4. Master of Kefka's Domain:

i walk aimlessly around Kefka's Tower without: engaging in close combat, pulling any switches, traveling through any tubes, and certainly flushing any toilets.

should i succeed, the timer will be at 99:59, and i'll be as blue as this website's default background.

nothing will have been accomplished, aside from maximum frustration in myself and annoyance in everyone near me.

Lmao, sounds like what happens when I let my child play, though admittedly she really likes flushing the toilet (and trapping NPCs in corners while eating at their tables).
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I've never really attempted any, but I've always been fascinated with the 'fewest step' challenge.
And I like the idea of a 'no shopping allowed' challenge, to have just what you can find.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
The no shopping challenge is definitely interesting, I once read a guide on fewest steps and it mostly boils down to using the Lete River trick to level up without gaining steps. Still, that one can be interesting too due to the limited nature of equips and espers you would have access to.
  Find