Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Swap which characters share palette

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Anybody know how to change what characters share a pallette, like in ff6 eternal crystals dk cecil (cyan) is in umaros place using cyan/ shadow/ setzers pallette and paladin cecil (cyan) is in cyans place using terras palette?
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
There are two sets of character palettes. There's the character's battle palette, which is tied to the actor graphic and is located in a single list. This is very easy to change, since it's one table in one location. If your hack is compatible with FF3USME, you can just set this directly as the battle palette.

The field palette is more difficult. Field actors do not determine their palettes based on their character graphic. Instead, it is set in the event script via a command, which assigns a palette to an actor slot regardless of what their character graphic is. You'll need to use an event dump to see where these commands occur and change the destination palette to whichever palette you want. You have to find all the instances where the palette is assigned, because characters may be set up multiple times and their palettes will be changed by that event command running again.
The command in question is like this:
Code:
{43-0A-05}            Assign palette $05 to character $0A (MOG)

Now, that'll handle the player actors, but there's one other wrinkle with field palettes... when there's an NPC that's masquerading as the actor for a cutscene. For those, you'll have to adjust the NPC data to use a different palette value instead of what they're assigned to: that can be done with a level editor like FF6LE.

FF6Tools may be able to do all of these things, but as I am unfamiliar with that editor I can't walk you through how to go about it.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Seifer (08-28-2022)

Status
None
Hey C-dude thanx for this, was looking for info for this but couldn’t find anything, sounds very complicated lol will need to look into it. Ff6tools can swap pallets over but not shared palettes trying to create a paladin Cecil but palettes are an issue as can’t use terras which has best suited colours. Also if I swap umaro out for someone else and give them abilities (fight, magic) will he be controllable?
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
No, just giving Umaro commands will not be enough, he will continue to be perma-berserk. You need to apply a patch like Gi Nattak's Functional Umaro to allow you to issue commands to that slot.
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-877.html

Note that that character slot will still attempt to use Storm, Tackle, and Throw unless you write some assembly to remove Umaro's special case with the Fight command.

As for your other question about palettes, it sounds like you're editing the palettes instead of changing the palette pointer assignment. I'm not seeing any way to change it in FF6Tools... that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means I can't figure out how to do it.
What you can do instead is edit the values directly with a hex editor, or open a copy of your ROM in an incompatible editor like FF3USME and make the changes you need, and then make a difference patch. You'll need to figure out which values need to stay put and which ones need to be transferred, because both FF3USME and FF6LE will place data in other spots of the ROM for their workspace, data in places FF6Tools will try to use for something else. When you use LunarIPS to make the difference patch, make sure to set it to create a log and then immediately apply that difference patch to the copy you modified with FF3USME/FF6LE. That will tell you which ROM addresses were altered, which you can compare against the ROM map to see what needs to be copied over to your master ROM and what can be ignored.
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...sm:rom_map
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Seifer (08-28-2022)

Status
None
Thanx again man was trying to put paladin Cecil in place of setzer but make setzer share a pallette with terra instead of cyan and shadows palette if that makes sense. Also want to keep terra.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Hatzen had a patch... "Synchronized palettes" I believe its called, that.... Makes characters use their battle palettes instead of individual set palettes.

It does work, but I've never used the patch itself. His documentation list all the changes and is easy enough to follow (regardless if you know exactly what your doing or not) however since I've never applied the IPS file, nor used it without other things going on with palettes... I can't promise anything that way.

I did here recently have an issue where event spawned NPCs were pre-set with battle palettes, but I think that was my 160 long battle palette list and some other code, not a direct result of that patch. Could have easily been my editing that caused it, regardless it was fixed by disconnecting it from field NPCs...

Just the same, might look it up. Its a nice patch. Between those and Assassin's readme files is pretty much how I learned enough to start learning code.

On another note, I never really got much from Lunar's difference logs. I always used compare in HxD, then of course pencil and papered the differences as they came across (but I'm odd like that) Lynar is probably a better method.

That being said, I believe Poco posted (once apon a time) a list of offsets where PC field sprites were given their palettes. Could also search for them in the eventscript log.

Just offering options.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
None
Hey catone thanks buddy will look into it. Metroid quest must have used a simpler method as most his pc sprites are original colours it’s only his 2 Cecil’s that use another palette, might try asking him personally but when I wrote to him before about a problem he said no n don’t think he wants anything to do with it anymore so I don’t know
  Find

Status
Zombie
Okay, Hatzens Synchronized Palettes will fix changed palettes in the shops, load, and selection screens (much easier than changing individual OAM data to mach any changed palettes.)

It'll also make any of the normal PCs to use Battle palettes (from one list) instead of all over the place.

Also, as long as you haven't got any other patched in code in C3/FFE4 - C3/FFFF you should be able to just applie the patch. Then whatever you set as a "battle palette" in the editor will cover all its palettes.

Find

Status
None
Will try this out bro thank you, will let u know how it goes.

I can’t find Hatzen’s patch on his page, can u link me it

I can’t find Hatzen’s patch on his page, can u link me it

Found it it’s cool, not really what I’m looking for as want to keep original palettes for cyan n shadow just want setzer to share a palette with terra.
  Find

Status
Zombie
It doesn't change any palettes. It just allows you to change all the standard character's palettes from one list.

Its also A lot easier than editing the OAM data required to get that changed palette to show up on the load menu, shops, and pretty sure roster selection. When you change the sprite, and palette, you'll have to change the battle palette anyway (also pretty sure FF3usME and others do it with a button).

It really is a nice bit of code.

Find