Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Gau dressed in Locke's outfit

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
[Image: RliwifB.png]
Gau, dressed in Locke's clothes during the Gau's father event/quest clothes shopping scene. The extra spot by the tent is a quick and nasty sprite of Setzer's outfit (quickly recolored to fit palette 1). 

It ain't pretty, could be a Lot better, etc. But remember, it was supposed to be "awkward" or otherwise a NO for the family reunion, least that's my justification for my sloppy work. It isn't just a cut and paste head swap, Gau is younger and skinnier than Locke, hence the noodle arms in most/several poses. 

The next time I needed a break from typing I was going to mutilate a "Gau dressed as Sabin" (gangly little Gau in a body builder's tank top... But while looking for an extra outfit to add with a palette 0 sprite, I think it's going to be Gau dressed in General Leo's outfit, with a single pose in Sabin's (what ever pose shows off noodle arms in a tank top) and I could see Terra and Celes suggesting Leo's clothes. Maybe add a Gau in Kefka's clown suit as an extra pose in Gau's standard sheet... That'd make 5 outfits to try on, not counting Gau in the suit. Should result in a respectably long event.

Since this would also leave me with a full sheet of Gau dressed as Locke, Leo, himself, and in an actual suit... 

Really it wouldn't take any effort to make those graphic sheets switchable, during the game, after the event. If its going to have 4 full sheets of Gau, why not provide the option to switch freely?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey catone love the hair on this sprite would make a good Locke as well, only thing I would change on this is gloves are off in some poses and arm thickness, really nice though. I found this gau I’m using in my game https://i.imgur.com/79HdcWS.jpg

Here’s his portrait https://i.imgur.com/Y3mWGUa.jpg

This is by far my favourite gau sprite.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Yeah, I got a little sloppy on most of the arms in walking poses, even for Gau's noodle arms.

... I guess it could pass as a teenage Locke, if cleaned up a lot, but again I just slapped it together as a slightly "goofy" outfit for Gau... In one sidequest, in one event...

If nothing else I'll probabaly add an option to change Gau's sprite to this (since it'll be in there already) at that point, it'll probably need alot of cleaning up if it has the chance to be switched to for normal gameplay.

Really, it was just an excuse to get out of going crossed eyed looking at hex code for an hour or two.

The Gau you posted looks far better than vanilla, and would be 100% believable for him to wear anywhere other than the Veldt. Be a little hot to wear all the extra layers in a place like that.

The game already checks for "on the Veldt" in many places, now I have to wonder if that check could replace his base sprite between vanilla on the Veldt, and furs elsewhere... I've never looked into that.

Find

Status
None
That would be awesome if u could do that, think this is what the mod did with it lol hopefully u can figure it out I’m no good at hex editing no idea how to lol
  Find

Status
Zombie
You realize, hex editing isn't really much different than sprite editing?
Opening up a hex editor and looking at a wall of hex values isn't really much different than looking at a wall of pixels. You don't make sprite sheets zoomed out to full page, you zoom in where you can see pixels.

Do you know the exact binary value of every color? I sure don't, but that doesn't stop you from using it. Place enough in the right order, you get a picture. Place enough hex in the right order you make that picture move.

Point being, its easy. Just can't let the zoomed out version intimidate you, or expect perfection on the first attempt. Applying rather small patches/bug fixes (with good readme files) manually instead of depending entirely on IPS files to match up is a good start, and event editing requires less math...

Find

Status
None
You explained that pretty well I just don’t know how to change the numbers into hex values I tried changing the jump animation from kneeling pose to pose before tent but can’t find any food explanations online n ur exactly right all the letters and numbers are intimidating lol how do I find what values to change or look for like offset DO/67D5 is 1067D5 in hex editor and only know this cause gi nattack told me lol can’t find what to change values of or look for
  Find

Status
Zombie
I can't remember the term, BUT offsets like D0/67D5 (to find in a hex editor) subtract C0/0000 to get the actual address in the editor.

I seem to recall there was a Hex editor that would display offsets like SNES sees them, but I always used "HxD" and a calculator when D0/ - C0/ doesn't compute.

Windows' calculator is your friend. Personally I like the old XP calculator, but Win10 still has a "Hex" mode (think you have to set it to "programmer" in newer Windows.

But thats how to read that part anyway. Subtract C0/0000 from the address to get the raw address.
D0/ - C0/ = 10/0000
C3/ - C0/ = 03/0000

As for what to do once your there... Yeah you picked a doozy to start editing on. Not sure if there is a proper disassembly on bank D0/. Personally all I have is one with the info I fished up adjusting battle intros for NPC sprites entering battle, then a little bit of a break down on a few battle events. No sort of break down as low as D0/67D5.

In other words, best I can suggest with what I know right now... Look for either a labeled "Bank D0 disassembly" or search for a post with information on how the data is sorted.

The idea is great, the lack of information on D0 just makes it a tuff place to start editing.

EDIT: After some looking, "Battle events" and commands are fairly documented, but that's all D0/9000 and up. Personally, I don't know what the data at /67D5 would be called, other than "Bank D0/" ...
Again, using that "extra" sprite slot as a pre-jump pose is a slick idea. What I don't know is, if a "simple" edit would make any sprite attempting to jump use that extra sprite (which means ANY PC using "jump" would require that extra sprite to not glitch or not. Wouldn't be difficult to write an exception type interrupt that would check for that sprite and only use the other pose for that sprite number... But that would really require knowing how that part of data is used/read.

DON'T give up on the idea, but it'll probably take some digging.

Find

Status
None
Hey catone I found this https://i.imgur.com/bFjRvMW.png
Is this what u were talking about? I just have to find what to change in the 81 14 14 part and find what the hex numbers are for pose after magic casting poses are and should be able to change it for jump
  Find

Status
Zombie
Yeah, I got that one now... ("Battleanimscript"... Nothing about "Bank D0"... Bleh)

Anyway, yes and no.

81 is the command: "change attacker graphic"
The following 2 bytes are the graphic to change to.

What I mean by no, I think you would want the one at D0/67DC instead of /67D5.

Character Will go to "battle ready" once the Jump command is selected, the at 67D5 the character "kneels"(graphic #14) (as in squats down to jump higher) a few frames later at line /67DC (again the 81 command) the character assumes a pose (in this case "jump" graphical pose #07) then launchas (with a shadowing trail behind them) into the top of the screen.

Fairly certain, the shadowing effect as they take off is the "echo" command mentioned at /67C9 and disabled at /67EB, but that's beside the point.

The pose the character "launches" in is the one at /67DC which I believe is the one you'll want to play with.

As for why 81 07 07? No clue why there are 2 "07"s other places in the script does have different values in each, but it seems thats more for walking-frame1 vs walking-frame2 etc.

In other words, for a static pose (like "jump is used normally, and the extra sprite in your case) they probably should be the same, so you'd change it from 81 07 07 to say 81 0A 0A for a change in pose.

As for what number?... That I have no clue. In this, "kneeling" is 14, in events kneeling is #09...

That being said, to my knowledge the "extra sprita" pose is the highest value of the poses, but can't say that translates at all to battle/animations. In other words, it might be a job of lots of trial and error. I find it hard to believe nobody has made a list of those values (in the very least it would tell you what numbers are not for the extra sprite.

Also, as I mentioned before, changing that will change EVERY character that uses the jump command. So, any character using jump would need the extra pose as well. Ideally, you'd ve able to add a character check at that point, and only use that graphic for that one character... I have no idea how to do that for that mess though, personally I'd manually give Kain the Jump command, then remove dragoon boots relic from the game, but thats just me.

Find

Status
None
Think I’ll just change kneeling sprite to kains jump animation seems a lot easier just means he will do jump pose rather than kneeling but seems so complicated so don’t have a choice lol yeah can’t find DO bank disassembly anywhere, looked quite a bit n thanks for ur help buddy really appreciate it
  Find