Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Script Rewrite (Final Draft) Underway!

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Thanks guys, just give me time to sort through the data.  Right now, I’m relying on FF6tools and FF3usME.  FF6tools has started to teach me which part of the hex/rom is being utilized for pointers.  I suppose I could take that info and apply it while using windhex?  I have the dialog table for windhex, so I might be able to track it down without starting over.  I also have ROM maps, but I haven’t yet looked at them even once.  I just assumed this was going to be simple.   Laugh

I’ll PM the two of you a little bit later.  Right now it’s tricky to prioritize the work, so I can’t really give an estimated time.  But, I’ll try to keep you updated as best I can.

Fast moon, would your dialog editor create the same problem you describe in your previous post?  Moving the pivot?
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
(03-10-2023, 03:02 AM)Joshua H. Wrote: Fast moon, would your dialog editor create the same problem you describe in your previous post?  Moving the pivot?

It shouldn't.  Mine holds the entire dialogue table in memory while you're editing it and then recalculates all the positions before saving it, which is why saving is a two-step process: one to commit your changes to the table stored in local memory, and the second to recalculate all the addresses in the updated table and save them back to the ROM instead of trying to do it on the fly with every change you make, which is likely what FF3usME is doing.  The limitation of my editor is that it doesn't give you that nice dialogue box preview to know whether what you've written is going to overflow onto a new page.  But it should be cross-compatible with any export files to/from FF3usME as long as you haven't expanded or moved anything dialogue-wise.

If you're editing event code, that gets a bit dicey if you're using a tool, and I'm not sure how FF6Tools handles it.  I do all my event editing manually in a hex editor because there's too many dependencies concerning specific memory locations and such to be comfortable relying on a tool that obfuscates that.
  Find

Status
None
OKAY! The pointer for the Blackjack is off, BIG time... I think it's still something I can resolve using FF6tools though. Give me a few more days. How do I embed images? Just in case I can't figure it out on my own, I want to be able to show my work, and how it's being presented in the editing tool I'm using.
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
(03-10-2023, 07:22 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: OKAY!  The pointer for the Blackjack is off, BIG time...  I think it's still something I can resolve using FF6tools though.  Give me a few more days.  How do I embed images?  Just in case I can't figure it out on my own, I want to be able to show my work, and how it's being presented in the editing tool I'm using.

I just upload screenshots to imgur and then use the BBCode link.
  Find

Status
None
Got it. I'm starting to get to clearly see the problem... For one (using FF6tools), the blackjack book on map 6 doesn't point to itself as a pointer. The blackjack book is also referencing different things between the base ROM and the modded ROM.

In an unrelated way, certain parts of the code are being overwritten/obfuscated. I notice that while using FF6tools on the modded ROM, there is no Return, Return World, or Post Battle pointer... At least none that I can find as of yet...

Finally, I think I know how I'm creating that scenario... Just give me a few more days and I'll show my work via FF6tools.

I'll also practice using windhex... See what I can find.
  Find

Status
None
Sorry for the massive delay on this final step of the project.  I’m in the middle of a career change and can’t manage to prioritize the project as of yet.  I may be able to start again by the end of the year, or maybe even as late as 2024.

Thanks everyone.

PEACE!
  Find