released on 03/27/2022
apply to FF3us 1.0 (no header)
wiki entry
download
readme

ROM info
Code:
Database match: Final Fantasy III (USA)
Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210222-050638)
File/ROM SHA-1: 4F37E4274AC3B2EA1BEDB08AA149D8FC5BB676E7
File/ROM CRC32: A27F1C7A

Files
Code:
mastered-nh.ips: IPS patch for vanilla ROM (user's color icon)
mastered-blue-nh.ips: IPS patch for vanilla ROM (blue icon)
mastered-ran-nh.ips: IPS patch compatible with the Restored Ability Names hack (user's color icon)
mastered-blue-ran-nh.ips: IPS patch compatible with the Restored Ability Names hack (blue icon)
asm/: folder containing the bass assembly files of the 4 hacks
asm/star.bin: 8x8 2BPP star icon used for the hack

Description
This hack adds a star icon to each mastered Esper in the Esper menu. An Esper is mastered when all its spells are learned. There's a version of the hack that draw a blue star instead of the user's color (white by default). There are also two hacks versions that are compatible with Angelo/Silent Enigma Restored Ability Names patch. You can specify a different icon and disable star icon insertion in any of the assembly files.

Each hack use between 130 ($82) bytes and 210 ($D2) bytes of free space at $EEAF01. This free space offsets can be changed in the bass asm file by changing the offset of the "seek($EEAF01)" macro call. The hacks use no free space in bank $C3.

To assemble the hack use bass v14 by typing a command such as "bass -o rom.smc mastered.asm".

Links
Restored Ability Names (v1.6)

[Image: screenshot_a.png] [Image: screenshot_b.png]
  Find
[-] The following 7 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (02-22-2022), h.carrell (02-23-2022), Lightning (02-23-2022), Rodimus Primal (02-24-2022), SilentEnigma (02-22-2022), SSJ Rick (02-26-2022), Xiao (05-16-2022)

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
That looks nice! I'm not sold on the overlap with the scrollbar though. Perhaps you could swap between MP cost and the Master icon (or no icon) using Y, similar to how Y swaps between displaying Learn% and MP cost in the spell menu?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-22-2022, 06:41 PM)seibaby Wrote: Perhaps you could swap between MP cost and the Master icon (or no icon) using Y, similar to how Y swaps between displaying Learn% and MP cost in the spell menu?

Yeah that's a good idea, I'll look into it!
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Really nice idea on this one! It's always tedious going through each Esper to see which spells my characters don't know.  I agree with Seibaby that a button to swap in/out the MP would be useful.  In fact, I don't care about losing the MP altogether, but others might care.  If you implement this, can you have the stars shown by default instead of the MP? Many people might not know to use the Y button, after all.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-23-2022, 12:19 PM)Lightning Wrote: I agree with Seibaby that a button to swap in/out the MP would be useful.  In fact, I don't care about losing the MP altogether, but others might care.  If you implement this, can you have the stars shown by default instead of the MP?

Yeah that's probably the way I'll go about that for vanilla ROM. However this will not work either way with the Restored Ability Names patch because Esper names are 12 letters and there's only one spot to add the icon.
  Find

Status
None
Another nice detail might be to display MP cost in the small window that says "Espers" when you hover over an esper, in the same way it does for spells in the magic list.
  Find

Status
None
(02-23-2022, 12:25 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 12:19 PM)Lightning Wrote: I agree with Seibaby that a button to swap in/out the MP would be useful.  In fact, I don't care about losing the MP altogether, but others might care.  If you implement this, can you have the stars shown by default instead of the MP?

Yeah that's probably the way I'll go about that for vanilla ROM. However this will not work either way with the Restored Ability Names patch because Esper names are 12 letters and there's only one spot to add the icon.

I personally don't use the restored ability patch anyway.  The only names I have interest in expanding are the monster names, and the restored patch doesn't deal with that (for good reason, I'm sure).  I have monster special attack names expanded in FF3usME, and that is good enough for me!
  Find

Status
None
I was thinking about this patch today while testing my hack. I already miss having this feature even though It has never existed. Lol. Anyway, I was thinking I really don't care if the MP usage of the Espers is gone altogether if it's easier to code. I doubt anyone would notice it missing, honestly, and I'm sure it would use fewer bytes (although free bytes are not a big deal with my hack, at least not yet).
  Find

Status
None
It's the only place where you can see MP costs for espers outside of battle, if I'm not mistaken. In LLGs, your MP is low enough that you equip espers based on who can afford them, so I wouldn't say nobody would miss it.
  Find

Status
None
(03-04-2022, 06:44 AM)seibaby Wrote: It's the only place where you can see MP costs for espers outside of battle, if I'm not mistaken. In LLGs, your MP is low enough that you equip espers based on who can afford them, so I wouldn't say nobody would miss it.

I guess you are right.  I always just looked at the MP usage in-battle and simply equipped espers based on which characters have learned the magic or not.  I suppose this can change based on the hack in question, though.
  Find