Patch: Alphabetical Rage Checklist Addendum

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
author: SilentEnigma
Download

This is a compatibility patch for combining @Assassin's Alphabetical Rage with Novalia Spirit's Rage Checklist.

Normally, when Rage Checklist is applied on top of Alphabetical Rage, it wipes out the alphabetization of the Rage list in the field menu. This patch restores the lost alphabetization:

[Image: AZ-rage-checklist-addendum.png]

.zip  AZRageChecklistAddendum_v1.0.zip (2.21 KB, 26 downloads)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • assassin (12-03-2021), Warrax (12-01-2021)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
First time I hear about this promising patch called Rage Checklist, in fact...it's not even in the archive you linked and I can't find the original patch anywhere other than the second link you provided in the readme file. Good stuff, will try it out.

Find

Status
None
For people who do not know what the "Rage Checklist" is:

This is a patch that allows you to see what rages are currently available on the veldt. If you look at the attached picture posted by SilentEnigma, you will notice that most of the rages are "faded". These are the rages that can be found at the current point in the story. As the story progresses, the list will update and more of the "faded" rages will be added. Then when you get a rage, it will turn white in the menu list. This patch is really nice if you want to keep the original rage mechanics intact, but streamline the process. If you are a completionist, then you will love this hack as I believe there are 200+ rages.

Then there is the addendum patch which makes "Alphabetical Rage" and "Rage Checklist" compatible (this thread here, obviously). This is great because with the 200+ rages, it can be annoying trying to find which one you want to use since the list of rages is normally not alphabetized. These two QOL patches work great together in making the process of dealing with Gua's rages much more pleasant.  

Also I tried the link for "Rage Checklist" as well and it is not in the archive. I went to the old revisions page and I think there is a request? I don't really know how this stuff works so here is a link as to what I am referring to:

https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...=revisions

EDIT: The request was accepted and "Rage Checklist" is now in the archive.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sia for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (12-03-2021)

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
i think there was more to interoperability than that.  these code files don't make a lot of sense without the slickproductions.org thread that links them, and that website is having domain issues (and i don't have the IP addy handy).  but here goes:

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/patches/...l-c3-3.txt
http://assassin17.brinkster.net/patches/...l-c3-4.txt

hell if i remember the finer points of the discussion, which was in 2016 and 2017.  perhaps you can reverse engineer what we said from the code. ;P

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-01-2021, 04:57 PM)Sia Wrote: Also I tried the link for "Rage Checklist" as well and it is not in the archive. I went to the old revisions page and I think there is a request?

I just approved SilentEnigma's wiki changes so Rage Checklist is now available for download.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (12-02-2021)

Status
None
huh... so you apparently keep the $7E9D89 menu data list more raw, and do modifications/decisions from that further downstream.

at first, i was thinking, "does he know he's inverting how my patch did things??".  your screenshot was the only thing convincing me your approach wasn't backwards. Tongue   you definitely diverge (from my initial patch and addendum) on the list building by virtue of keeping Novalia Spirit's initial function call.  but your added code ("rgcolor" per N.S. naming), called on list display, then converges on treatment of X, and balances things out with the necessary additional translation step to A.

have you reasoned through or tested how this would work on Pugs (and Allo Ver and Siegfried, if applicable)?  that's a potential pitfall.  my addendum might not even have worked fully on those, but i did try and account for it/them to some degree, so it could be worth verifying that our results (especially in weird or hacked cases) match.  i wish the Slick discussion was accessible, so i could see known shortcomings of or issues with mine.

i leave you with this mind-blowing optimization:

Code:
C3/FD88: AA          TAX
C3/FD89: 4C F0 50    JMP $50F0

==>

Code:
C3/FD88: 4C EF 50    JMP $50EF
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (12-03-2021)

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
Hi @assassin,

Thanks for checking this out.

The Slick discussion is archived here:
https://web.archive.org/web/202004141251...ic=2245.60

I thought I read it well enough before, but I did miss the fact that you were working on a compatibility mod yourself. With that in mind, this patch is just the easy part. It does not address Pugs at all. That's a patch for another day.
(Like, Saturday.)

Good eye with the optimization. Thank you!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • assassin (12-03-2021)

Status
None
thanks.  okay, i discussed how to deal with Pugs on 1/14/2017 (and forward), with my addendum being a follow-through on those steps.  since your addendum seems to be interchangeable enough with mine, they'd probably work with yours, too.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
This is really a great patch, it act like a Beastiary at the same time and it's very welcome. However it conflicts with Restrict Espers (tested with version from Substraction) and Three Column Espers. PatchConflict doesn't detect anything and I think it's because of the C3 optimizations introduced in Rage Checklist so the fix might just be some pointers changes.

Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(12-01-2021, 12:19 AM)SilentEnigma Wrote: author: SilentEnigma
Download

This is a compatibility patch for combining @Assassin's Alphabetical Rage with Novalia Spirit's Rage Checklist.

Normally, when Rage Checklist is applied on top of Alphabetical Rage, it wipes out the alphabetization of the Rage list in the field menu. This patch restores the lost alphabetization:

[Image: AZ-rage-checklist-addendum.png]

One of the issues I ran into with TWUE when adding Alphabetical Rage was the difference in names after editing them. Does the subroutine now strictly use A through Z, or does it just rearrange the order they are in based on the games ID? Also, would I need to remove Rage Checklist before getting this to work properly?

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find