Dissidia Sedecim - A recreation of FF6's combat engine

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
New demo!

As usual, updates for the project at https://twitter.com/tiemff
Now we got portraits from ezeyona, remaking modern FF characters in the FF6 portrait style.

In this demo I've finished all the FF1 jobs I want to add to the game. Warrior/Knight, White Mage/Wizard, Black Mage/Wizard, Monk/Master. I've also added plenty of new items and spells (but a lot of placeholder animations) and a new boss, Garland. Garland is not actually 100% faithful to FFI, I patched up a routine inspired by Chaos and using the spells I had already added to the game.

There's lots of new items now so character customization should be way more interesting. Try out different parties and set ups, see if you can beat every boss.

And, of course, every crash/bug you find, take a screenshot (alt+print screen), take note of what you were doing and send it to dissidiasedecim@gmail.com 

For the next demos we'll get more bosses and polish up the engine.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Lefe for this post:
  • C-Dude (06-01-2020), Warrax (06-01-2020)

Status
None
New year's special, Cecil Harvey and Zeromus

I've remade Cecil using the DS remake augment system. There's some augments in the game already but the list is incomplete, there's plenty more to be added to make him a really interesting character.

I've also given him the option of shifting between Dark Knight and Paladin mid battle, which makes him so much more interesting to play. For an instance, you could have two augment set ups that make the different forms feel like different characters. Example:
Paladin
Magic
AllCast (allows any spell to be cast on the entire party)
Cover
Brace (greatly reduces damage taken, it's like an improved Defend option)

This Paladin Cecil has zero attack skills and it's geared entirely for support. You'd want to use him if your party is in the crapper. But if you need to take on the offense
Dark Knight
Dark (when used triggers Darkness mode, where Cecil does more damage in exchange for HP, and exchanges the Dark command for Wave, an AoE attack. Lasts 3 moves)
Counter (counters any attack with the first action in the command menu, in this case Dark)
Adrenaline (boosts offensive power when HP is under 50%)
Draw Attacks (makes enemies more likely to target him)

This DK Cecil is a suicide strategy. He keeps getting attacked and countering with an HP draining move. It can put out a lot of damage in a short time, but also won't last too long without someone to heal him.

So if you're creative you can create strategies that go off the beaten path with Cecil.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lefe for this post:
  • madsiur (01-01-2021)

Status
None
Wow it's been a long time since I've posted here. I forgot to post about the last update, the most significant one too.

The game now has a gauntlet mode where you can fight through a series of fights and face a final boss at the end. So far it's only low level gameplay but we'll add more difficult tiers in future updates.

This update also has a big departure from the original FFVI combat system and from FF combat in general: You can see enemy intention, their ATB and even who they're targeting. The goal is to make the player more reactive and give the player the chance to plan further ahead. If you don't want to see any of that info you can just toggle it off and play it like a classic FF game.

However I invite you to try it with this change. I find it that when I play with the ATB on I heal way less often and tend to use moves like defense, change row or buffs/debuffs more often. Without the ATB I end up doing a lot of pre-emptive healing and IMO healing is such a non-action in a game, it's just undoing the natural flow of the battle which is attrition and see who resists to the end.

Anyway, this is not all, since that update I've been working on the Onion Knight and got some jobs done already: Dragoon, Viking, Summoner and Geomancer. I still need to work on the Sage and Ninja but I'm leaving those for when I create higher level gameplay content. Here's a video showing off all of the geomancer abilities:

You know there's a reason we don't see Geomancers in the series anymore. By design this job is a pain for both the developer and the player. On the dev side it means creating a ton of unique animations, really time consuming, and the player might not even see them. That's because on the player side there are TWO uncontrollable aspects dictating the Geomancer skills: the background you're at and sheer luck. This makes the Geo very unreliable.

I plan to remedy this by:
- Giving the Geo some actually worthwhile skill
- Luck upgrades allowing top tier attacks to trigger more often
- Allowing the player to choose if they'll target the enemies or the allies, giving them control over what kind of Geo action you get (offense or support)
- Writing an actual AI to choose the Geo's attacks, so it doesn't choose a healing spell if everyone's HP is full and it doesn't choose an instant KO attack on an enemy that's immune to death
- Giving the Geo a new skill similar to Relm's paint: You can save the background of the battle you're in right now and release it in the next battle. It's the background that determines which skills come out so this way you can have more control of your geo abilities.

That's it, I'll keep posting updates here and writing these in-depth explanations. The project's moving slower now but it's steady.
  Find