Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Having difficulty opening crystaltile2 as well.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
crystaltile2

It gives me the same problem as FF3usME did a while back.  No response at all when I try to open the application...nothing.

With FF3H, at least I get a pop-up window.  With crystaltile2, nothing happens.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
It opens on my Windows 10 Desktop. The DLLs contained in the folder are from the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86), so maybe installing the full dependency could fix your issue.
  Find

Status
None
Okay, so I’d search for the full dependency online...any keyword I use during the search?

Getting ready to my first mini dive into rom editing, so are there any other utilities I should look out for?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I think this is the one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download...x?id=26999

I think the SP1 contains everything since the other download is no longer on the Microsoft website. I personally never used Crystaltile2 or FF3H, there are other save editors that can work. For hex editing I use HxD or Windhex.
  Find

Status
None
yep...I just feel like I might need something with training wheels...the description for Crytaltile seemed to imply that it was specifically built for vintage game roms? I may have read into that. I booted up HxD a while back and opened a SNES rom, but I couldn't get the rom itself to yield the hex grid that I've seen elsewhere...you know the row & column grid...I'll do it again soon and take a screenshot. Maybe sometime this weekend.

I'm also curious about the level editor found on this site...can I use that to make changes to a dialog prompt from the game that has been purposely left blank by me? While I've been retooling the script for FF6 sometimes I run into a situation where the caption is left blank but the game will prompt the dialog box for said caption anyway. I've double-checked my work and it has nothing to do with the "End Of Page" OP code...is there a way to fix a problem like that inside the FF6 level editor? If so, then how?

Apologies if I'm misusing some of the terms here, still learning the craft...

I'll download "windex" shortly...
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
About the dialog prompt & level editor - if it's FF6LE we're talking about, then no... it cannot do any changes to the event code itself, which is what dialog boxes and pretty much everything else that takes place during the game includes. There exists however nowadays another utility that includes a level editor, along with a helluva lot of other features, made by Everything called FF6Tools, which is browser based and can do event editing. I'd recommend using it instead of doing it the more tedious way, which is via a hex editor... it'd be a lot more user friendly I'd imagine if just starting out, although I'm sure there'd be a bit of a learning curve involved. It includes the entire 'event script' so you can search for whatever you'd like to edit (Ctrl+F) by searching for a specific line of dialog or what have you, then edit away.
FF6 Tools thread: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3321.html

This is assuming the ROM you are intending to use it with doesn't have a bunch of relocated and/or expanded data etc.

The other option would be to do it the good ol' fashion way, with a hex editor and referencing the 'event dump' document, which you can find here on the wiki along with a few other helpful event hacking infos: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...s:doc:game
This way is simple: locate the event code you wish to change with the event dump.txt, and then going to that offset in hex and making it happen lol.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
Okay, that’s the ticket. I’ve blinked at FF6tools for a couple of seconds back in June. I should be able to handle that editors learning curve. I’ve been using FF3usME over the last month. The rom I’m using right now should be hassle free. It IS expanded: TW Uncensored, but it shouldn’t have anything rearranged to point where it’ll fall apart. If I have to, I’ll use a vanilla rom for the edits.

My bottom line is to make a script that can be used as a starter package for future rom hack projects. Expanded to 32 bits so the dialog is presented in complete sentences. So I really just need access to the vanilla stuff in terms of events (or skits as it were).

That being said. There’s a part of me that DOES want to become familiar with hex, so I’ll keep cracking away at it until I can get this application to work for me. I’ll make it a priority to attach a screen shot of the issue I mentioned previously involving HxD before tomorrow is done with.

Thanks guys. I’ll turn my attention to FF6 Tools.
  Find

Status
None
Sorry I haven’t gotten around to uploading that attachment today. FF6Tools has been taking up most of my time. There’s just a glimpse of how hex code works built into the layout of it. I’ll let you guys know if I run into further issues in general via this thread...thanks for the assist.
  Find