Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How difficult would this be? NEW GAME +

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(07-14-2021, 10:53 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(07-14-2021, 09:34 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: Gi - Event bit $066 is not unused. Are you sure it isn't $061?

Ah yes, you're right, event bit 66 is totally used. I meant the event command:
66 : 5    : Nonexistant. Unused in standard game.

I was also incorrect in saying that the event code bytes are "few", I forgot that there is a bit more general event coding in regards to handling the characters, 168 bytes or so... but that's not much still considering it does leave out all that bit clearing.

Makes sense. Joshua, note that if you're going to put this code into Divergent Paths, you will run into a conflict. I use the following new event commands:
66 - Check a character's equipment (used when recruiting Kappa and for Vargas's command switching)
67 - Teach a magic spell to a character (used for Paladin Banon)
A3 - Change a character's command (used for Gau learning Fight and for Vargas's command switching)

So if you use the NG+ patch, you'll want to move it to event command 68 or 69.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Joshua H. (07-14-2021)

Threads: 11
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(07-14-2021, 09:34 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: Instead of the 8 dragons, you could check to make sure that all 3 statues have been defeated. IE - you're at the end battle. You could even add in a dialogue option in the ending cutscene, before it displays the screen "The End".

Gi - Event bit $066 is not unused. Are you sure it isn't $061?

For sure.  This is a side thought, but there’s an SRAM expansion patch (.ips file) for FF6 that may come in handy just in case one wanted to put the condition so close to the end screen.  With a patch like that, you may even be able to creat an additional Mog skit.  Where he would present the NG+ feature after the old save had been selected.  So the condition would be, “if” save selected has clear data (or boss defeated) data “then” cue Mog skit...that may be a hot mess though.  You might have to start the build from scratch instead of using Master Zed’s build.

This should link it: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/archiv...-3694.html

Yep. I fallow all that...just need time to get confident enough with hex...so I can’t even guess at a deadline for something like this. At least the footwork has been hashed out for the public. I wouldn’t have been able to do that on my own, so thanks guys.
  Find

Status
None
Oh you won't need SRAM expansion for this. You just need 1 new event bit (to indicate that it's a NG+ playthrough), and there are plenty of unused ones. As far as event code, you could do the NG+ check in just a handful of event bytes.
4 bytes inline - add a subroutine to the ending cutscene that inserts the dialogue asking if you want to start a NG+
14 bytes ($0D) - The dialogue to ask if you want to start a new game plus.
9 bytes - Set an event bit, use the event command, and branch back to the opening cutscene.

If you are working off of Divergent Paths, there are several sections in the event code where you could squeeze in a 14 byte and a 9 byte routine. If you are using vanilla, there are 18 bytes available by default, and it is not hard to free up 9 bytes somewhere else. For example, by overwriting some of the unused scenes.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(07-14-2021, 11:48 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: 9 bytes - Set an event bit, use the event command, and branch back to the opening cutscene.

You've also got to set up a subroutine that resets all the event bits to their initial values... I don't think the opening cutscene does that by default.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Joshua H. (07-14-2021)

Status
None
That should still be as simple as a copy/paste of MZ’s NG+ subroutine though, correct? That’s if the cutscene doesn’t contain said subroutine?

I’m assuming the events bits you’re referencing are the ones that indicate such: this file contains xyz common items, etc..

Also, just a reminder to those reading this. MZ’s patch does NOT include PC level data.
  Find

Status
None
(07-14-2021, 12:47 PM)C-Dude Wrote:
(07-14-2021, 11:48 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: 9 bytes - Set an event bit, use the event command, and branch back to the opening cutscene.

You've also got to set up a subroutine that resets all the event bits to their initial values... I don't think the opening cutscene does that by default.

From what Gi has posted, the patch contains an event command that will reset all of the event bits to their initial state. So the code would be something like
67 - Reset event bits
D0 61 - Set event bit 61
C0 27 01 __ __ __ - branch to the opening cutscene

That's where I get my 9 bytes. You might also need to set the event bit that differentiates the opening cutscene from attract mode, so that would add 2 bits too.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Joshua H. (07-14-2021)

Status
None
(07-14-2021, 01:58 PM)PowerPanda Wrote:
(07-14-2021, 12:47 PM)C-Dude Wrote:

From what Gi has posted, the patch contains an event command that will reset all of the event bits to their initial state. So the code would be something like
67 - Reset event bits
D0 61 - Set event bit 61
C0 27 01 __ __ __ - branch to the opening cutscene

That's where I get my 9 bytes. You might also need to set the event bit that differentiates the opening cutscene from attract mode, so that would add 2 bits too.

Here's a copy of the New Game + .ips as I found it last year...just wanted to share it here so that anyone who's interested in building their own New Game + patch doesn't have to start from scratch.

Attached Files
.ips  FF3NG_~1.IPS (323 bytes, 3 downloads)
  Find