Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Vanilla script rewrite underway_

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
My main reason for the rewrite is this: To provide those of us interested in making a reinterpretation of the original game with a script that isn't bound by Copywrite law.  That's a stretch, I know, but the GBA.ips and even TW Uncensored.ips both rely on Copywrited material...  I want to give people here an option to start fresh.  Focusing on what's important to them; making their own dream version of the game.  My initial dub of the project was named the Revised Standard script.  For a Revised Standard version of the vanilla game...just something I had in mind earlier on. Right now I'm trying to format it to work with Panda's latest release.  However, I'm familiar with other projects, like FF3 Remake, as well.  And, would like to make my rewrite available to every one of you here. If you'd like me to format this script to fit your hack, please give me the name of said hack and I'll hunt it down on the interwebs... Anyone interested in helping me get to the final draft stage, please contact me however you feel comfortable...

So far, I've finished minor edits to:
1) Most of the beginning all the way up to The Returners Hideout.
2) Lockes escape from South Figaro.
3) Parts of the build-up to the party's first visit to Vector. Starting from Kefka's raid on Narshe all the way up to the party's escape from Vector.
4) Lockes side quest in the WOR.
5) Every bit of the ending. 

You should find a copy of the rough draft attached to this thread - below.  I look forward to completing this project for everyone here.  And, thanks for the support.

Attached Files
.txt  script_rerwite.txt (265.74 KB, 8 downloads)
  Find

Status
None
OKAY!

Here's what I can gather from my next batch of edits...there's MORE than this, for sure, but I don't want to bog down the thread. None of what you're reading has been tested to see if it fits the dialog box in FF6ME yet, but it'll happen...just give it time. Once I'm done with the RD, I'll upload another .txt file for the first draft. So I can get that underway and continue sharing my work.

[caption #2031]
Strago: This cannot be_! <D>
The Statues of the Warring Triad!
Terra: The [Warring Triad]?!

[caption #2032]
Strago: The birth of mana_! Those gods were banished HERE?! <EOP>
Strago: Their endless rivalry, that's what lead to the creation of Mana itself!

[caption #2033]
Locke: Faint letters are carved on the back of each of them_
<EOP>
Locke:
_birth_
_of_
_mana_

[caption #2034]
Locke: What exactly are these statues, again?

[caption #2035]
Strago: According to legend, these three gods brought the [power of magic] into EXISTENCE_!
<EOP>
Terra: So_they're the [gods of magic], then?
Strago: You could say that!

[caption #2036]
Terra: I can feel them calling me_ <EOP>
Strago: Their ancient struggle for rulership over the four elemental laws' of nature, drew them into endless warfare. <EOP>
Strago: The quintessential result of their violent conflict with each other gave birth to Mana itself. <EOP>
Strago: Together, they represent power beyond all comprehension!

[caption #2037]
Terra: Our espers, no doubt, must have come to Triadic Island so they could bask in all the Mana to be had here!

[caption #2038]
Strago: After eons of violence, they finally realized the futility of continuous warfare and agreed to seal themselves away_forever. <EOP>
Strago: These statues are said to be the result of their agreement. Their final request was that someone keep them hidden away for all eternity.

[caption #2039]
Strago: Legend has it, the espers were there to answer the Triad's request, vowing to let them rest in eternal peace.

[caption #2040]
Locke: So_they hid them here, in these mountains! <EOP>
Terra: If the espers were drawn here, they must be around somewhere_

[caption #2041]
Locke: I wonder if The Empire hasn't been searching for the Triad all along_ <EOP>
Strago: Legend has it that if someone were to awaken these three_ <EOP>
Strago: They would be granted unlimited access to the laws' nature until the end of time.

[caption #2042]
Terra: I wonder if the barrier that protects the espers realm from ours is powered by these statues?
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
The monument powering the barrier to the esper realm is a nice touch.

I wonder though if "Four Elements" clashes with the imagery of the Triad. Perhaps it's because I perceive them as each being a god of one form of magic, but I think it's important to keep that 'three' concept locked down with them.

I do have to warn you though, I made the same mistake with this scene; they're not actually the statues of the three gods (those are in the Esper Realm itself); they're three monuments commemorating the War of the Magi, erected by the Espers. They use the small statue sprite instead of the three giant ones you see on Floating Continent.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Joshua H. (07-04-2021)

Status
None
For sure! Thanks, my brain just exploded into edit mode after the post!
Right now I'm trying to keep my "Toyoda cap" off. But I don't mind feedback like that at all. I'm trying to go for the classic stuff_like the four greek elements...you know? Honestly, I just needed a shorter word for "magical power". That takes up a LOT of space...LOL! I'll go back when I'm doing the first draft and insert the Mana in place of magical power when I get there.

Sometimes, back in the day, people would overlay two SUPER simple matrices over one another: 4 and 3 were common.

That was usually done while telling creation stories to their children_showing them simple numbers in the form of matricies as a teaching tool.

Again, using 4 and 3 in combination with each other was common.

This part of the "meta" for FF6 is kind of creation story-ish, so I'm hoping it pays off.
  Find

Status
None
Don't you fight the 3 Goddesses in Kefka's Tower? Goddess, Doom (looks like FF8 Omega Weapon IIRC), and something else?

May be possible to divine the developers intent for the 3 from their boss forms.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MysticLord for this post:
  • Joshua H. (07-04-2021)

Status
None
I was thinking about that...originally I intended to have Locke describe it that way based on the letters found on the back of the statues. At the end of the day, it works better to have them become the origin of “Mana” and move on from there. Like I say, I’d rather have more room during exposition by saying Mana, instead of magical power, or magic...ya know?

The concept is:

The Triad = Mana
Espers = Elemental Power
Magicite = The perfect combination between Mana and Elemental Power.

In that way the notion of triplicates will remain intact.
The “four laws of nature” are just a nod to the concept of Elemental Power.

I did go back to having the statues be monumental, though. They’re not actually the gods themselves...

(07-04-2021, 02:40 AM)C-Dude Wrote: The monument powering the barrier to the esper realm is a nice touch.

I wonder though if "Four Elements" clashes with the imagery of the Triad.  Perhaps it's because I perceive them as each being a god of one form of magic, but I think it's important to keep that 'three' concept locked down with them.

I do have to warn you though, I made the same mistake with this scene; they're not actually the statues of the three gods (those are in the Esper Realm itself); they're three monuments commemorating the War of the Magi, erected by the Espers.  They use the small statue sprite instead of the three giant ones you see on Floating Continent.

I kind of see what your saying right now, though.  There ARE three forms of magic in game: based on the icons of “ white - black - grey”.  I might be able to write that in.  Half of Strago’s vanilla exposition about the statues involves the birth of the espers...and that’s what I chose to switch up in favor of the birth of Mana  So, I might be able to highlight the Triadic nature of the gods after all.  Thanks again, c-dude.
  Find

Status
None
Alright! Hit that point in the script where they cross over to the WOR! A copy of the .txt can be found below. It's still "alot" bit sloppy, but the finishing line is in sight! Once I set to work on that first draft, I should be able to buzz right through it.  It'll just entail cross-referencing the major terms used during the exposition and world-building so that everything sticks.  Right now, I'll be story-boarding more than editing, until I get to the end of the WOR. The second draft will focus on grammar and syntax...bummer.  That one may take more time than I'd like it to.

Just about every major field event has been edited up to the WOR. Minus the in-town NPC stuff.  If you find things erased right now it's because I'll most likely be reinserting it into the script as it was found.  If you see lines repeated right now it's because I'm not sure how to command the rom to ignore them.  Repeated lines will eventually be removed.

Please, enjoy this final release of the rough draft. Any feedback (in any form) should be well received by me, as I'm interested in improving my craft.

Attached Files
.txt  script_rewrite.txt (265.02 KB, 2 downloads)
  Find

Status
None

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MysticLord for this post:
  • Joshua H. (07-07-2021)

Status
None
Rock on!  That’ll fit the three aspects of magic thing out VERY well.  I did get a chance to right that in.  “White, Black, and also Red Magic” is how it’s written.  I’ll dig into this when I can.

Oh yeah, I scrapped the the whole four elements thing in favor of being more ambiguous with it.  The four classic elements don’t really lend themselves to FIR/LIT/ICE as well as I’d imagined.

Just finished up the last bit of "main character" dialog for the WOR a few minutes ago.  Storyboarding is basically over with.  All of the meta/exposition dialogs are in the bag.  Now...on to the second draft phase, so I can really sink my teeth into this thing.  If I don't post a new thread for that by the end of the week.  It'll be sure to come by the end of the month.

Oh, I forgot make use of an emoticon... Shine
  Find

Status
None
Here's every ounce of the Gerad/Edgar Dialog (minus Sabin's text):

In the town of Nikeah...

[caption #2324]
This ship's been chartered by the Crimson Goons.

[caption #2332]
Gerad: Ya know how ta get inta Figaro Castle, dontcha?!
<EOP>
Goon: G'ho-ho-ho, do we eve', boss!

[caption #2333]
Gerad: Good! You boys lead de way. Once we get in, I use my tools, see?

[caption #2335]
Goon: From outta no-where's
a bunch a [sandwoyms] busted
inta de prison!
<EOP>
Goon: We took de tunnels
dey made back [up-top].

[caption #2336]
Goon: De last boss [bought-it]
back den_we met up wit' dis
clown somewhere's in town here.
<EOP>
Goon: He's got a REAL funny way of talkin'_

[caption #2337]
Goon: De boss wants us ta sneak inta Figaro Castle. *chuckle*
<EOP>
Goon: Says he needs ta get
[dat booty] from de safe.
G'ho-ho-ho-ho! G'ha-ha-ha!

[caption #2338]
Goon: We gonna ente'de castle, real quiet like_

[caption #2340]
Goon: A'ight, let's go!

[caption #2341]
Gerad: Ya gotta problem?
<EOP>
<Celes>: You ARE <Edgar>_aren't you?

[caption #2342]
<Celes>: <Edgar>?
<EOP>
Gerad: Who's ya talkin'bout?

[caption #2343]
Gerad: *hush* <D>
We'll be departing for Figaro soon.
<EOP>
<Celes>: Don't play dumb with me!
Or have you somehow lost your memory?!

[caption #2344]
Gerad: Listen, lady! <D>
I been [Gerad] all my life!
Ain't nobody here, BUT Gerad!

[caption #2346]
<Celes>: _? <D>
Only <Edgar> could act THAT poorly_

[caption #2347]
Gerad: LOOK! <D>
AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THIS!

Later in South Figaro...
(Edgar stops talking like a thug once you're there.)

[caption #2358]
Goon: I know we gotta trus' dis guy, but MAN, he looks familia'_

[caption #2360]
Gerad: You're still here_?

[caption #2361]
Goon: We's bustin inta de castle! *chuckle*

[caption #2362]
Goon: We's swimmin' in Gil tanight, boys!

[caption #2373]
Gerad: Let's go help out_
Hang on a sec_
<EOP>
Gerad: Are you people STILL here?
<EOP>
<Celes>: What is wrong with you?
<Edgar> _?

[caption #2374]
Goon: Boss! You ready?! Let's go!
<EOP>
Gerad: You've a case of mistaken identity, my dear_just give it up!

[caption #2375]
Gerad: Now, where were we?

Inside Figaro Cave

[caption #2376]
Goon: Dere ya go, boy_ <D>
Dere's some NICE food for ya!

[caption #2377]
Goon: And_PRESTO!
Gerad: Way to go, friend!
<EOP>
Goon: I use'ta have a pet [tuytle]!

Inside Figaro Castle

[caption #2380]
Gerad: You all right? <D>
You were almost a goner!

[caption #2381]
Goon:
_it was awf'l_

[caption #2382]
Gerad: Here's the problem_
<EOP>
Gerad: What a tangled mess!
<EOP>
Goon: Boss! What a we gonna do?! De loot's stoy'd in de back dere!

[caption #2383]
Gerad: You guys!
<EOP>
Gerad: Get in there while I keep this thing busy!
<EOP>
Gerad: Get going!

[caption #2385]
<Edgar>: What are you waiting for, <Celes>?!
<EOP>
<A4>: Give me a hand!
<EOP>
<Celes>: <Edgar>!
It IS you!

[caption #2386]
<Celes>: Why the stupid farce?
<EOP>
<Edgar>: Well, I heard that the castle
had taken some damage_I wanted
to help out but didn't know where to start. <EOP>
<Edgar>: Then I heard that those idiots had escaped from our prison.
<EOP>
<Celes>: Ah_you needed to use them.
<EOP>
<Edgar>: Bingo! And, I obviously
couldn't let them find out I
was the King of Figaro, could I?
<EOP>
<Celes>: Well, you DID throw most of them in jail, to begin with!

[caption #2388]
<Edgar>: *hush* <D>
Quiet now_

[caption #2389]
Goons: Boss? <D>
_ _ _ Boss?

[caption #2390]
Goon: He must have gotten himself eaten by that_thing.
<EOP>
Goon: It wasn't even much of a monster_

[caption #2391]
Goon: What a sucker. <D>*chuckle* <D>
I can't believe he really thought
we talked that way.
<EOP>
Goon: Oh well, let's go_

[caption #2392]
<Celes>: Don't you want that treasure back?!
<EOP>
<Edgar>: It's completely worthless at this point.
<EOP>
<Edgar>: Besides, Kefka's the one we need to worry about. I mean_those guys haven't committed any serious crimes. <EOP>
<Celes>: Come on, let's go_ Smile Laugh
  Find