Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Is it even possible to restore the original menu columns to american FFVI?

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
In the japanese version of FFVI, the menus were categorized in 3 or 2 columns
[Image: FF6_Magic_Menu_JP.png]

When they localized the game, the rows were reduced mostly for spacing, making everything look really off in comparison.
[Image: FF6_Magic_Menu_NA.png]

Is there a way to restore the original rows, at least for the spells menu? I've been always interested in restore this thing
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I think you asked before that question on the Discord server and got your answer.. Yes it's possible and I think it was already done somewhere.. Now are you looking for someone to do it for you or are you willing to learn what is required to make that hack? If it's the latter you'll need to learn some ASM hacking. For the menu documentation bank $C3 is fully documented.
  Find

Status
None
Isn't there some sort of issue with populating battle spell (and maybe other skill) menus that's related to this? Could going back to 3 column menus and shortening skill names alleviate it?

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-12-2021, 10:08 PM)MysticLord Wrote: Isn't there some sort of issue with populating battle spell (and maybe other skill) menus that's related to this? Could going back to 3 column menus and shortening skill names alleviate it?

Nothing I can see at first glance, 3x 7 bytes seems to fit, each menu is its own thing and there's no code reuse with the battle menu I think..
  Find

Status
None
(04-13-2021, 04:38 AM)madsiur Wrote: Nothing I can see at first glance, 3x 7 bytes seems to fit, each menu is its own thing and there's no code reuse with the battle menu I think..

Is the battle skill menu code issue - the reason why it had to be changed from JP to elsewhere - due to spell names length then? Or am I totally insane?

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-13-2021, 04:42 AM)MysticLord Wrote: Is the battle skill menu code issue - the reason why it had to be changed from JP to elsewhere - due to spell names length then? Or am I totally insane?

I think so but maybe they really wanted those 4+ spaces between columns, in this case you can't fit 3 columns in the US version. Maybe they find at the time that 3 columns was too cramed (i.e. little space between each one).
  Find

Threads: 1
Status
None
(04-12-2021, 09:35 PM)madsiur Wrote: I think you asked before that question on the Discord server and got your answer.. Yes it's possible and I think it was already done somewhere.. Now are you looking for someone to do it for you or are you willing to learn what is required to make that hack? If it's the latter you'll need to learn some ASM hacking. For the menu documentation bank $C3 is fully documented.

Maybe both, if someone wouldn't have the task to do it, i'm going to try to do it by myself
  Find

Threads: 2
Status
Silence
I did something like that about a year ago.

[Image: NEAxMTMyNzk5MzU2QGFlMjA4M2M2OThhZjc3NjVk...E3NA==.jpg][Image: NEAxMTMyNzk5Mzk3QGY3NDY3ZTEzMjQ4MGQyZDJh...kyOQ==.jpg]

I never testet it, if there are any bugs.
Just apply it on an unheadered US 1.0 ROM.

.7z  JLM.7z (19.74 KB, 3 downloads)

Edit: Ah, sorry. I failed the topic. It's just the menu and not the colums that i've changed.
  Find