Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Formation Event Pointers

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Within FF3usME, in the Formations Editor, you can set special events, like "Shadow at Col." or "Cyan Fights Alone". Not all of these events are included in Madsiur's Battle Events Scripts dump, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a pointer table for these where I could work backward and find the code for one of the events. I've found the formation pointer, but it appears to point to an index, rather than an exact address. 

Specifically, I want to find the code for "Cyan Fights Alone", as this code allows guest characters to fight alongside of you, but not be controllable by the player. There are 2 copies of this event, and they appear to both do the same thing. If one of these could be repurposed, or if we could find the pointer table, I think it would provide a good option for hacks. For Divergent Paths, it would allow me to add the Razing of Vector screen with Celes playable, but Leo as an uncontrollable guest.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Not sure if you've seen this thread here, it might help a bit if not:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread...tle+events

I think what you're looking for would be the "Character Acting As Monster" code? It's linked in there as well:
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpB...nemy#p5393

Also I made this thread semi-recently that breaks down a bit which of those events are used and which not which may or may not help:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-4071.html

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • PowerPanda (03-10-2021)

Status
None
It took me a bit of reading to understand what I was seeing, but the post from Lenophis is totally it. The formation events start at D0/FD00, and they are $18 bytes each. The "Cyan Fights Alone" ones are:

D0/FD78 (Cyan 1) 00 FF FF FF 02 02 70 50 30 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
D0/FD90 (Cyan 2) 00 FF FF FF 02 02 70 50 30 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

The format for these flags is something I'm still working out. Lenophis's notes are not correct for several of the bytes, but I've only identified the use for the 5th and 6th byte so far
The 5th byte says "Which actor slot should I use?" This will bring over that character's HP/MP/Lvl and all of their equipment, including relics. This will cause the character to DISAPPEAR from the normal roster.
The 6th byte says "Which sprite should I use?" It is possible to mismatch this, so you could have a character use someone else's sprite. IE - they could fight the battle as a generic soldier, and then after the battle reveal that they were (insert character here) all along.
The 7th byte is correct. It says which boss script to use (add $FF to the monster number for bosses).

So, some examples of bytes 5/6/7
01 0F 6E - Locke shows up looking like a merchant, using Phunbaba's attack script
08 0A 00 - Relm shows up as a moogle, using the Whelk's attack script

So yeah, this blows open the doors for guest characters.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
here's my thread on that structure, a 3.5-years-late and usually redundant effort:
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpB...?f=3&t=993

Status
None
So this is a curious note, but it seems like in order to have an ally fight as a monster, their profile (properties) and their actor slot need to match. I tried creating a guest version of Leo with profile $24, and though the game detected that a guest character was present, and the enemy targeted them, they were invisible, took no damage, and did not act. The character worked fine when actually added to the party though. So I tested to make sure it wasn't just limiting to profiles $0F and below, and assigned Gogo's properties ($0C) to Leo (character $0D in my hack). This produced the same results. Weird, but it's resolved when I just give Leo his $0D properties.

Projects:
  Find