Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy Tactics Chocobo

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
hey guys, it's pretty much been forever since I posted anything so here I go lol

I decided to edit the vanilla FF6 chocobo to make it look more like it's FFT counterpart, this includes overworld, battle, and mode 7 (when you're actually riding the chocobo)

I used the sprite from FFRK as a reference and recreated the missing frames and mode 7 sprites from scratch

here is the download link 

https://ff6hacking.com/patches/FFT_Chocobo.zip

here are some images

[Image: RB5v2v4.png] [Image: IJ3Orwv.png]
[Image: 2WoWY2G.png] [Image: NRVy8Ca.png]
[Image: DTe6oIi.png] [Image: 55P9JVY.png]
[Image: kT4bcSp.png] [Image: zSqyuav.png]

there are IPS files for both headered and non headered roms 

please make sure you read the "read me" file before patching 

feel free to use but please give credit if you do 

and most importantly enjoy Smile

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to SSJ Rick for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (01-25-2021), Lightning (02-03-2021), madsiur (01-25-2021), ppml (01-26-2021)

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I will implement this in my hack for sure! I was never a fan of the default FF6 Chocobo. In fact, I always felt it was the ugliest out of all the FF games. This certainly brings new life to it!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lightning for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (02-04-2021)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I like this Chocobo a bunch as well, really came out nice overall. My only gripe I've seen while using it is that since it has a smaller tail, it exposes quite a bit more (depending on the character) that only the top-half of the characters are shown while riding, but only when facing up at least in terms of it on a map, so like if an NPC is riding one. The original managed to hide this much better by having a larger, albeit not as cool-looking bushy tail. It also exposes it while turning right or left on the overworld (Mode 7) as well, but it's not too bad. Overall I think most wouldn't notice or care much.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
glad you like it man thank you

and yeah it's not perfect that's for sure, but I think it's a nice change of pace, I've never seen a different chocobo before, I'm just glad something new is out there for the community

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Hey Rick, I just noticed in the readme file that the Chocobo brush animation was changed due to sharing a few pixels with the Chocobo. Are you talking about the two white pixels in one frame? I had to get a screen capture to even see the bug you were referring to! It really isn't noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Also, in the readme it states that "spell palette" 168 was tweaked, but I see no difference in the colors at all with that particular palette (I even compared the hex values and saw no difference). Can you tell me what exactly was modified here? I only ask, because I'm always a bit nervous implementing patches in my hack when I don't fully understand everything they do (in the event it conflicts with something else I already changed). Thanks!

Edit: Ah, you meant Spell palette 186, not 168! I only realized when I checked the palette of Chocobop. I see the change now.
  Find

Status
None
Rick, may I ask how you managed to edit the world map Chocobo sprite? I made a version of your Chocobo with a bigger tail, because I definitely noticed what Gi Nattak was talking about (characters look like "half people" cut off at the bottom). However, when I import my updated graphic into FF3USME on sprite #166, the world map Chocobo does not change. I am guessing you somehow managed to edit it through other means?
[Image: EEK49xu.png]
  Find

Status
None
hey sorry for the late reply,

yeah the mode 7/over world sprites were edited via yychr using their respective bin files

if you'd like I can adjust the bin files for you using your updated tail graphic, I'd have to probably re edit the other frames of the tail as well, but that in itself shouldn't be too hard

-HNIC

Status
None
(03-06-2021, 01:37 PM)SSJ Rick Wrote: hey sorry for the late reply,

yeah the mode 7/over world sprites were edited via yychr using their respective bin files

if you'd like I can adjust the bin files for you using your updated tail graphic, I'd have to probably re edit the other frames of the tail as well, but that in itself shouldn't be too hard

That would be awesome if you could do that for me.  Your Chocobo really adds a degree of "freshness" to the game, so I just had to fix up that one bug to keep it permanently in my hack!
  Find

Status
None
I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to get around to it but you should reach out to me on discord, that'll be easier for both of us

-HNIC

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Just to follow up on the initial question a bit more, the chocobo graphics in question are compressed graphics, and thus needs to firstly be decompressed with good ol' PeerSpriteViewer (PSV), which allows you to decompress & export compressed graphics as a .bin file once you input the correct offset info (using the ff6 ROM map), in order to then edit it with YY-CHR. Then you can recompress the graphic back in, with PSV, making sure that it is the same size or smaller (it shows the size), or else bad things happen!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.