Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The difficulty spike: how would you address this situation?

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I've been meaning to take a look at these battle fields to see if a little quick optimization could be done for space reasons (still plan on rewriting the whole thing later but its a good excuse to look at it before starting from scratch again).

Don't know if your still working on this area or not, but maybe I can find something that would help you out, here or later. Will let you know if I find anything.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Catone for this post:
  • C-Dude (10-12-2019)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
At the moment I'm trying to get through a run of my latest build, to see if my battle and monster script changes are viable. Once that's done I'm considering sinking my teeth into event and (minor) map editing, preferably without expanding the ROM to do so. To that end, optimizations are always welcome; every byte counts, even if it's just to set up a new NPC.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
For event space, you can always use a B2 command and call event code anywhere past bank $CA. There's a bunch of free space in the ROM, in significant amount to do heavy event work without even expanding it.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Well, between working 14hr days at the moment (so much for getting back into it at the moment) I did manage to look over the battlefield codes, and while there is definite possibility for refinement of the whole thing and reusable code, would take alot of replanting and editing of several levels.

That being said, on the idea of making more battlefield type events, it would allow alot more if there were more that just the two. (As in reuse the setup and "file in" codes, as well as some of the marching forward code if the maps were descreatly edited allowing for a few of the same paths to match up.)

Still, as far as a stand alone optimization patch would go, only for space, not practical. Less I missed something of course.

Still, best of luck on your endeavors.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Catone for this post:
  • C-Dude (10-19-2019)

Status
None
I apologize in advance for the necrobump, but if you're still having issues with this fight why not reduce the parties from 3 to 2? I just played through that in Brave New World and that's what they did.

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(12-05-2020, 04:44 PM)MysticLord Wrote: I apologize in advance for the necrobump, but if you're still having issues with this fight why not reduce the parties from 3 to 2?
I actually went with a combination of all the solutions I pitched in the first post (though Edgar's buff was negligible and mostly a result of changes to how actions are queued).

Mog really only becomes necessary if the player is going for a turtle strategy (which is what I usually do... park three parties in three choke-points and let the enemies break against me), so his addition didn't really impact the fight for the speed strat (though players may toss him in their big party to learn FrostyHop).
  Find