Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Event Editing, Help A Noob Plz~

Status
None
Small detail but very important: make sure your hex editor is in Overwrite mode instead of Insert mode. The former edits only the highlighted byte, and as the highlighted selection moves that too is edited. The latter does not edit the highlighted byte but inserts a new value in it's place and move the entire rest of the file 1 byte back, making it 1 byte longer.

There should be a menu option, something to click, or a keyboard shortcut to change from Overwrite to Insert mode and back.

Source: someone who has screwed up a lot of roms via insertion.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MysticLord for this post:
  • Alby4t5 (08-20-2020)

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Oh, no worries there. I remember enough from my small time using this years ago to stay in override. If I may ask another question now, however...

If I'm reading the coding and such in the event dump, this should be what I need to put into the game to have Terra, Wedge, and Biggs not use the Magitek Armor once they arrive in lower Narshe from the cliff intro. The question I have is, how exactly do I go about getting this bit to connect to both the cliff intro and then to the scene where they walk into Narshe?
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Are you trying to insert a scene before they enter Narshe where they get out of their armor, or do you just not want them to be in their armor when they enter Narshe?

If you just don't want them to be in armor when they enter town, you can edit or NOP these commands from the entry event:
Code:
CC/9A8A: 44    Place character $00 (Actor in stot 0) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/9A8D: 44    Place character $0E (Actor in stot 14) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)
CC/9A90: 44    Place character $0F (Actor in stot 15) on vehicle $40 (Magitek Armor) (Character is shown)

Just change the hex from
44 00 C0 44 0E C0 44 0F C0
to
44 00 00 44 0E 00 44 0F 00
to remove them from the armors, or simply replace all 9 bytes with FD to turn it into a NOP.

Also, pasting images into the forum doesn't work.  Even though it shows up in the text editor, it just shows up as garbage data when submitted.  Tongue Source: have made this mistake multiple times myself.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fast Moon for this post:
  • Alby4t5 (08-20-2020)

Status
None
Yeah, that's part of it. But I also need to take them out of the Magitek Status in battles as well.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
CA/5E72: 89 Inflict the following status ailments on character $00 (Actor in stot 0): M-Tek
CA/5E76: 89 Inflict the following status ailments on character $0E (Actor in stot 14): M-Tek
CA/5E7A: 89 Inflict the following status ailments on character $0F (Actor in stot 15): M-Tek

FD out this.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Alby4t5 (08-20-2020)

Status
None
Thanks to you both, I've been making leaps and bounds with the intro bit. Now, the last major issue I have is right here. During this one bit, Terra is able to walk through this with no problem. I assume this is how she and the others are tagged to be able to walk through objects. I can find Biggs and Wedge's permissions to do so during this, but Terra's seems to be... absent entirely.
[Image: Os8FOeK.png]
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Actually, that would instead normally be a thing called 'nibble' (yet another event command) that deals with the popping up behind or in front of map tiles, that would need adjusting, the move through objects is for NPCs/sprites/objects moving through other NPCs/sprites/objects, not the map. BUT, in this case, it's not an event thingy that needs changing, it's the map properties. While this Narshe map looks identical (minus the NPCs) to the regular Narshe town map (014), it is in fact a different map (map 013) that is made entirely to accommodate being in those Magitek Armors. If you look at the two maps in the level editor, under the 'MAPS' tab, you'll see while almost identical, the 'Physical Map' has a different value. You'd wanna change it from 12 to 08, like the normal Narshe map. That should do it.
Now if memory serves, that exact byte exists at offset 2D9177... if you didn't wanna get involved quite yet with the level editor Wink

• Alby4t5 (08-20-2020)

Status
None
Yep, that took care of it. I'll still need to get into the level editor though. It's kinda weird she can wander around the town and open doors now. XD
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Haha, yeah... hmm...forgot about that.
What you could do, which would involve using the level editor, would be add some invisible NPC the game uses sometimes to block the player from leaving an event, or opening a door. Well that's how they do it in WoR Narshe basically, until you get Locke. That's definitely what I'd do here. You can see how they are set up (minus the event they use, you would put 5EB3 instead which is do nothing) on map: 020, WoR Narshe. If your ROM is expanded to 4MB, you can use the Rogue Level Editor here: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...ff6lerogue without worry. It will just use the start of your F1 bank to store some data, so make sure you don't have anything there.

• Alby4t5 (08-21-2020)

Status
None
So, it should be like this right? I more or less copied the invisible NPC data that blocks the door and entered the event ID you specified. The problem is she's still walking through the door without any problem. Is there something else I'm missing?
[Image: AC8018T.png]
  Find