Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Error in Imp affecting call monster sprite

Threads: 29
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 29
Status
None
After applying several Leet Sketcher's patches, testing and not crashing the game. I thought it went well until I discover that if I cast Imp on Live Sr Behemoth and kill it, the death version sprite that came out is corrupted.
  Find

Threads: 270
Thanks Received: 754
Thanks Given: 379
Status
Tissue-aware
Well the easiest fix is removing the patche(s) that cause this problem. Testing if the game doesn't crash is a good start but it doesn't mean there won't be more problem. You may also have a patch conflict that use the same free space and this is the result. I would inform leetsketcher when you find the culprit..
  Find

Threads: 29
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 29
Status
None
(06-19-2020, 10:22 AM)madsiur Wrote: Well the easiest fix is removing the patche(s) that cause this problem. Testing if the game doesn't crash is a good start but it doesn't mean there won't be more problem. You may also have a patch conflict that use the same free space and this is the result. I would inform leetsketcher when you find the culprit..

Found the problem in using V1.0 us rom. If I apply Leet's Imp Skimp & Unaffected Rows from http://assassin17.brinkster.net/, then undead sprite is corrupted. 

So I just need to unpatch one of them.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to doofenH for this post:
  • assassin (06-20-2020)

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 52
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
no interactions between the patches jump out at me, and i can't say the following necessarily relates to the problem, but this:

Code:
LDA #$01
JML C2_2E75_helper

can't be doing what i intended, given the target function promptly clobbers A to preserve $B1 (a late-stage addition). :/

if $B1 holds 20h, i'll be calling some bogus pointer instead of a ($2E93, X) table entry. if it holds 00h, the toggle i'm attempting will fail.

try changing C2_2E75_helper's
LDA $B1/pha/.../pla/sta $b1 to:
ldx $b1/phx/.../plx/stx $b1 .

if we're worried about altering X's value from vanilla, we can probably edit only the first 2 instructions.

another alternative is to leave all 4 instructions untouched, change "JSR $2E75" to "JSR $2E77" (or "JSR $2E74"), and the caller's "LDA #$01" to "LDX #$02" (or "LDX #$01").