Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Harp Weapon Tutorial

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
In the spell editor in the special effects scroll menu, look for the effect "Randomize one of the selected status" with example "EVIL TOOT". It's a little ways above the question mark labelled (0x41). If you click that to select it and then save, the spell will randomly select one of the statuses you've picked.

Another one you can use is example "MIND BLAST", which randomly applies up to 4 of the statuses selected to all targets. The more targets, the less effective Mind Blast is, however.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Mutteo (06-20-2020)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
hey I'm a bit late to this, but what you want done is somewhat possible

for the musical note itself, yeah there can be issues where the char takes an extra step back

but in terms of an actual harp weapon I might be able to help you out, but you should know that there is always a give and take when it comes to weapon graphics

you'll have to sacrifice something

I can see it working if you replace the metal knuckle/poison claw with a new custom harp, the char will take a step forward and the harp will appear (without editing it the actual sprite will vibrate slightly, which might be something you'd like or dislike)

you would need to edit the weapon graphic in yychr though

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Afterglow
(06-20-2020, 06:58 PM)C-Dude Wrote: In the spell editor in the special effects scroll menu, look for the effect "Randomize one of the selected status" with example "EVIL TOOT".  It's a little ways above the question mark labelled (0x41).  If you click that to select it and then save, the spell will randomly select one of the statuses you've picked.

Another one you can use is example "MIND BLAST", which randomly applies up to 4 of the statuses selected to all targets.  The more targets, the less effective Mind Blast is, however.

Ohh, that's great!  That would really allow the ability to be unpredicatable.  Thank you so much!

(06-20-2020, 07:19 PM)SSJ Rick Wrote: hey I'm a bit late to this, but what you want done is somewhat possible

for the musical note itself, yeah there can be issues where the char takes an extra step back

but in terms of an actual harp weapon I might be able to help you out, but you should know that there is always a give and take when it comes to weapon graphics

you'll have to sacrifice something

I can see it working if you replace the metal knuckle/poison claw with a new custom harp, the char will take a step forward and the harp will appear (without editing it the actual sprite will vibrate slightly, which might be something you'd like or dislike)

you would need to edit the weapon graphic in yychr though

Yeh I was experimenting with yychr and I did edit a harp in it....for Hawkeye :X.  The result was less than satisfactory.  Actually the metal claw would be a great substitution, if the sprite can fit in that tiny area that is.  I am still concerned about the music note attack part, but as C-Dude told me, that attack animation is in a completely different section, and I would have to figure out some kind of hex editing to get it to work, (which I have no idea how) assuming the character takes a step forward when doing this.

Hmmm....I wonder if it's possible to do the harp as the claw, and have the music note act like a hawkeye or boomerang or card when thrown?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Find

Status
None
yeah some weapons have a different number of tiles,

the way the attack animation works with the metal knuckle pretty much appears in front of the char when they take their step forward, so a harp would work, there are a total of 4 8X8 tile blocks that contain the metal knuckle graphic, once you edit those 4 tiles, the harp should look fine

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Afterglow
(06-20-2020, 11:41 PM)SSJ Rick Wrote: yeah some weapons have a different number of tiles,

the way the attack animation works with the metal knuckle pretty much appears in front of the char when they take their step forward, so a harp would work, there are a total of 4 8X8 tile blocks that contain the metal knuckle graphic, once you edit those 4 tiles, the harp should look fine

[Image: where-are-the-other-two.png]

I'm only seeing two here.  I can't find the other two.  I could only fit half of the harp.

[Image: image-2020-06-22-T01-11-49-797-Z.png]
  Find

Status
None
ah in hindsight I think I may have overestimated the potential of the metal knuckle and also overlooked something

the problem is there may not be 2 other pixels for that weapon (they could exist but I wouldn't know where they would be if they did)

hmmm

looking at it now, maybe edit a different claw (tiger fang maybe) and give it the same attack animation/value as the metal knuckle and that might work, if not then I'm not sure

-HNIC

Status
Afterglow
(06-27-2020, 03:16 PM)SSJ Rick Wrote: Maybe edit a different claw (tiger fang maybe) and give it the same attack animation/value as the metal knuckle and that might work, if not then I'm not sure

I tried that but it just used the overhead swing claw attack. I tried looking in the hex coding under Weapon Animation Data but what I could find (through guesswork and observation) is just the same interface as FF3USME

I was hoping of finding a way to maybe change the graphics that load the weapons through the hex editor (Like swapping the Tiger Fang Data for it) but unlike the Weapon graphics data code, I have no idea where to look.  I thought maybe Battle Animation Frame Data, but I can't make heads or tails of where the weapons would be, let alone what byte controls what graphics it loads.
  Find

Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I might be able to help. The metal knuckle graphics indeed only consists of two 8x8 tiles, but there are two blank tiles below them that you can use by modifying the two 16-bit values at $D20B74-$D20B77. Also note that the top two tiles (where the claw normally is) are specified by two 16-bit values at $D20B54-$D20B57. The format for these is

Code:
vhtttttt tttttttt
t: [$D30000 + t * $18] address of 3bpp tile graphics
h: flip tile horizontally
v: flip tile vertically

Hopefully that is clear. You should be able to make a 16x16 sprite from these four 8x8 tiles. You just need to find a place to insert the bottom two 8x8 tiles of your harp graphics.

I think you may also need to modify the animation script to make the harp look nice. I believe the metal knuckle uses the same script as an unarmed attack, which is at $D07EF9-$D07F17. You can look at the animation script dump on the wiki to see how the script actually works. If you modify this, it will also change how an unarmed attack looks, so it might be better if you can create a new script. There's a little bit of free space at $D0CF4A.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (06-28-2020)

Status
Afterglow
(06-27-2020, 10:33 PM)Everything Wrote: I might be able to help. The metal knuckle graphics indeed only consists of two 8x8 tiles, but there are two blank tiles below them that you can use by modifying the two 16-bit values at $D20B74-$D20B77. Also note that the top two tiles (where the claw normally is) are specified by two 16-bit values at $D20B54-$D20B57. The format for these is

Code:
vhtttttt tttttttt
t: [$D30000 + t * $18] address of 3bpp tile graphics
h: flip tile horizontally
v: flip tile vertically

Ahh...this is kinda embarrassing.  I really do appreciate your help on this, but I have no idea what that formula means nor how to figure out the precise bit value to put in.  My guess is that it's supposed to tell the coding where that part of the graphics is supposed to be loaded, i just can't figure out how.  You have to excuse me, I'm not that well versed in coding.

However with the offsets you gave me, I spent 2 hours guessing random codes and eventually found the graphic for the cards, so i edited that as the harp and viola!  However it is awkwardly placed.  You said there was a wiki dump on the animation?  Where is that exactly?  I'd like to be able to move the harp up and to the right a bit, if possible.
[Image: whole-harp.png]
  Find

Status
None
oh wow, that's a pretty interesting outcome

well I can tell you that a lot of weapons tend to reuse and recycle frames/tiles

and strangely enough, a few weapons even share a few pixels as well , like an outline of one of shadow's weapons shares an outline with a misc sword (I don't remember off the top of my head)

-HNIC