Patch: Docile NPCs

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
author: SilentEnigma
Download

This is a simple quality-of-life mod that makes wandering NPCs more readily yield ground to the player character.

Whenever the player character and an NPC are simultaneously attempting to move into the same empty field map tile, the player character is now given priority, and the NPC's move is canceled.

This should make navigating though crowded spaces a bit less of a struggle.

Cheers!

.zip  DocileNPCs_v1.0.zip (2.12 KB, 23 downloads)
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • C-Dude (04-18-2020), Gi Nattak (04-18-2020), madsiur (04-19-2020), PowerPanda (04-19-2020), SSJ Rick (07-09-2021)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
So it uses controller input to record player intent? That's cool, I wouldn't have thought of something like that (if I were trying to make something like this, I'd probably have tried to make a 1-tile buffer around the player where NPCs would never walk, which probably wouldn't have worked).

I have a question about your copyright disclaimer. Do you want all directories that use your patch to include your readme, or was the statement just for mirrors?
By which I mean, if I made a hack called "Super Duper Sabin mode" using [among other things] this ips, and I listed you in the credits for the Docile NPC patch, would you want my release zip to also include "Docile NPC Readme.txt", or would the credit be enough?
If the answer is the latter, do you object to your readme being appended to a larger readme file?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(04-18-2020, 11:54 PM)C-Dude Wrote: (if I were trying to make something like this, I'd probably have tried to make a 1-tile buffer around the player where NPCs would never walk, which probably wouldn't have worked).

Would make one hell of a flame repellent for those pesky flame NPCs in the burning house!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • C-Dude (04-19-2020)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I don't think I've ever applied a patch so fast! Thank you!

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
(04-18-2020, 11:54 PM)C-Dude Wrote: (if I were trying to make something like this, I'd probably have tried to make a 1-tile buffer around the player where NPCs would never walk, which probably wouldn't have worked)
SocialDistancing.ips  Objection!

(04-18-2020, 11:54 PM)C-Dude Wrote: Do you want all directories that use your patch to include your readme, or was the statement just for mirrors?

Condition #1 in the permissions notice is only intended for pure redistribution, i.e. mirrors.

Condition #2 has two implications:
  • Credit the author of this patch in your own hack's readme -- nothing fancy required.
  • Stipulate in your own hack's permissions notice that the same credit accompany any derivative works which retain the patch -- probably a good thing to include anyway; can be worded generally to cover all secondary contributors of your hack. (See ex. FF6:ROSE's permissions notice, which is explicitly recursive.)
All of my smaller patches have permissions similar to this one, and hopefully this fits well with what the FF6 hacking community is already accustomed to doing.
The copyright notice and attempted legalese can seem a bit over the top, especially since I have yet to see anyone in this community acting in bad faith when it comes to giving credit.
But it is aimed at ensuring credits don't get "lost in transit" (especially when we have hacks based on hacks based on multiple patches) -- without resorting to something more burdensome like GPL.

Thanks for making a point of staying above board!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • C-Dude (04-19-2020)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
Yeah, I thought it sounded a bit like the Creative Commons BY-SA-NC license (Attribution, Share-Alike, Non-Commercial), which is why I wanted to make sure and ask.  I haven't decided if I'm going to use DocileNPCs on my current project yet (I haven't encountered any Kaipo Grandma moments, not that they don't exist), but I imagine if someone were to include this in an improvement patch (such as C.V Reynolds with the bugfixes) they'd want that clarification on how to distribute your work properly.
  Find