Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final fantasy II (Nes): Alternate Realm

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Slow
Actually Madsiur, in final fantasy 2, the damage cap can be broken, it just doesn't display such in the 16 bit ports. However, in the nes version, if you did 10324 damage, it would display as 0324 as the 5th digit isn't rendered. You'll come across the sight of that damage cap breaking pain via split 16 used by end game bosses. Plus the cure spell was buffed on the account its the way the end game battles are more doable so single heals heal around 4kish.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-28-2017, 07:34 PM)ScarabEnigma Wrote: However, in the nes version, if you did 10324 damage, it would display as 0324 as the 5th digit isn't rendered.

So technically in FFII NES both damage cap and enemy HP cap are 16 bits?
  Find

Status
Slow
pretty much, but once it overflows, its back to 0, which is bad in pretty much any situation. If I knew how to cap damage and character hp at 9999, i'd do it, but i'm too much a novice..
  Find

Status
Slow
Okay, finally got the update worked on. Here are some changes.

-Buffed Zircon spear to have 5% evade due to using killer bow byte forcing two handed wield
-Buffed CosmicD sword to be effective vs all enemy types rather than just earth and air
-Buffed the Diamond dagger to 119 attack as 99 attack made it weak end game
-Buffed Crystal staff to 121 attack for the same reason as diamond dagger
-Changed animation of the Melt spell so that the caster doesn't get flagged ko'd while also causing comedic glitch Tongue
-the intelligence and spirit penalties reduced on end game weapons except the bows
-corrected the defense of Final Armor to 95 as it was intended to have
-added changes to some enemy drop tables
-gave behemoth (regular) and red soul ensured 10000 gil drop
-tweaked the evade stats of adamantai and flower as they somehow have perfect evade when they should not...
-readded palette changes that were somehow forgotten
-updated Wrath's palette to have a darker red coloring
[Image: UOex8oT.png]

-Increased the enemy ranks! It will now be easier to level skills overall, with one time encounters and very rare encounters having a large rank value (Image aka imperial shadow has a rank of 50 for instance), much thanks goes to this post on slick productions! : http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....pic=2068.0

-corrected some annoying grammar errors with dialogue..

I'm considering looking into doing more enemy graphics changes, and looking into figuring out the ways of editing maps as a whole. I can edit the world map thanks to Jade, but I've yet to consider doing in depth changes as I'm not entirely sure about what will happen. Any help is appreciated, even if its minor. Smile
  Find

Status
Slow
Far too long it has been since last I made a update. But version 1.3 is finally here! Some changes include...

-A good pile of dialogue edits and typo corrections
-Replaced Jacob (Scott's former replacement) with Helen
-Replaced Hector (Borghen's former replacement) with new replacement Sigurd. Reduced hp from 5000 to 3000 (normal), reduced overall stats (normal), slightly adjusted AI (normal), slightly adjusted AI (Zombie)
-Greatly reduced difficulty of Gotus, reduced attack strength, defense, and speed
-Slightly reduced difficulty of Image (Imperial Shadow)
-The enemy versions of Fire, Ice, Bolt, and Bio no longer ignore defense and elemental resistance
-Split spell no longer exceeds 9999 damage when single target (single target level reduced from 16 to 9)
-Coeurl's in pandemonium no longer use AoE blaster 16, instead using blaster 10 single target
-New icons for equipment made with unused text spaces, including a unique icon for each of the final armor pieces except the shield
-Elyna (formerly read as Elia in game) now has her name's correct spelling display in dialogue.
-Lauren now displays on field in same dark blue colors as she and others do in battle (finally!)
-New field sprites for Elyna, Dread Knight Xavier and Sigurd
-Minor changes to Lauren's battle sprite
-Elyna's battle sprite has been improved significantly
-Fire Tree's no longer drop ribbons

Well, that's all I can remember changing, hope they make gameplay a little more reasonable and interesting!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ScarabEnigma for this post:
  • madsiur (04-07-2019)

Threads: 0
Status
None
Nice, an FF2 hack. I'm surprised more people haven't tried hacking this game, even just to fix it, because the original version had so many broken mechanics. I really enjoyed the Dawn of Souls version, but it was a little too easy for what I prefer (well, apart from Soul of Rebirth, where the first dungeon is like the RPG equivalent of a Kaizo-style hack.) Where can I download it?
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
Faith
I like the character designs. Smile

How did you switch the palettes for the battlers?
  Find

Status
Slow
I am so sorry for the stupid late reply. I haven't checked here in ages, wasn't really expecting responses. but let me answer them now...

Redmagicat, there is supposed to be a dropbox link to the ips file on the first post. but I suppose it is not working. that and I'm gradually working on another update for further graphical adjustments

Blunderpuggs, The Editor program known as Jade lets you edit the palettes in battle via the weapons editor. The palette list there has the in battle character sprite palettes in the bottom right corner. set the character palette temporarily while editing any weapon and change the colors that way.
  Find
  • Blunderpuggs (10-19-2019)

Threads: 3
Status
Faith
Another question regarding palettes. The last two (bottom right) palettes are the ones used for the battle sprites. Firion and Maria use the very last one while Guy uses the second last. Imagine I want to assign Firion the same pallete as Guy's (without messing with Maria's). Do you happen to know how to do that?
  Find

Status
Slow
Blunderpuggs: A major thanks to Lenophis for helping me out with answering your question. To change character in battle palettes. you need to open a hex editor and find the address 0x2D26A. it should lead to a single hex value of 2B. changing that value will determine how the palette of the first 8 characters are arranged, a example is changing to 2A will change firion's palette to the blue palette. However, the next byte after 2b, which is just 00, 7 out of 8 bytes there are unused, but the last one is where leon's palette is stored. change the 00 to 01 if you want leon to use the red palette.
  Find
  • Blunderpuggs (10-29-2019)