Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Can someone highlight to me the significant differences compared to TWUE-Edition? 
I see the translation is different but are there any underlying core-differences in terms of gameplay/bugfixes? 
What would you recommend for one's first playthrough?
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
Hi @Mr_Hickey,

Both ROSE and TWUE target first-time players.
The core gameplay is very similar between the two.

Currently TWUE has ~52 bug fixes, and ROSE has ~180. That might sound like a big deal, but really, most of these bugs are on the obscure side. I would not expect a first-time player to notice much difference here (let alone most veterans).

There are a couple of other minor differences between ROSE & TWUE that affect difficulty:
  • TWUE (w/ Bug-Fixes) has a few spell learning rate & stat bonus tweaks.
  • TWUE (w/ Add-Ons) reduces the rather annoying charging time for the special ability of one of the characters.
  • ROSE penalizes the player for dashing during timed challenges by speeding up the countdown timer in proportion to the speed boost. (Vanilla FF6 does not have a dash button.)
...Nothing make-or-break here, either, in my opinion.

Text / QoL / aesthetics would probably be the most important factors for a first-time player. The ReadMe files are always helpful if you want to compare the hacks feature-for-feature. Otherwise, it can't hurt to play the first ~20 minutes of more than one project and see if you develop a preference.

FYI, I know of two other projects of a similar scope that continue to receive updates:

C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix and/or Script-Fix Compilation

Final Fantasy VI: Retranslated

Hope that helps (at least with gathering some information)!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Mr_Hickey (04-08-2022)

Status
None
Hi, I'm playing through 1.10 and at the Fanatics Tower, the Air Anchor door doesn't appear. You can hear the click and rumble but no door. Luckily swapping in the original ROM and loading the save let me grab it but I thought you might like to know.

Tested with the NH patch on the 1.0 ROM.
  Find

Status
Enlight
Hi @chronor, thanks for reporting. I just took a look and was able to narrow down the problem. This is unrelated to the previous Air Anchor bug that was found & fixed earlier.
I will make sure it is fixed in the next release (which is coming soon!).

Status
Enlight
The hack has been updated to version 1.11.

What's new:
  • Fixed the bug preventing player from obtaining Air Anchor
  • Updated C. V. Bug-Fix Compilation to version 2.3
  • Finally: fully pre-rendered enemy names on the battle screen
  • Added Mastered Esper Icon Hack by @Madsiur
  • Added Final Fantasy VI Woolsey Removed by VoidKnave76 (I was totally going to get around to doing this, honest!)
  • Updated a few enemy names
  • Fixed a few minor script issues
  • Improved some ability descriptions
  • Removed Rage add-ons; all 256 rages learnable by default. -- I've come around to CV's approach to the Rage problem.
  • Lores now sorted alphabetically
I am also happy to report that ROSE appears to be compatible with the Dancing Mad FF6 MSU-1 Music Replacer version 20220422. No patch conflicts, and testing so far has been problem-free. (I am running the BSNES variant.) Apply the Dancing Mad hack on a fresh 1.0 ROM first, and then apply ROSE.

Enjoy!

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I'm continually impressed by the level of polish your mod has. It's the one I always recommend to newcomers looking to play a lightly modded vanilla FFVI!
  Find

Status
None
Do I have to reinstall the new patch and start my game over?
  Find

Status
Enlight
@seibaby thanks for the kind words once more! I'm honored that this has been your go-to rec. Almost-commercial's the name, stubborn brute force is the game.

@Locomobius I recommend patching on a fresh 1.0 ROM. Then, if you replace your old patched ROM file with the new patched ROM file, keeping the file name the same, you will be able to continue right where you left off.

On that note, folks, let me know if I broke anything else while fixing Air Anchor again XD

Status
None
Hi, I'm trying to play this rom on the snes 9x emulator on my Wii and for whatever reason, when I enter the first battle the screen goes blank. It doesn't crash the emulator but I can't play any further.

I did make sure to download the latest version of the rom hack and the clean rom beforehand. I downloaded the rom off of Vimm's lair if that helps.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I've not looked at this hack (or any Wii emulators) but from the sounds of it either you used the wrong patch (headered ROM vs non-headered ROM) make sure you have a V1.0 ROM and not a V1.1

If all of that is correct, my last guess would be that the Wii emulator is just not compatable with things done in this patch. Certain "little" changes break all compatibility with some accurate emulators or just some emulators in general. If possible, attempt to run it from a PC using the most recent version of snes9x. If that works, then the Wii emulator just won't do it. If not, double check exactly what ROM your using.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Catone for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (08-27-2022)