Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
(06-19-2020, 09:03 PM)Matt Wrote: Looking for any text bugs/missed grammar that need some fixing. I'll update this post as I go.

Thank you, Matt. This is very helpful.

I was going to do a snap update because of the two menu text issues, but then I saw your post growing...

I'm decently concerned about the rate of errors you are catching, so I will probably take a little more time and go over things some more as well.

Quote:Cyan
"Rrraagh!
 Which of you spilt the poison!?"
[from DarkMage's FF6 Improvement project, "Who" -> "Which of you"]

Are you referring to the use of "you" instead of "ye"? Believe it or not, I actually went back and forth on this. Not sure why I landed on "you", but I would agree it's the wrong call.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Matt (06-23-2020)

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
I feel like "Who among you released this poison!?" fits Cyan's character the best.

If you ever feel useless, just remember that Umaro has an MP stat.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(06-22-2020, 09:32 AM)SilentEnigma Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 09:03 PM)Matt Wrote: Looking for any text bugs/missed grammar that need some fixing. I'll update this post as I go.

Thank you, Matt. This is very helpful.

I was going to do a snap update because of the two menu text issues, but then I saw your post growing...

I'm decently concerned about the rate of errors you are catching, so I will probably take a little more time and go over things some more as well.

Quote:Cyan
"Rrraagh!
 Which of you spilt the poison!?"
[from DarkMage's FF6 Improvement project, "Who" -> "Which of you"]

Are you referring to the use of "you" instead of "ye"? Believe it or not, I actually went back and forth on this. Not sure why I landed on "you", but I would agree it's the wrong call.

Actually, I meant to point out that it should probably be "spilt the poison" and not "split the poison". Scorcher's suggestion would also work nicely.

Also, found some more
*At the banquet after you ask the first question, when Gestahl asks if you have another question to ask, the second option is just an empty space with a period.
*Strago when the Floating Continent appears: "If the three were ever moved out of6+ their perfect alignment, the resulting imbalance would..."
*As Celes prepares to jump off the cliff at the start of the WOR, there's a weird paragraph spacing in the textbox.
*"Gerad" before fighting the tentacles: "What are standing around for, Celes!? Give me a hand!"
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Matt for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (06-28-2020)

Threads: 0
Status
None
I don't really know if you are still updating this patch but there is a typo right at the beginning of the game when you first meet locke with the Old Man. The Old Man says "The city guard is pursuing Miss Terra through the mines as we we speak." I have never played FF6 before and I figured giving your compilation of hacks a go since it seemed the most at the core of the experience. Hoping to help if I can, with anything else that I catch!

Edit 1: To add to one of Matt's earlier posts, when Terra learns Poisona, the battle text does read Poison as well
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Frucella for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (06-28-2020)

Status
Enlight
Okay, time for an update!

Per everyone's feedback and some additional review, the hack has been updated to version 1.02. (See the OP.)
  • Fixed menu text corruption in 2x Spritzer encounter during opening sequence.
  • Fixed Poisona spell label in battle (large font).
  • Updated color-coded MP digits to fix occasional glitch on Auto-Shell/Auto-Protect activation.
  • Fixed typos in 13 field dialog captions.
  • Made minor revisions to 41 field dialog captions.
  • Fixed typos in 2 battle dialog captions.
  • Made minor revisions to 3 battle dialog captions.
Hopefully this covers most of the remaining dialog typos, though I think it's clear that I've become more than a little blind to them with this project.
Keep 'em coming if you find any.

(06-23-2020, 03:23 AM)Scorcher Wrote: I feel like "Who among you released this poison!?" fits Cyan's character the best.
Hi Scorcher, thanks for the idea.
My concern with this is that the syllable count is starting to drive up a bit, and I think Cyan's unusual state of mind in this particular scene is going to favor as little elegance as possible. (It's always tough to hit that sweet spot between "fleshed-out" and "punchy.")

(06-22-2020, 09:32 AM)SilentEnigma Wrote: Not sure why I landed on "you", but I would agree it's the wrong call.
Now I know why. "Which of ____...?" takes the oblique case (e. g. "Which of them...?"), and the archaic second person plural oblique pronoun, apparently, is "you" exclusively.
So, "you" will stay for now.

(06-23-2020, 05:59 PM)Matt Wrote: Actually, I meant to point out that it should probably be "spilt the poison" and not "split the poison".
I see. Strange, I must have fixed that a while ago and forgot about it, because none of my project materials have that typo. Confused

(06-28-2020, 01:30 PM)Frucella Wrote: I don't really know if you are still updating this patch but there is a typo right at the beginning of the game when you first meet locke with the Old Man. The Old Man says "The city guard is pursuing Miss Terra through the mines as we we speak." I have never played FF6 before and I figured giving your compilation of hacks a go since it seemed the most at the core of the experience. Hoping to help if I can, with anything else that I catch!
Thanks Frucella, and good timing -- your correction is in v1.02. Hello I appreciate your interest in this hack and the feedback!

Status
None
I don't know if you got this one in the 1.02 update.
*Impresario when in the WoR: "There's a dragon is sitting right smack in the middle of my stage."
  Find

Status
Enlight
(07-01-2020, 09:31 PM)Matt Wrote: I don't know if you got this one in the 1.02 update.
*Impresario when in the WoR: "There's a dragon is sitting right smack in the middle of my stage."

Yep, managed to spot that one for v1.02. Victory

Status
None
(07-02-2020, 09:44 PM)SilentEnigma Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 09:31 PM)Matt Wrote: I don't know if you got this one in the 1.02 update.

Yep, managed to spot that one for v1.02. Victory

Okay.

I'm still on 1.01 because I'm playing on an SNES Classic and updating means deleting and replacing the ROM on Hakchi. I don't want to end up losing my save file when I'm so close to the end, so if I catch anything else you've already fixed, don't pay it any mind.

Anyway, very close to Kefka, but caught one more.
*A bit of an uneven text break and a weird use of ~ when the Gold Dragon is charging for Thundaga.
  Find

Status
Enlight
(07-05-2020, 01:12 PM)Matt Wrote: Anyway, very close to Kefka, but caught one more.
*A bit of an uneven text break and a weird use of ~ when the Gold Dragon is charging for Thundaga.

Thanks, this is in v1.02.

The tilda is what I used to mark unused captions for my own benefit, but it looks like I have been relying on slightly inaccurate information >_<

Threads: 0
Status
None
I caught another one too. I'm on 1.02 and I just finished the battle with Kefka in Narshe when Terra leaves the party.
The guy outside the armor shop wearing a red vest in Narshe says "Narshe is a neutral city. We've taken no part in the war. But that cussed Empire still won't leave us alone!"
Very small and insignificant but I guess it is meant to be cursed and not cussed
  Find