Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Map graphics error and wrong location name

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hi guys,

I guess I'm gonna need your advice once again. Sorry for the long post, but I always try to explain my problems and what I did as detailed as possible, as this will perhaps help you in locating the source of the problem. I've been quite busy the last few days redoing most of my project from scratch, because... I looked at the offsets of the graphics expansion patch that came with FF3se-m and compared the values between version 1.0 and 1.1, only to find that they're off a few bytes, so the patch wouldn't work with v.1.1 (which I've been working on all the time), sadly.

So I had but one choice, if I wanted the Kaiser Dragon sprite, I'd have to use v.1.0, and started my hack all over again on that version. Luckily, I could copy/paste much of my changes from one rom to the other, like the enemy stats data or enemy formation data, thanks to the detailed rom map found here: http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/f...fsets.html

After applying all the important patches and completing all my remaining edits with FF3usMe, I applied the graphics expansion patch next and imported the Kaiser sprite, then did the map expansion with FF6LE-CE and made sure to use some of the last few banks, so as to not conflict with the graphics expansion. I've rewritten my custom events and rebuild my dragon's den mini-dungeon (it's only 2 screens so far, for event testing purposes), tried it... and saw that my battle captions were all messed up, displaying only gibberish. Then I looked into FF3usMe and found... that the map expansion had overwritten my big and small battle captions, because I used FF3usMe's expansion of those, which relocated them to the FC bank... I didn't pay much attention to that before, but now...

So after a lot of crying, cursing, and scolding myself, I took a fresh vanilla rom and started doing everything all over... AGAIN, lol... And this time I paid close attention to not have my various expansions overlap with each other. I used the following banks for my expansions:

F0 bank: dialogue expansion with FF3usMe
F1-F5 banks: graphics expansion patch (according to the readme)
F7-FC banks: map expansion with FF6LE-CE (F7 for Chests, NPCs, Exits, and F8-FC for tilemaps)
FD bank: big and small battle captions expansion with FF3usMe
FE bank: AI script expansion with FF3usMe

This would leave banks F6 and FF reserved for custom events, right?

Now everything seemed to work, I got my maps and events running correctly, my battle dialogue as well, and Czar Dragon's new sprite is finally there in all of its glory. However, I've encountered two minor issues (neither is critical, though).

1) The map I've used for my Dragon's Den entrance (map 019F, the first of the newly added ones) displays some strangely animated tiles at the top 3 rows, even though they aren't visible in the editor (I've checked all 3 layers). Here's a picture:

[Image: 8c69dd-1583260923.png]

Strangely, these garbage tiles don't seem to be part of that map at all, as the top of the map starts below them, so I have no idea where they're coming from.

2) When entering the Cave in the Veld, I noticed that the message at the top now displayed 'Inn' instead of 'Cave on the Veldt'. I saw that 'Cave on the Veldt' is normally the last entry in the location names list (number 72). FF3usMe displays it correctly as 'Cave on the Veldt' in the location names tab, yet FF6LE-CE seems to have replaced location name 72 with multiple Inns (see picture 2). What could be the problem here?

[Image: 947262-1583264701.png]

I'm grateful for any advice you can give me.

Edit: Nevermind problem 2, I've just realised that the map expansion also expanded location names, and 'Inn' is probably the default value of 00 for that. Plus, the location names can be edited in FF6LE-CE, didn't see that before, lol. Still makes me wonder why 'Cave on the Veldt' got changed in the first place, I surely never edited it manually. But anyways, now only problem 1 remains, and I'm at a complete loss there.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-03-2020, 04:09 PM)Gestahl Wrote: 1) The map I've used for my Dragon's Den entrance (map 019F, the first of the newly added ones) displays some strangely animated tiles at the top 3 rows, even though they aren't visible in the editor (I've checked all 3 layers).

It could (or maybe not) be a problem with using map 0x19F and above. Have you tried using a dummy map below ID 0x19F to see if you have a similar problem? I remember Gi Nattak saying the original FF6LE had a bug with saving one of the map property that prevented him to add new maps properly but I forgot which property it is (it's a checkbox iirc). It was fixed on his version but not on the official release (this was a few months ago). I could look at it if you send me your ROM via pm with your FF6LE CE config file, but that won't be before the weekend. I would however try your custom map on a blank map below ID 0x19F first.

Edit: The FF6LE bug mentioned above is with byte 17 in the map properties (Layers tab). You can actually save its value with the version in attachment (it'S still v0.8.1 but should be 0.8.2). I'm not sure if this is what is causing your issue though.

.zip  FF6LE-CE.zip (153.93 KB, 9 downloads)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • C-Dude (03-04-2020)

Status
None
Thanks a lot! I've changed byte 17 with your new editor version, and it worked! I looked through other maps to see if I can recognize a pattern for byte 17, and then chose a value that is also used by most caves that use similar tilesets, and that seems to have done the trick.

On a side note, I once had trouble when using the warp spell to escape from my custom dungeon, I landed on a completely different place of the world map, unable to reach my airship again. This issue was solved when I set the unknown bit 3.1 for my exit. I did a bit of testing by clearing bit 3.1 from a few world map exits, and found that without this bit, returning to the world map became messed up. So I guess that this unknown bit 3.1. seems to be needed for having the warp spell work correctly (perhaps the spell 'remembers' the last exit that had bit 3.1 set, and warps you there?). Can you confirm this?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-04-2020, 02:17 PM)Gestahl Wrote: Thanks a lot! I've changed byte 17 with your new editor version, and it worked! I looked through other maps to see if I can recognize a pattern for byte 17, and then chose a value that is also used by most caves that use similar tilesets, and that seems to have done the trick.

That's good to know! I'll release a proper version 0.8.2 with the fix since it's a significant bug.

(03-04-2020, 02:17 PM)Gestahl Wrote: On a side note, I once had trouble when using the warp spell to escape from my custom dungeon, I landed on a completely different place of the world map, unable to reach my airship again. This issue was solved when I set the unknown bit 3.1 for my exit. I did a bit of testing by clearing bit 3.1 from a few world map exits, and found that without this bit, returning to the world map became messed up. So I guess that this unknown bit 3.1. seems to be needed for having the warp spell work correctly (perhaps the spell 'remembers' the last exit that had bit 3.1 set, and warps you there?). Can you confirm this?

I have no idea what bit 3.1 does, could it be the "Refresh parent map" bit here?
  Find

Status
None
(03-04-2020, 02:25 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 02:17 PM)Gestahl Wrote: On a side note, I once had trouble when using the warp spell to escape from my custom dungeon, I landed on a completely different place of the world map, unable to reach my airship again. This issue was solved when I set the unknown bit 3.1 for my exit. I did a bit of testing by clearing bit 3.1 from a few world map exits, and found that without this bit, returning to the world map became messed up. So I guess that this unknown bit 3.1. seems to be needed for having the warp spell work correctly (perhaps the spell 'remembers' the last exit that had bit 3.1 set, and warps you there?). Can you confirm this?

I have no idea what bit 3.1 does, could it be the "Refresh parent map" bit here?

Maybe, if the 'parent map' is the one remembered for the Warp spell. I'm not really sure, I just got that idea because I saw that bit 3.1 is set for all world map exits (except the one for Baren Falls, but since you can't use warp in that area anyway it wouldn't matter), and is never set by any other exits.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gestahl for this post:
  • C-Dude (03-04-2020)