Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Restored Menus

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Did anybody ever get around to (or research) restoring the menues removed from the English game that are in FF6j?

The SwdTech renaming and... Button config? I think. Always wanted to restore them just for the sake of, well like ANY removed content (good or bad) from anything. Not like its anything important, probably won't even use them, it was always just the point of there being code and not being in the game.

From what I've looked at in passing, the pointers to the code are still there (just dummied out to blank locations basically) and the code is in the FF6j C3 disassembly, that's about as far as I've looked. Don't even know where in the menu the options were removed from, or where the code that should draw them as options in the menu, or what code is missing from that code. In other words, yeah I haven't looked very deeply into it. Why research reinventing the wheel when someone else has already reinvented it?
Actually, I did look at the code enough to wonder if moving the code directly from FF6j is even possible being that it is set to draw kanji for the renaming process. If that would naturally pull from the English language characters or not without some adaptation, I again have no clue.
 While I haven't seen a patch for it, just seems hard to believe as long as this game has been getting molested that nobody restored any function that was removed from one version. Any directions, links, or pointing in the general direction of such a thing is appriciated.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • PowerPanda (02-18-2020)

Status
Zombie
Awesome, thank you very much.

It's not that I'm just lazy, I really don't go to Romhacking enough to even think about looking there. Been a long time since I have, so I'll be going through that full list later.

Thanks again.

Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Aw, I remember when Novalia posted the C3 Compendium on Slick and peppered the thread with nice little patches, like the patch to not trigger re-equip when de-/equipping Genji Glove/Gauntlet unless necessary. I don't suppose anyone saved that before Slick went down?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-18-2020, 12:49 PM)seibaby Wrote: I don't suppose anyone saved that before Slick went down?

I don't have this particular one but I have the relic indicator one. I'll put it up on the wiki soon.

Code:
The relics known as Gauntlet, Genji Glove, and Merit Award each have an
influence on what a character can or should equip. The Equip menu displays
information to that effect in the Super Famicom version, but the feature was
removed during localization to allow for longer item names.

This patch restores the system by resorting to icons instead of text. Two
different implementations are available. The first introduces new icons, while
the second makes use of the existing icons. A port for implementing the icon
system in the Super Famicom version is also available.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
@seibaby:

I think the patch you were looking for is named "Selective Re-Equip":

https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...es:novalia
  Find

Status
Zombie
Don't remember that patch being in my files either... It is now.

Back to the main topic though, kinda,

In the SwdTech Renaming Menu patch readme, Novaliaspirit makes the note that it will conflict with Madsiur's "fork of FF6LE" that increases the number of treasure bits.

I vaguely remember increasing treasure something and haven't been through that part lately, so I don't know what exactly "conflicts" or if there are resources available for relocation of one or the other to avoid conflicts.

Do you happen to remember if there were any options on the treasure expansion or was it that tight on what could be used?

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-19-2020, 04:53 PM)Catone Wrote: so I don't know what exactly "conflicts" or if there are resources available for relocation of one or the other to avoid conflicts.

The conflict arise from the patch and FF6LE Rogue CE using the same free SRAM (partially I think). I don't know how many free SRAM bytes the patch needs, but you would need to modify either the patch or FF6LE to use another range of free SRAM. I remember the block I've used had about $20 free bytes ($1E1D-$1E3F but not in totality).
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(02-19-2020, 05:12 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 04:53 PM)Catone Wrote: so I don't know what exactly "conflicts" or if there are resources available for relocation of one or the other to avoid conflicts.

The conflict arise from the patch and FF6LE Rogue CE using the same free SRAM (partially I think). I don't know how many free SRAM bytes the patch needs, but you would need to modify either the patch or FF6LE to use another range of free SRAM. I remember the block I've used had about $20 free bytes ($1E1D-$1E3F but not in totality).

Definitely not in totality because Grayshadow's Gogo magic list patch (the one that relocates RAM space of the Morph Gauge, Lores, Blitzes, and Swordtechs so that the contiguous Magic RAM block has an extra 54 bytes for Gogo) has compatibility with your work and it uses $1E3A-$1E3F.  I'm not sure how helpful that info is, but if the menu patch needs less RAM space than that it'd be the easier one to move.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Yeah, I would agree, at least think it would be easier to relocate the menu patches. Not possitive on how it works yet, but the notes mention using non-continuous SRAM. . . Somehow,

Gonna have to learn more about SRAM, I also never read the technicals of the expanded SRAM patch. Honestly, I'm not far enough through the restored menus to know where it's tring to send them exactly, but if IT has a conflict, and yours was in the $1E1D-$1E3F range, least I know what to keep an eye out for.

And in theory, least as I under stand it, Grayshadow's patch would work with Madsiur's patch, until you maxed out the added area and the two started tring to overlap. Madsiur's base patch wouldn't use the entire area allocated for it to be written until you used ALL the new space. Least that's to my understanding of it all. I am pretty tired and slow atm so I could be thinking about who knows what.

Find