Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Restored Menus

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I looked at FF6LE Rogue CE and it can expand optionally treasure bits from $1E40-$1E7F to $1E20-$1E7F. The only unused bytes from the original unused range are $1E1D-$1E1F but I think some other hacks I made are using them.. Realy at this point you can't really make all hacks compatible. Free SRAM (and RAM) eventually suffer the same fate as free space in ROM, things overlap and if you want compatibility for your hack you'll have to relocate and tweak manually some of the work of others.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Nah, just need to invent digital "duct tape", then duct tape the extra SRAM, a bit of RAM, and maybe a Tbyte of ROM space right to the side of it. Anything will hold with enough duct tape, sure the same goes for digital duct tape, just have to invent it.

Bad jokes aside, trying to cram everything into 1 ROM and make it function is half the challenge, and un-utilized resources are just wasteful, gotta make use of every single bit.

Regardless, back on topic, something that doesn't seem right. The SwdTech Menu patch uses 3 blocks of data to save any changes, (as usual, to the best of my understanding here)
/1CF8 (48 bytes)
/1E1D (35 bytes)
/1E70 (13 bytes)

Now sure, /1E1D to /1E40 would overlap with the treasure expansion, but wouldn't anything at /1E70 - /1E7D already cut the end off them anyway? Or does treasure info only fill up to /1E70  vanilla, but extend to /1E7F by default?

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
$1E70-$1E7F is unused in vanilla if you add no treasure chest. (but you can use that space by adding more treasure chests with the original FF6LE).
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Oh well, I guess I've gotten out of learning details of proper SRAM usage and allocation long enough.

Looking back, I'd possibly scrap doing the SwdTech renaming part at least (haven't gotten to the button remapping yet) maybe, but I've already invested to much time to dump it just to get out of learning and mapping SRAM, which I'll most likely have to do anyway.

The main reason I still think moving the SwdTech side of it around, instead of the treasure, still goes back to it already being designed to use non-continuous space. Should allow, to an extent, to use the smaller available chunks so other added patches don't have to be shuffled as much, or at least less planning involved making everything fit in available gaps of free space. If that logic makes any sense. As far as having to manually modify other's work, despite being the thing I hate doing most in regards to any programming, I planned on doing that anyway. Least to the extent of installing all patches manually.

You mention other of your hacks using "free" SRAM, while its obvious if you worked on expanding SRAM you intended on using it, I don't recall that many of your patches that took all that SRAM. Granted I'm not knowledgeable of your full library of published patches either at this time so, yeah guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find