Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Edgar glitches in Kefka's end speech

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I was completing a test playthrough of a personal romhack and came across a strange bug.  Celes and Edgar jumped up to give rebuttals, but after Edgar jumped down to join the party lineup self-help booklet moment, when the camera scrolled down he was in the wrong place, still performing the "jump down" animation.  https://i.imgur.com/unO5XtQ.png

I used the last save file I had with a vanilla, unmodified FF3 rom and it had the same thing happen, leading me to believe it's an emulator bug.  Maybe something with CPU timing.  I was playing this on my phone, Retroarch app with an Snes9x 2010 core.  The odd party lineup is because I was trying to test ending text without Strago, Terra, Locke, or Sabin having been recruited to the party.  Incidentally, some of the credits text didn't clear properly and the new text displayed over it, but I'm all but certain that's just an emulation bug, since Celes briefly showed up over the text box and I KNOW that's an emulation bug. I'm just not certain because there has been hardly any graphical issues this whole playthrough - a few lines failed to draw on enemies during some abilities but that's it.  I couldn't find any more information on this glitch, but if it's not because of the emulator then I was hoping I could track down a patch or fix for it.

I guess my question is - has anyone else run into this odd Edgar behavior?  Has a solution for this problem been documented?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I have never saw this thing.. To know if it's an emulator bug, try on your desktop with bsnes or higan. It it happens there too, it's probably not an emulation issue.
  Find

Status
None
I'm not feeling particularly motivated to try it with more emulators, just what I had on hand.  But the glitch shows up for
ZSNES: https://i.imgur.com/RTpDgmU.png
SNES9x, well on PC this time: https://i.imgur.com/elrFAoc.png

It's looking like this is just a bug related to your party composition.  IDK what causes it but maybe somebody will poke around and find out some day.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
If the last save data that you used for testing this on a vanilla ROM was save data from your personal romhack, I'd guess it's carrying over from some issue there.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Have you ever once saved your rom in Zone Doctor, even without any edits? If so, this map and cutscene are both irreversibly corrupted. That being said, if you ever want to laugh at hacked-together code, open this particular event in Zone Doctor and read through the coding. It would be an understatement to say this code could be optimized.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
Hmm, I have used Zone Doctor to move the Sprint Shoes in Narshe... But this particular bug crops up in the vanilla ROM I don't believe I ever opened with Zone Doctor, though I might be mistaken about that, and I also didn't test the vanilla ROM with Zsnes or anything other than Snes9x.

What other corruptions occur from using Zone Doctor? I thought the corruptions people warned about were the possibility of making the whole ROM buggy/crash.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
If you change any event data, Zone Doctor will change all subroutines to the CA bank, meaning the game is pretty much unplayable. However, simply opening a rom, making zero changes, and clicking "save" will corrupt the event pointers on the final battle and colosseum maps. It also adds a ton of junk data that no one can figure out. Bottom line, Zone Doctor is an extremely useful view-only tool, but if you have clicked save, even once, your rom is corrupt, and likely your save states. I believe your .srm file should still be useable, if you load from the last save point.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find