Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Reducing epileptic potential of Bum Rush

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I figured it would be a good idea to make Bum Rush do less flashes or perhaps dimmer red flashes to reduce how harsh it is on the eyes.  I thought someone had made this hack earlier, but it turns out I was misremembering - it's just that the screen is dimmed during the attack for the SNES classic version of the game.  I tried hex coding with the relevant documents and failed to do either one of those things on my attempts.  I didn't really know what I was doing with it, but using FF3usME I managed to get a whole variety of less or more glitchy effects while tinkering with the animation settings but it seems that's best used for combining the visual effect of different abilities (and some aren't compatible?).  Does anyone know how to do this?
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
You will need to do this in a hex editor. Go to this page:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...s:doc:game
and download the "Battle Animations Scripts" document by "Everything". Bum Rush starts at D0/6BFB. The strobe effect is probably in the loops that change the background color.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (01-13-2020)

Status
None
Right, that's the solution I tried. It has two or three loops with "set screen addition (white)" and I thought I changed them all to red (by checking a different attack that set the screen subtraction (red)), but all the flashes still appeared white in game. I'll try to switch them all to Set screen subtraction (red) instead of just the second half since maybe addition/subtraction screen commands work different than I thought. I couldn't figure out what hex code to use to do no flash without breaking things... I think this is a matter of inexperience on my behalf.

Never mind, I figured it out.  The problem was that I caught 3 of the White Flash commands, but near the end of the attack has 4 white flash commands (some of which have different value for the white, B0 E0 and B0 FF).  I replaced all of them with AF 60 and instead of red flashes I'm getting no flashes at all, which is acceptable enough.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kenefactor for this post:
  • madsiur (01-13-2020)

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(01-13-2020, 01:58 PM)Kenefactor Wrote: Never mind, I figured it out.  The problem was that I caught 3 of the White Flash commands, but near the end of the attack has 4 white flash commands (some of which have different value for the white, B0 E0 and B0 FF).  I replaced all of them with AF 60 and instead of red flashes I'm getting no flashes at all, which is acceptable enough.

Awesome! You should release an IPS for that. Are there any other photosensitive attacks anyone can think of?

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(01-13-2020, 05:02 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: Are there any other photosensitive attacks anyone can think of?

Schiller and Flash have a flash/white effect, there might be one or two other abilities like that but nothing else come to mind, Pearl maybe?

Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(01-13-2020, 06:41 PM)Warrax Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 05:02 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: Are there any other photosensitive attacks anyone can think of?

Schiller and Flash have a flash/white effect, there might be one or two other abilities like that but nothing else come to mind, Pearl maybe?

Pearl, Quadra Slam/Slice, some of the desperation attacks (I think Locke's and Strago's have flashes in them), Bolt3, Ice3, Fire3.  Those are all the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.
  Find

Status
None
It seems that the only other mention of photosensitive effects between versions is that the PlayStation has four softer white flashes for Bum Rush.  I don't know what to do to make that happen, but it could be an option for someone with more experience with timing in hex code commands.  I know the other attacks might have something of a photosensitive nature, but it's pretty telling that only Bum Rush got special treatment for it...  It's still a good idea to look into.  I haven't tested the results of my edits in different backgrounds (Can be learned at level 70, so even WoB maps and battles ought to be tested if need be) to see if there are unexpected errors or behavior but I can make a .ips later today to post.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Kenefactor for this post:
  • C-Dude (01-14-2020), madsiur (01-14-2020)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
You're right Kenefactor, a single flash isn't as problematic as the one-per-second one Bum Rush uses. I was having the same concern about Bum Rush you were and I guess I just subconsciously started cataloguing every attack that flashes.
  Find

Status
None
Okay, I haven't published a .ips before, so if people think this is worth getting over to http://www.romhacking.net in the future I could use a hand with the format.  Frankly, I don't mind the credit much, if somebody else finds bugs and changes the values to fix them I'd be fine with at most a passing mention.  I only tested this in like 3 overworld WoR battles.  It wasn't these two .ips specifically either, hopefully I didn't mix up which of the base, unmodified roms had the header.

And C-Dude, even if I pointed out that Bum rush is more problematic, I think that a hack to reduce all the photosensitive attacks in the game is a fine idea. I didn't intend to dismiss the idea, just give my reasoning for myself focusing on this one specifically.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kenefactor for this post:
  • madsiur (01-14-2020)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Hey Kenefactor, I suspect it may have been a mistake, but be sure to not upload a ROM here as or part of an attachment, just the ips patch please. Smile Feel free to re-upload it minus the ROM.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Kenefactor (01-15-2020)