Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 SNES vs GBA code differences?

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
Hello and long time no see everyone! I was wondering if I could get some help figuring stuff out xD.

Some of you may remember that I was making a number of changes for myself on the SNES rom YEARS ago, and am just now getting back into FF6, but wanted to mess around more with the GBA rom.

I was hoping to change things similar to what I had worked on with the SNES rom, but (unbeknownst to me) the coding is completely different. As my knowledge of coding and hex editing was already lackluster back in the day, I'm now even more rusty and not even working with the same material.

So my questions, is: Is there an easy discernible difference in the code from the SNES and GBA roms? For example, the color White in Hex(I believe in SNES as well) is FFFFFF, but in the GBA it's FF7F (can use the Advanced Palette Editor's 'Color Picker' to find these values).

The above has helped me locate and change palettes for sprites and portraits in the GBA version, but I can't seem to figure out how to do all the other things I once did in the SNES version. So, is there a 'decoder' ring to translate SNES to GBA so to speak, or not? Thanks in advance everyone!

~Royaken

[Image: 5452812CeqVF.png]
[Image: RoyakenGif_zpsacedef24.gif]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
The SNES and GBA have the same color system, 15-bit BGR format, each color being on two bytes: 0BBBBBGG GGGRRRRR

The GBA ROM share data with the SNES ROM but the code in the GBA ROM is not the same type of assembly than the SNES. You can find info on palettes and other things on the wiki and utilities like FF6Tools can extensively edit the data from the GBA versions. There is no "decoder".
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
Hey Madsiur, thanks for replying! I can safely say that the palettes in GBA. At least not when I edited them (I may also be misunderstanding xD). Which is why I was wondering if I could find the same things I changed before in the SNES version on the GBA more easily. However, the Assembly being different certainly explains why I can't find the same things. Appreciate the heads up! I've messed with FF6Tools for a little bit, but didn't see what I was looking for there, and some edits didn't seem to stick xD. Either way, this was enlightening. Thanks so much for the reply! I'll give the Wiki a look some more and see what I can discover.

Always appreciated Smile

[Image: 5452812CeqVF.png]
[Image: RoyakenGif_zpsacedef24.gif]
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Royaken for this post:
  • madsiur (11-01-2019)