Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
FF3 US - Informative Miss
version 1.0.0
released on 10/20/2019
author: Bropedio
download

Originally written for BTB and Synchysi's Brave New World mod (v2.0), this patch adds additional "Fail" and "Null" messages when certain attacks (primarily statuses) miss their target. This patch completely rewrites the Evil Toot and Mind Blast special effects, which may present compatibility issues. From the readme:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Null" displays when a target's immunity blocks any of:

* Status ailments
* Instant death/fractional damage
* Suplex

"Fail" displays for misses not caused by "Evade" or "MBlock"

* Stamina-evasion (eg. instant death attacks)
* Stunner special effect

"Miss" no longer displays when a status attack misses as a
result of the target already having the status.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first submission here at ff6hacking, so please let me know if there's anything I can do to improve its quality, or better adhere to the guidelines here!
  Find
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Bropedio for this post:
  • C-Dude (10-22-2019), Gi Nattak (10-22-2019), madsiur (10-23-2019), PowerPanda (10-23-2019), Robo Jesus (10-23-2019), Warrax (10-22-2019)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Really cool patch, thanks! Sorry for the bit of lag on getting your first post processed, glad to have you here. Smile

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
I'm having some trouble with this patch. I used ASAR to rebuild the changes in a different freespace (first time using ASAR, by the way) and the compressed graphics are pointing to the wrong spots now... I'm getting a backwards 76 for null, a gray cloud for miss, and empty space for fail.

Code:
!C2Space    = $C2facd
!C2SpaceEnd = $C2fe5e

These are the only lines I changed in the .asm file before running it through ASAR. I tested it on an otherwise vanilla FF6, and with only this change the compressed graphics stop working properly. Is there something else that has to be changed to fix their pointers?

EDIT: Got it working. Took a difference patch between your IPS file and the version of the ASM I assembled, and there was a random change at C1/A52A on mine. Can't explain why that happened since all I changed in your .asm file was the freespace. Oh well, it works now, thank you!
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey C-Dude, sorry I didn't reply sooner. My guess would be that ASAR handles MVN and MVP opcodes differently than the version of xkas I work with. That might explain why the wrong tiles were getting copied to VRAM. Glad you got it working!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Bropedio for this post:
  • C-Dude (10-29-2019)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
It was probably a problem with ASAR.  I know the preferred assembler for SNES hacking and FF6 hacking is Xkas .06, but I can't get it to run without instantly crashing.

I'm glad I used ASAR, though, even with the hiccup.  It was much more efficient than trying to relocate and repoint manually in a hex editor.

EDIT: By the way, your patch is all kinds of awesome, thank you for sharing it.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(10-29-2019, 06:34 PM)C-Dude Wrote: It was probably a problem with ASAR.  I know the preferred assembler for SNES hacking and FF6 hacking is Xkas .06, but I can't get it to run without instantly crashing.

For xkas you'll need to open up a command prompt and create the path to it then something like:
xkas patch_name.asm rom_name.smc

Threads: 1
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Hey Bropedia, awesome work, and I really want to include this in my mod, but one big issue is it seems to conflict with the Vanish/Doom patch available here:

http://www.rpglegion.com/ff6/hack/vanish.htm

I notice when both are applied the "Miss" shows up when it should be "Null" at times. Know any way around that? Really want them both working.

Also, more on the minor side, it shows Miss when using Air Anchor, when I believe it should be saying Null, even without the above patch.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
I messaged him via discord about this, he just the other day became a brand new father though, so it may be some time before he sees it or is able to do anything about this!

Status
None
Hahah, fair enough. Thanks though.
  Find

Status
None
So I identified a problem in my hack that seems to be coming from this, even applying this to a completely vanilla non-headered ROM with the .ips patch: many counterattacks don't seem to work anymore! Chadarnook and Humbaba are not triggering their "when attacked" spells at least, can't see Phantasm on Chadarnook and Humbaba was never blowing away 2 characters but instead waiting for his death. Can anyone else verify this issue and/or know any way to remedy it?
  Find