Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FFVI PSX hacking

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hi everyone! Hope my topic is in the right place. I'm trying to make hack for the PS1 version, especially to change some esper & monster sprites. As far as I've understood, these resourses should be in file called MONCHR.BIN. I guess the graphics is in tiles, I tried to view it in TileMolester, but no matter what I did, the only thing I can see is something like in the attached example.

Looks like some... parts of the monsters? The parameters of the program: 4bpp linear, reverse-order.
Probably the graphics are packed somehow? I know the PS1 version is not as popular as the SNES especially for the hacks, so I can only hope that the resourses and the formats of both versions have something in common. Is there a way to unpack and change such graphics? Any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
It looks like the graphic format is fine. What you need now are the graphic maps. For 64x64 monsters it's 8 bytes, each bit representing a tile. A 0 is blank tile and a 1 is a GFX tile. It's a bit of a compression to avoid blank space in the GFX data. The 128x128 monsters follow the same principle except that data is 32 bytes.

You'll also need the data for the palette and GFX pointer to display them properly in an editor.

See also:
http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/F...eSetup.txt
http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/F...tBmTmp.txt

Hopefully the data would be similar in the PSX release.. Here's the SNES data:

Code:
D27000     D2777F     Monster Graphics Data (384 items, 5 bytes each)
D2A820     D2A821     Pointer to Small Monster Graphic Maps (+$D20000)
D2A822     D2A823     Pointer to Large Monster Graphic Maps (+$D20000)
D2A824     D2AC23     Small Monster Graphic Maps (128 items, 8 bytes each)
D2AC24     D2B223     Large Monster Graphic Maps (48 items, 32 bytes each)

Edit: In the SNES release, some monsters use the 3bpp format. This was removed in the GBA release and all monsters use the 4bpp format. I have no idea where the PSX release stand in this regard.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Wow... not sure that I've understood everything you wrote lol, but thanx for quick reply, will try to dig deeper into this stuff!
  Find