Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Creating 10 Choices

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello! I'm new here, and new to FF6 hacking in general. I'm currently trying a few things by hex-editing an FF3 (Snes) rom. My current goal is creating the ability to choose a permanent Job Class for your characters at the start of the game. Like, if I wanted Edgar to be able to use Blitz instead of Tools, I can program (40 04 05) to give Edgar Sabin's stats and commands instead of his own. Doing it in Hex is easy, but allowing the player a chance to decide who gets what is a whole other can of worms.

I've made it simpler on myself by only creating 4 characters for the player. After that character's name change subroutine is run, I wanted to create a second window that says "Now choose a job for this character!" with a list of possible job class choices. That job would remain permanent for the remainder of the game, so no switching back and forth is necessary.

Whether or not this will actually work is irrelevant at the moment. It's just an experiment. The roadblock I'm currently faced with may be important for any number of situations though. The thing that's currently stopping me is: "How do I give the player a list of 10 Jobs to choose from?"

My initial idea was to create a text tree. I ran a subroutine (since I would be doing it with 4 characters), and made a text tree that created Text Page 1 with Warrior (40 00 01 FE), Monk (40 00 02 FE) and (Next page); a Page 2 with White Mage (40 00 03 FE), Black Mage (40 00 04 FE), (Previous Page) and (Next Page); and so on. This isn't quite working out like I had hoped because I tried to use the code for (Previous Page) as a GoTo command (in this case, B2 xx yy zz to go back to the page 1 options). The game reads this B2 command as a NEW subroutine, so my return commands don't behave properly if you use them.

I also considered manipulating the giant text box that appears at the end of the vanilla game which allows you to reorganize your party before the final battle, but I wouldn't even know where to get started with that. Like I've said, I'm a beginner! 

Does anyone have any experience with creating a system by which a player can make a choice beyond the 4 lines available in a standard text box? Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Another option besides simply a dialog window choice system, is to have a character selection kind of map (think 3-scenarios, or even the Narshe battle) and have the player be able to walk around with some generic sprite or what have you and choose a character/class, in which a dialog box would open letting the player know which class it is etc. and then if they want to choose it or not. That'd make it fun and practical. It would be a fair bit more complicated event-wise, but definitely doable.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Morendo (05-24-2019)

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hmmm... the problem would be that the events need to continue after you have chosen your class, so you couldn't go to a separate scene unless each "yes" option jumped back into the event.

Dialogue is still an option. You just have to reserve 2 of the 4 choices for "Next" and "Back". Alternatively, you could just display one option with a "yes" or "no". Yes applies the profile and continues the scene. No branches back.

Within an object action queue, there is command FC XX, branch backwards by XX bytes. I've never played around with this, aside from repeating the laugh animation until another character is done doing their stuff. I wonder if it could be used outside of an action queue. I've never tried.

EDIT: You're quickly going to run out of event space for this. If you need more event space, you can check out my hack "Cyan's Uneventful Dream". It frees up close to a kilobyte of space for adding new content, while hardly affecting the story at all.

Also, what are you going to do about Morph, Rage, and Umaro's abilities? All 3 are pointed to specific character slots.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Someone had a hack in progress using what @"Gi Nattak" said basically:

[Image: 33.png]
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(05-24-2019, 06:33 PM)madsiur Wrote: Someone had a hack in progress using what @"Gi Nattak" said basically:

[Image: 33.png]

Look at that! That's excellent! Gi Nattak had the right idea. I think I might do something along these lines as well. If nothing else it will be a good practice session for me to learn more about event coding. Thank you everyone! Smile
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Morendo for this post:
  • madsiur (05-25-2019)