Users browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)
ReCast FF3: War of the Magitek

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(06-21-2020, 05:20 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: uses MP for a Mortal Blow, but it actually randomly cleaves instead.

Oops, that's a description oversight.  I'm working on a new version, I'll be sure to fix this.

As for wandering around after defeating Chardanook, the subroutine I used to hide the actors also frees up player movement during the event.  I had hoped that the text box would keep them in place, but I guess it doesn't work that way.  I don't think an exit can trigger while the text box is open, though, so the player shouldn't be able to miss the hint about visiting Lola.

I'll look into addressing that when I go into the event script again; I've been playing with this MBlade code and I'm tossing around if and how I want to work it into ReCast.  Were I to pursue it as a character addition I'd have to lose Sarge or Tamed Gau as player graphics... I'm not sure I want to make that sacrifice.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Is the Water Rod supposed to be Poison element?

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Moog
No, the Water rod is not meant to be poison element, and neither is the Onyx rod meant to be Earth element. ...The latter may have been intended at one point, so that it could still do physical damage against bosses, but the former is definitely an oversight.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Loving the hack so far. I have an issue where I am missing one of Mog's dances, the equivalent of Love Sonata in the original. Is this one acquired in Zozo or somewhere else?
  Find

Status
Moog
Glad you're enjoying it. Riverstep (the slot 4 dance) should be learnable in any blue cave (such as the cave to South Figaro), as well as on the Veldt and in the Magitek Research Facility. There might be a few other places for it, but Zozo teaches CliffJive because the skyscrapers are like man-made cliffs.

You're probably thinking "Why the Veldt?". Because Barren Falls dumps out on the Veldt, so a water dance felt appropriate to learn there.

You won't learn the slot 8 dance until the World of Ruin.
  Find

Status
None
Hi, I'm very curious about this project, it already got me, just by reading it!

I have a question. I read some replies from this topic searching for the answer for my doubt and didn't find it, so I'm gonna ask it, although it might sound dumb. There seems to be a lot of versions, but which one is the most recent?

Thanks in advance.
  Find

Status
Moog
(06-24-2020, 09:45 PM)Setzer Wrote: There seems to be a lot of versions, but which one is the most recent?

Thanks in advance.

You want to be playing version 1.11 right now (6/24/2020).  That version went live on RHDN about two weeks ago, and fixed a critical event bug in the Narshe defense.

There were a lot of rapid bugs that were discovered and corrected right after the hack came out, which is why it isn't a tidy number like Version 1.  I also was privately developing the hack here before I went public, so there are notes in the first post about beta builds which are no longer available (if it says BUILD version X, it's referring to that... all build versions are older than release version 1).  You can always find the latest version I want publicly available on Romhacking.net, though.

Currently, version 1.11 has the following known bugs:

> Ogre Nix's description is wrong, it doesn't use MP for criticals... it has cleave.
> Water Rod's attack element should not be poison.  When used for the spell, it works as intended.
> Onyx Rod's attack element should not be earth.  When used for the spell, it works as intended.
> There is a minor event bug that lets you walk around during dialogue in World of Ruin Maranda.  I don't think that you can exit an area while an event is in progress, so this isn't a big deal... just a peculiarity.
> Chocobo Flicker (I can't fix this): Sometimes when you ride a chocobo, the ground will flicker. This has something to do with the random number generator I think, but I can't sort it out.
> Purple Intro Text (I can't fix this): Sometimes, based on RNG, the intro text will be bright purple instead of white. This is because one of the patches I used made use of some RAM that the game uses to load intro text.

I'm not close to a fix for these yet (or rather I am for most of them, but I'm waiting for more issues to come up).  Version 1.11 will be the one to go to for a while.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Setzer (06-24-2020)

Status
None
(06-24-2020, 01:50 PM)C-Dude Wrote: Glad you're enjoying it.  Riverstep (the slot 4 dance) should be learnable in any blue cave (such as the cave to South Figaro), as well as on the Veldt and in the Magitek Research Facility.  There might be a few other places for it, but Zozo teaches CliffJive because the skyscrapers are like man-made cliffs.

You're probably thinking "Why the Veldt?".  Because Barren Falls dumps out on the Veldt, so a water dance felt appropriate to learn there.

You won't learn the slot 8 dance until the World of Ruin.

Slot 8 was the one I was referring to. I just assumed it was the one you pick up inside buildings. I am in the world of ruin, just beat Doom Gaze and still have picked up the dance so I was worried I missed something.
  Find

Status
Moog
Phantom Waltz is learned in Kefka's tower, so you're good on that front. It will either cast Shock (inflicting random ailments on all enemies w/damage) or Pearl Wind when used.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • Danaster (07-01-2020)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Hello,

I did a little challenge run for the game (it might not be processed yet if you see this right away):

The rules are in the description, but I think it makes sense to post them here too:

0 EXP - The bosses in this hack give EXP (unlike vanilla), and lots of it.  I decided that removing EXP from the hack altogether would be the best way to make the challenge more about good gameplay and less of a math problem related to EXP distribution.  Ironically, most characters' levels end up higher than in a vanilla LLG because Daryll, who replaces Setzer, joins five levels above the level average.

NM: Natural Magic - Characters may not learn any spells from Espers.  Equipment in this hack doesn't teach any spells either.  More characters have natural magic in this hack, but at my levels most of it is a pile of trash.

NOI: No Offensive Items - I can't do any damage by throwing offensive items like rods, shields, or Super Balls.  I can technically use Magicite if it doesn't attack the enemy, but there's no good reason to take that risk regardless.

NC: No Cheese - This is a broadly defined category to exclude any options that are against the spirit of the challenge.  It encompasses several things:

1. No negative status effects against bosses.  My definition of "boss" is rather arbitrary, but hopefully only in ways that you'll agree are overly restrictive, if anything.  This also prohibits status effects that bosses reflect off my characters or inflict upon themselves directly, though not statuses they start the fight with or apply invisibly.
2. No percentage-based damage or instant death attacks against bosses.  It's fine if a boss uses a move that causes itself to die indirectly or is scripted to kill itself in a response to some attack (like how Vargas dies when you hit him with Pummel).  In this hack, many attacks are percentage-based that were not percentage-based in vanilla, like Bum Rush.
3. No attacks that deal damage based on the number of steps that I've taken, even against random enemies.  This bans Step Mine, Hound, and any counter-attacks made by Interceptor.  If Interceptor does counter-attack, I must reset.
4. No milling bosses' MP.  If a "Needs MP" message appears from a boss, I must reset.
5. No Crusader because it drops enemy HP to one.

BS1: Battle Speed 1 - Self-explanatory.  Changing the battle speed to a lower value only hurts me in the vast majority of cases because battle speed only affects the enemy in FF6.  So on battle speed 6, the enemy may as well have auto-slow status.  I apply this restriction so that it's harder to get seven turns to the enemy's one.

Confused Moogles FTW
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Lockirby2 for this post:
  • C-Dude (07-04-2020), madsiur (07-04-2020)