Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
ReCast FF3: War of the Magitek

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
I just tested a before and after and yes this is a bug. Dangit, and I just released the hack too!

Okay, so here's what happened:

* Status monster was triggering the "MMMMMMMMAGIC?!" cutscene with its status displays, so I added a check for that variable.
* Every turn, the monster clears Stop from its status, then sets it again if the flag isn't cleared.
* The check for the monster to self-terminate was AFTER the "set stop" part of the script. This prevented it from self-terminating until the "MMMMMMAGIC?!" cutscene occurred.
* I never caught this oversight because I always end up casting Cure1 on the party during the Magitek fight. I've just tested it with the death call moved up and now it works, I'll prepare a new package to download as soon as I can.

Until then, you can get around this by having Terra cast something in battle. The glitch will also resolve itself once you reach South Figaro, as the game clears the cutscene flag there regardless of if you saw it or not.

Good catch, Lockirby!

EDIT: First post has an updated version. Now to do the walk of update shame on RHDN.

EDIT: @Cecil, Yeah, I originally did get an overflow from 255 speed. I ended up giving the monster Haste (which sped up the ATB without modifying agility) and set its speed somewhere in the 220 range. After testing it at battle speed 3, I felt it took turns at an acceptable pace.
The status monster DID significantly modify combat, though, both by delaying when it ends (causing final commands to whiff and waste MP, unless they're beneficial stuff like Cure or Life) and by filling up the queue with actions. If you play the hack you'll find that you frequently get the entire party to full ATB at the same time, and selecting the order of their actions is much more important.

EDIT: RHDN users found a soft-lock that is so glaring I can't believe I missed it. It's been fixed in v1.02, and it regards the banquet. Note for posterity; if you have an optional character in an existing event, make sure you test it three times; once with them not recruited, once with them recruited and in the party, and once with them recruited and NOT in the party. I missed that third test and it was a mistake to do so.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Cool, thanks for the info. Glad I don't need to update to progress. Smile

From what I can tell from testing it in battler, the Armlet does nothing to increase my attack power. I tested it with both Throw and Fight, and I saw no change in the damage.

You also said in the ReadMe that "Cover is more effective if Edgar is in the back row, though his Retorts will suffer for it." However, when I tested it, Retort did the same damage regardless of row.

For some reason, I can rob Mog of his stuff during the time when I choose a scenario. Was this intentional?

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Moog
(05-23-2020, 11:28 AM)Lockirby2 Wrote: From what I can tell from testing it in battler, the Armlet does nothing to increase my attack power.  I tested it with both Throw and Fight, and I saw no change in the damage.
Oops! Locke doesn't actually have 'Fight'. It's 'Capture' renamed to 'Fight' to hide his special character mechanic. I took care of it in the Fanatics Tower (Capture 'Fight' wasn't changing to 'Magic' properly) but I guess the fight boost doesn't apply to the Capture command. I'll double check it on another character (Terra probably) but I think what I'm going to do to fix it is just prohibit Locke from equipping it.

EDIT: Hmm, yeah, it's only adding like 15 damage over not having it equipped. What's up with that? There's a bunch of hex changed where the calculation used to be, but it's not documented in Hatzen08's Fair Damage. Could it be something from the bugfix compilation? I'll need to look into this more closely.

(05-23-2020, 11:28 AM)Lockirby2 Wrote: You also said in the ReadMe that "Cover is more effective if Edgar is in the back row, though his Retorts will suffer for it." However, when I tested it, Retort did the same damage regardless of row.
Hmmm, I thought Retort was row-sensitive. I don't want to risk breaking something by fiddling with it, so I'll remove that statement from the read-me next time I push an update. His fight damage will still be diminished, though, because the only backrow weapons are the gambler trappings.
Edgar is definitely a backrow character, though, throughout the game.

(05-23-2020, 11:28 AM)Lockirby2 Wrote: For some reason, I can rob Mog of his stuff during the time when I choose a scenario. Was this intentional?
Yes, it is intentional. You can use his gear during the various scenarios if you think to take it from him. Hold on Sabin benefits from wielding the mithril morningstar early. You will regret it later, though, because you'll have to re-equip Mog for a certain fight if you robbed him.
Don't fret, though, you would have gotten that equipment anyway after the scenario split resolved; Mog is set to remove equipment on the Narshe cliff.

There is a game-breaking bug at the banquet that you will need to update for, if you recruit a certain someone and don't take them to the banquet with you. You can avoid this bug by skipping that recruit, taking said person to your dinner party, or updating to v1.02. All three options will be compatible with your saves.
  Find

Status
Double
(05-23-2020, 01:39 PM)C-Dude Wrote: Hmmm, I thought Retort was row-sensitive.  I don't want to risk breaking something by fiddling with it, so I'll remove that statement from the read-me next time I push an update.  His fight damage will still be diminished, though, because the only backrow weapons are the gambler trappings.
Edgar is definitely a backrow character, though, throughout the game.

In vanilla, nothing is row-sensitive except Fight, making the front row almost worthless.  I can't find evidence that you applied Synchysi's patch to create a flag for back-row compatible spells, so I'm assuming that nothing except Fight respects row in this hack either (which is why I attempted to verify that Retort statement).  That said, Cover makes the front-row viable for a single character assuming they benefit at all in terms of damage, so it's more useful than in vanilla if nothing else.

I'm also seeing that Earrings have no effect, so it's not limited to just the Armlet.

In the equipment menu, when I look at the Rubber Boots, the elemental resistance icons are inside some of the other text.

Confused Moogles FTW
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lockirby2 for this post:
  • C-Dude (05-23-2020)

Status
Moog
(05-23-2020, 03:39 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: In vanilla, nothing is row-sensitive except Fight, making the front row almost worthless.  I can't find evidence that you applied Synchysi's patch to create a flag for back-row compatible spells, so I'm assuming that nothing except Fight respects row in this hack either (which is why I attempted to verify that Retort statement).  That said, Cover makes the front-row viable for a single character assuming they benefit at all in terms of damage, so it's more useful than in vanilla if nothing else.

I'm also seeing that Earrings have no effect, so it's not limited to just the Armlet.
Okay, so I'm not sure why they stopped working but I've gotten them to work again by adjusting some code from Hatzen08's Fair Damage patch. I was also able to alter that code to make Bushido, Blitz, Rage, and Jujitsu row-sensitive. I'll push these fixes in the next patch, but I want to wait to see if there're more problems first.

(05-23-2020, 03:39 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: In the equipment menu, when I look at the Rubber Boots, the elemental resistance icons are inside some of the other text.
...like this! Hrrggh, what could have caused this? Probably the equipment menu changes I took from Brave New World... I'll have to see if I can find how to set this back to vanilla without breaking something else, but UI is not my strong-suit.

Thank you for finding all these bugs, though! It's hard to spot stuff like this.

EDIT: I've found the error that caused the inventory problem and corrected it. Uploaded a new version to the first post.
  Find

Status
Double
Wow, you fixed that stuff fast!

As an aside, forget "overwhelming Gestahlian power". Ultros II died before he even attacked. Tongue

I've seen a couple enemies target themselves with attacks now. The Troubadour hit itself with a special attack (I think it was alone at the time, but I'm uncertain), and the FossilFang just hit one of the Mosquitos with Blind.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Found a minor bug, not sure which way it is intended to be. Biggs seems to keep flipping between two sprites after the events with Leo and Kefka in Thamasa.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Alby4t5 for this post:
  • C-Dude (05-24-2020)

Status
Double
Have you changed the auction house at all? I got Golem just fine, but I made ~100 attempts and haven't seen Zoneseek at all, which is extremely unlikely to say the least.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Moog
@Lockirby2:
Enemies with the Zombie status will occasionally attack themselves.  Throw a tonic at them.

Ultros 2 is an easy fight if you've been using your espers, but the boss fight is extremely difficult if you're playing a Natural Magic run; every time he moves to a new spot he basically full-heals; tentacle hits for a lot, and he likes to cast Kupolka.
----

@Alby4t5:
...Hmm...
If you tell Biggs to keep his uniform on, he's supposed to be dressed as a soldier for the rest of the World of Balance.  Since he's drawn on the ship without it, when you talk to him he'll put it on before he talks to you.  Is that what you're talking about?

It's a bit of an event bug, but it was the only way I could set him up to work.  If he's changing outfits in combat or when he's in the party, then I need to look into this further.
---

@Lockirby2:
Zonezeek's not in the auction house, you get that esper in the World of Ruin (not from the auction house, in an event).

I didn't know players would hit the auction house that hard trying to get the other esper; I'll add a note about it in the read-me.
  Find

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(05-24-2020, 12:58 PM)C-Dude Wrote: @Alby4t5:
...Hmm...
If you tell Biggs to keep his uniform on, he's supposed to be dressed as a soldier for the rest of the World of Balance.  Since he's drawn on the ship without it, when you talk to him he'll put it on before he talks to you.  Is that what you're talking about?

It's a bit of an event bug, but it was the only way I could set him up to work.  If he's changing outfits in combat or when he's in the party, then I need to look into this further.

That might be it. It's possible I might have told him to wear the uniform and not even noticed. My bad then. XD
  Find