Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Questions about tilesets

Status
None
Is there enough room for more tilesets in the various versions of FF3/6? I ask because it seems lame that Doma castle isn't a samurai castle.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
There is no room for more without relocating them iirc. But it can be done and since we have the source of FF6LE you can easily modify it to suit tilemap/tileset expansion. I've done it for RotDS but only tilemaps.
  Find

Status
None
Difference between tile sets and maps?

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-25-2019, 04:12 PM)MysticLord Wrote: Difference between tile sets and maps?

A tileset is all the tiles(128 on a layer) possible to use in a tilemap. A tilemap is the arrangement of the map and the data reference tile IDs of the tileset.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
This is one of those terms it's assumed everyone knows but doesn't, and it's amazing that something like this has not been explained until now.

I'm hijacking the topic to ask a related question. Is there any way a tilemap can easily be exported into a matrix, so that numbers and letters can represent the tiles? Or would one have to write a tool for that?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-27-2019, 12:24 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: I'm hijacking the topic to ask a related question. Is there any way a tilemap can easily be exported into a matrix, so that numbers and letters can represent the tiles? Or would one have to write a tool for that?

It's already the case, I think in-game it's just a single-dimension array and "lines and columns" are defined by the width and height of the map, but the game does not really have the notion of this being a 2D array. Zone Doctor can export all layers tilemaps in binary format.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Turbotastic (04-28-2019)