Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Which bug fixes do you consider indispensable?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
EDIT: I found and fixed which patch was causing the problem.  LeetSketcher's Morph Mayhem appears to be incompatible with spells that apply Morph status.  It must be expecting the status to only be set by the Morph command.
I applied the antipatch of that to the C.V. Bugfix collection and it addressed my issue.  I'm going to comment in the compilation thread as well, to warn others who might run into this problem.

ORIGINAL POST:
So I thought I was at the end of the modding road, starting a full playthrough test.  Unfortunately, I ran into a catastrophic crash with the Revert auto-command almost instantly.  As I've been compartmentalizing the moving parts of my hack, I was able to pin down the source of the problem... it was something in the C.V. Bugfix compilation.

Unfortunately, I don't know WHAT in the compilation caused the conflict.  So I went to Romhacking.net and grabbed every bugfix patch I could find, but I have to test them each individually to see which one causes the crash... _and_ they only represent about half of the fixes that were present in the C.V. Bugfix compilation.

Obviously the Sketch bug fix is a given, as is the Evade/M.Evade fix (though I can't seem to find a copy of that one).  What other game-breaking bugs am I overlooking?

Which fixes do you feel are significant (and essential) and which do you feel a player could live without?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
The Evade Bug Fix Patch can be found here: http://www.rpglegion.com/ff6/hack/patches.htm

Other than the ones you mentioned, the Vanish/Doom Fix and Psycho Cyan Fix comes to my mind in terms of fixing things that players can exploit to beat enemies easily.

If you are looking for bugfix patches, you should check the Patch Hosting section here and section below it: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ff3:links
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Menu Malarky to prevent exploits when entering menu and Muddle/Smoke Bomb fix to prevent bad timings with queued attacks/spells before getting confused.

Find

Status
Moog
What's the best way to check whether a bugfix patch needs a header or not? I've found a lot of compressed directories of patches, but they have no readmes and the files themselves don't have H or N (or UH) in their names. Is it customary that no label means headered US 1.0?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-31-2019, 02:10 AM)C-Dude Wrote: What's the best way to check whether a bugfix patch needs a header or not?

If there is only one patch and the readme or webpage does not state it, you have to try one of the two options and test the game at the point of where the relevant code is executed, e.g. test if the bug is still present.

Edit: if you have the code offsets affected in the readme as an example, you can apply the patch and generate an IPS report (with Lunar IPS) and see if it's the good offsets affected.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • C-Dude (04-04-2019)

Status
Moog
After fighting with it for days, I think I've finally ironed out all the wrinkles. Basically event patches don't like to play nice with other event patches, resulting in freezes, quit-to-titles, scrambles, and spontaneous Blitz learning.

So I grabbed the hex from address 0-C3:FFFF to get all the battle-fixes out of C.V.'s collection and made that into a new patch. Seems to be working out well so far: the Figaro basement is no longer locking itself and Cyan didn't reset the game when rushing out to the Imperial Base.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Can you share? I've been wanting to do the same thing, but have been putting it off for almost a year. It's one of THE main barriers for my hack to be released, as I didn't know about the bugfix massive patch before I started making edits of my own, and I'm too far in to start from scratch.

And yes, Event Code and Map Data does NOT mix between hacks.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
Moog
Okay, attaching it to this post.  I made generic patches for you based on the C3 hexgrab and the knowledge your chocobo patch conflicts with the Banon Riding patch (which was included in the CV compilation).  I can't give you mine, because I've got changes you wouldn't want (such as added spell learning for Mog, Shadow, Relm and Strago, and applying the monster AI overhaul by Hatzen).
Keep in mind these patches are generic: nothing is better than the legitimate article.  If your combat systems are playing nice and your events aren't, then it would be better to select the hex block C0:0000 to C3:FFFF and copy-paste it to make your own custom patch.

Hopefully you have an unsullied version of your event changes, one before you applied CV or another compilation with event changes?  I was unsuccessful trying to 'unsully' a DivergentPaths ROM that had been blended with CV, but I was able to combat-patch a fresh one.  If you've made significant changes in the C0-C3 banks, you'll also want to watch for patch conflicts: you may need to move your stuff to new addresses once CV to C3 is in place.  An IPS report will help you find the conflict spots, though they're a pain to scour.

I was also able to save and transfer my item, monster, and spell work out of a corrupted rom by hex-grabbing their relevant sections, pasting them in a clean rom, and making a patch from it.  I used this site's map to do so successfully.
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...sm:rom_map

Just so you know, I haven't finished my test playthrough yet.  While I have passed the branching paths (and I assume that means there will be no more event surprises), my playtest has only reached the end of the Narshe fight.  I kept having to start over from the beginning to make sure the RAM wasn't doing something funny with an old save, which is why I'm not further along.

EDIT: By the way, be on the lookout for Battle Commands and Character Names. While mine were simple enough to reinstate with FF3USME, you'll probably want to hexgrab them from C4:78C0-C4:7A3F (names) and CF:FE00-CF:FE3F (commands) and D8:CEA0-D8:CF7F.

Attached Files
.zip  For PowerPanda.zip (236.95 KB, 7 downloads)
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • PowerPanda (04-05-2019), Robo Jesus (01-19-2020)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(04-05-2019, 02:06 AM)C-Dude Wrote: and applying the monster AI overhaul by Hatzen).

Which one is this exactly?

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Moog
(04-05-2019, 12:37 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 02:06 AM)C-Dude Wrote: and applying the monster AI overhaul by Hatzen).

Which one is this exactly?

Patch: Selectable Script by HatZen08
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3089.html

Makes it so that monsters draw from their Control list when their "Special Event" flag is not set.  Using that patch also means revising every monster in the ROM (which I did, but it took a long time).  It was convenient for me because I changed the spells (18 for each type of magic instead of the paltry _9_ Healing used to have) and I wanted monsters to cast more often, so I was able to toss stuff in the Control list and delete their scripts (limiting the amount of hex AI I had to do).  But... for somebody else, that could be problematic... especially if they're already far along on their mod like PowerPanda is.

So I didn't include my version of the CV-to-C3 battle patch in the zip, because it wouldn't be helpful to a hacker.  The ones in the directory were made 'clean' from the complete CV compilation rather than from my work-in-QA.
  Find