C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Hello. :3

Bug-Fix update:

Updated: Imperial Camp Dialogue Fix (DrakeyC) to version 1.2 (and to Events patch).

Added: Drained Pool Tile Fix (Gi Nattak) (and to Graphics patch).

Script-Fix update (yes, really!):

Thanks to Catone for reporting that Wedge is actually the gate-breaker. And thanks to C-Dude for confirming. I fixed that and more. Now Wedge and Vicks are always identified correctly in the game's opening. Wedge now gets the game's first line and Vicks the second (this was also fixed in FF6 Advance). That fixes a tiny continuity error in the opening. Vicks is now the one who speaks when you arrive at Narshe and when you try to leave, based on him moving last before the line appears. Wedge is now the one who says he will break the gate because it is Wedge who breaks the gate. So it all should be accurate now.

Thanks, everyone. :3
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (10-03-2022), SilentEnigma (10-03-2022)

Status
None
UPDATE:

Updated Drained Pool Tile Fix (Gi Nattak) to 1.1 in main patches and Graphics patch.

Get this update immediately. Very important.

Bye-bye. :3
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • madsiur (10-09-2022), SilentEnigma (10-09-2022), Vanya (11-04-2022)

Status
None
Late update, but it's here. :3

Added: Tube Job (Gi Nattak) to main patch and to graphics patch in "There's Options".

Should I add Oceanic Line Anomaly? I don't THINK it's a bug, but who knows with THIS game.

See you hopefully sooner next time.

~Cora~

EDIT: I need to remember that it's 2023 now, not 2022. OwO
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (01-21-2023)

Status
None
Updated:

I swapped Multi-Steal (modified) for SilentEnigma's Multi-Steal-Fix Simplified Edition. This applies to the main patch and the Battles patch in the "There's Options" folder.

Happy patching and have a good time. :3

You know what? I feel like talking some. I've really come out of my shell recently. I stopped hiding my real name and gender and have been working to become less of a hermit. And I feel comfortable here. Because of all of you who made sure I'd feel comfortable. Me, a major wallflower and shut-in who really only makes patch compilations. And yet you've shown me such kindness. Thank you all, as always, for that kindness. For making me feel so welcome. I hope my social and mental wellness continues to flourish.

How about some references identifying? Let's do that, yes. Tongue

"There's Options" is actually a reference to an item in The Binding of Isaac - Rebirth. I poured lots of time into that game. And Edmund loves references himself. :3

"Translating the Name Edition" is a reference to the band Saosin's FANTASTIC first EP, "Translating the Name". They delivered some solid stuff later, but never anything else like that great first EP. Check it out.

I mentioned referencing a song by the band Finch in my Script Fix. That song is "Without You Here". It says "The storm is bad tonight" as its opening line. I have a character say that in the Terra origin/Maduin flashback scene without any change to the Japanese meaning of the dialogue. It's barely a reference, but I like it. And it interferes with nothing. I've just always loved that underdog band. :3

The Star Wars reference I mentioned using is spoken by Strago when you meet him. It's from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. it's what Obi-Wan Kenobi says to Luke when asked if he knows Obi-Wan Kenobi. "Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time." I substituted "word" in place of "name". Again, the sentence is accurate in meaning to the Japanese text. Square loves Star Wars. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

I guess that's all for now. But maybe more later. See you all. :3

EDIT: One more thing I suppose. I love Final Fantasy VI and either it or Secret of Mana was my first RPG. My dad rented it for me when I was a small girl, but I didn't actually own it till I was a teen. I used to go to sleep reading the (very inaccurate) Nintendo guide years before I owned the game (I still have that guide, but it took a pounding over the years). But I admit that EarthBound is actually my favorite game anyway. Surprised My copy of the FFVI (okay, III, as it's American) cartridge is a confirmed 1.0, by the way. Sketch bug witnessed. Sweat
  • SilentEnigma (02-25-2023)

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
So I don't know if this was covered in the bugfix compilation or not, but it doesn't seem so - or if so, its unstable because it was broke on my "Challenge Mod" that uses the bugfix compilation.

There's two dialogue messages in the game that are bugged, #122 and #346 - when Edgar speaks to one of the troopers accompanying Kefka, and when Edgar brings up "fighting Magitek enemies with Magitek weapons" in the meeting at the Returners hideout. The trooper and Banon's responses aren't shown due to an error in the hex. In vanilla, this can be fixed by going to CD/166E and CD/39E9 and changing the "00" bits there to "13", you'll know it's fixed because if you open the dialogue in usME, it'll show more lines (in my experience, parts of messages #123 and #347 were copied into #122 and #346, but rewriting 122 and 346 was fine).

The problem on your end is gonna be finding those two addresses, because if the script has been edited, and/or if you've opened the rom in usME, things are gonna be moved around. I was able to find my #346 fix on my WIP project by grabbing the last few hex values from the address in a vanilla rom, doing a Ctrl+F for them in my modified rom, and trial-and-error changing until the caption displayed properly in usME. Now, if that fix will be preserved if people apply other roms to their projects after the bugfix compilation...I have no clue whatsoever. Godspeed.
  Find

Status
None
Something that may be of interest to people here, could be integrated into the comp as well. The "Bird Bars" patch has a hiccup where, by the way it changes how the Bar-Bar-Bar Slots result is implemented, it will use the animation of the Magicite item before calling a random Esper and doing its animation, ergo if you change the Magicite item to something else, it'll screw up Slots visually.

Fortunately this is easy to fix. The offending bit of code is at C2/4DD1
Code:
C24DD1:    BNE revert_xba  ; branch if not
    XBA  ; item ID = null
REPLACE5:  ; LDA replaces JSR
C24DD4:    LDA #$01  ; set Item command
;C24DD4:    JSR $37DC  ; v1.0 or v1.1
;C24DD4:    JSR $37D7  ; SFC only
    XBA
    NOP
    NOP
    NOP

From C2/4DD3, change it to 20 DC 37, the vanilla coding to call up the subroutine to call a random Esper. After that, EA out the EB afterwards, and Slots is fixed and will function normally independent of the Magicite item. In the end the code from C2/4DD3 onward will look like this:

Code:
20 DC 37 EA EA EA EA EB
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DrakeyC for this post:
  • CVReynolds (06-01-2023)

Threads: 18
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Wouldn't that undo the functionality of the bugfix, ie. the fix to the issue where the Slot user's positioning gets messed up?
  Find

Status
None
Nope, tested a whole bunch of Esper results from 3 Bars including Phoenix, and Setzer is fine.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DrakeyC for this post:
  • CVReynolds (06-01-2023)

Status
None
Hello

Version 2.8 is here. Only a little late this time.

Updated: Bird Bars (Leet Sketcher) to version with fix by DrakeyC (also updated in Battles patch). Thanks, DrakeyC. :3

Regarding the bugged dialogue messages though. The bug-fix compilation does include a fix for those lines, as does my script edit. The individual patch was called "Missing Dialogue" and was by Novalia Spirit. I didn't see anything wrong with the patch when I checked in FF3usME. If you find anything or know of anything wrong with it, please do let me know. :3
  • SilentEnigma (06-02-2023)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 8
Status
None
I tested Drakey fix in bnw and setzer position after a bar-bar-bar Palidor is wrong. It can totally be a conflict with other modifications bnw-specific to Palidor but double checking could be safer.
  Find