Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Just a quick "I haven't forgotten" message. I recently recovered from Covid-19 and I'm angry that there were obstacles preventing me from getting vaccinated before I became infected. But I won't get into that further here.

I have an update to this comp with the new stuff in it. It's ready, but I didn't put it up yet for one reason: It removes Siegfried and Chupon appearing on the Veldt from the comp. And I kinda wanted to release a separate patch first that would be MY version of the whole Siegfried/Chupon thing. Complete with simple new scripts for when you encounter them on the Veldt. But I've been dragging my feet, so soon I'll update the comp again anyway with the new fixes.

(It's an oversight to have Siegfried and Chupon as Rages. But the mistake lies in having them as Rages in the first place, rather than them not appearing on the Veldt. All these years later and I'm still baffled by that. Why them but not ProtoArmor? Prometheus? Mega Armor? But it's THIS game, so...)

As for the comp splitting project? Well, it's sort of... done. I've separated all the patches into categories and it's almost ready. There are only two things that stopped me from making a release of this new format:

1: I made no documentation for this. Probably shouldn't be too hard. Need to set aside some time.

2: I'm VERY unsure of my sorting. I can almost guarantee there's some mistake somewhere. I haven't checked yet to see what places in the rom the patches write to. And I'm not even sure how much that matters. I only want max compatibility with hacks.

I'll see about making a list later so I can ask for input. But if people don't expect me to vanish for months at a time at this point, I don't know what to say. :/ I won't forget, though. :3

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Hey, welcome back! Glad you're doing okay.

I've always looked at your project as the best purist oriented patch out there. We all know FFVI is a buggy, sometimes badly designed, game. I like that there's a patch out there that only aims to remove obvious bugs and errors in execution, and not veer into attempting to "correct" design flaws territory. Chupon and Siegfried being Rages and whether or not they appear on the Veldt is in my opinion, a design error, and as such things are highly subjective, I'd err on the side of purism and leave them as vanilla. My subjective opinion is that they have no business being Rages at all, unlike Pugs, the omission of which looks more like a failure in execution.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • CVReynolds (10-06-2021), SilentEnigma (09-19-2021)

Status
None
Hello. After a much too long delay, I've returned with the new update. It is depression and a lack of motivation that makes this late, more than anything.

But I also had difficulty in deciding how to handle the Siegfried/Chupon issue. I ended up removing their patch, as I said I planned to. I haven't solved the matter in another way yet, so for now, you'll need to apply that "fix" yourself if you want them on the Veldt. Said fix is flawed, though. It allows Siegfried and Chupon to pincer attack the player, and their scripts are nothing but Battle and Sneeze respectively. So I made my own modification of the fix. My own version enhances their scripts a little and includes my "Rage Addendum" fix (which does nothing but make Siegfried/Chupon not pincer attack your party). But it's not ready for release yet. I might release it when I release the rest of my rudimentary fixes. They could use a new release on this forum, I think. But enough of that. Onto the update.

UPDATED Everybody Gets a Chocobo! by PowerPanda. I don't remember what was changed anymore, but finally it is here.

REMOVED Rage, by Terii senshi. The Siegfried and Chupon thing might be resolved at a later date. I dislike this oversight, but I don't think this is the way to fix it now.

REMOVED Rage Addendum, by C. V. Reynolds. It only made it so Siegfried and Chupon couldn't do solo pincer attacks. It's pointless without the above patch, so...

ADDED Allo Ver Fix by Master ZED. Because the "Rage" patch that added Siegfried and Chupon isn't included anymore. I didn't forget that patch included an Allo Ver fix, too. So Allo Ver is still in. :3

UPDATED the Vanish + Doom fix by Assassin to include the Fenix Undead change. Now undead foes immune to instant death can't be killed instantly with Life/Fenix Down and the like. In the plain-flavored FF6 this only affects a single monster... Hidon. But this could be useful for hacks. Yes, I'm aware that some might not consider this to be a bug. But I always have and I'm glad to add this fix.

And according to my patch update dates I remade the Wild Cat/Mag Roader patch at some point. I have no idea why or whether something changed. Did I discover a prior existing error and fix it? I don't know. Did I screw something up before or now? I doubt it. But... MAYBE.

Sadly but predictably, I don't yet have the list ready for the big patch split thing. But It's still in the cards, because I do have the patches organized. So maybe soon if I'm feeling okay. But... MAYBE. Forgive me. Sad

Take care, everyone.

EDIT: To clarify: any future Siegfried/Chupon fix will be optional. There's no "proper" way to fix this oversight in a straight-up bug-fix compilation. Hmm... Actually, I do think it would be acceptable if upon fighting Siegfried/Chupon in the Colosseum, Gau gets their Rages automatically and they never appear on the Veldt. That, I think, would be a superior fix because it doesn't interfere with anything else, even if it's a bit weird.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (10-06-2021), Joshua H. (10-12-2021), madsiur (10-06-2021), SilentEnigma (10-12-2021)

Status
None
Hey CV!
I should start off by saying that I know nothing about hacking. I also have only just arrived at the world of ruin in ff6. Meaning I actually have not beaten the game yet… I literally made this profile because I wanted to respond and give input on some of these amazing projects. (Like a screaming five-year old in the back seat of a car). Anyway, it seems like you are having trouble with deciding what to do with Siegfried/Chupon. 

The problem from what I understand is that Siegfried/Chupon are learnable rages for gau, but they do not appear on the veldt; thereby making them unobtainable. From what seibabey says, they were never intended to be rages in the first place. If my objective was to clean up the bugs and support the initial intentions of the original developers, I would probably go with this decision and remove them as rages entirely. Also, your opinion on the vanish + doom fix indicates to me that you align more with cementing the intent of the original developers rather than trying to preserve the OG ff6 “experience”.

I could also see you including them as rages and putting them on the veldt. This would give the hack a little more content and would be nice for gau. Also, it seems like in previous iterations of this patch you have included them as rages? I’m not sure. In which case, removing them could feel like you are cutting content. I can understand not wanting to do that. The thing I’m a little confused about is the idea of not putting them on the veldt and having them obtainable through the coliseum. From what I understand, gau can only learn rages on the veldt. While this would work, the solution seems to deviate heavily from the original rage mechanic intent. In my subjective opinion, that may be the least desirable option. Not from a pragmatic stance, rather from a stance of keeping the original game mechanics consistent (as flawed as they might be at times).

Ultimately, in my opinion, I think the choice comes down to including them as rages/putting them on the veldt, or not doing that. I don’t know if this warrants two separate patches. It doesn’t “seem” like it is that divisive, but I haven’t beaten the game so what do I know?

I’m sorry that you have not been feeling well. I just made this profile, so forgive me if I am overstepping any boundaries. The task in creating a compilation of all these bug fixes must be quite taxing. Having to deal with the aforementioned life issues on top of stuff like COVID is understandably a burden. If I could give any advice, it would probably be to reach out to people for support. I can’t speak much to your personal life (IMO), but the community here seems to be very supportive. I’m sure if you asked for help on your hack, plenty of people would be willing to lend you their aid wether it’s organizing, debugging questions, opinions about execution, etc. The bottom line is that if all this work is putting a strain on your ability to be happy, then let others share in your burden so you can be content in life. (Sorry for all the sap, also sorry for using the word “intent” so much).

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
Hi CV, thanks as always for the new release. Allo Ver Fix makes a triumphant comeback!

Re: timing -- Your last update was in June, right? If you ask me, that's like a week ago in FF6 Hacking years. Tongue
What's most important is that you enjoy whatever time you spend on the project, take care of you first (obviously), and the rest can fall into place from there.

...Besides, I'd rather pick on @assassin for treating his recent (aka 5 years old) not-quite-finalized work as anything but an ongoing international crisis. As if hacking were some kind of nonbinding hobby! Sir, I'm going to need a refund for that missing readme.txt!

(10-06-2021, 01:00 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: They could use a new release on this forum, I think.

I recently had the occasion to go digging for this stuff, and I must admit it feels like I'm holding onto contraband now.
Perhaps I've said too much. Laugh

(10-06-2021, 01:00 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: UPDATED Everybody Gets a Chocobo! by PowerPanda. I don't remember what was changed anymore, but finally it is here.

The new version fixes a few miscolored pixels inherited from the Banon Riding sprite.
[Image: banon-sprite-fix_2021-06-30.png]

(10-06-2021, 01:00 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: UPDATED the Vanish + Doom fix by Assassin to include the Fenix Undead change. Now undead foes immune to instant death can't be killed instantly with Life/Fenix Down and the like. In the plain-flavored FF6 this only affects a single monster... Hidon. But this could be useful for hacks. Yes, I'm aware that some might not consider this to be a bug. But I always have and I'm glad to add this fix.

A solid add in my opinion.
FYI: This also affects Karkass & Lv.10 Magic.

(10-06-2021, 01:00 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: And according to my patch update dates I remade the Wild Cat/Mag Roader patch at some point. I have no idea why or whether something changed. Did I discover a prior existing error and fix it? I don't know. Did I screw something up before or now? I doubt it. But... MAYBE.

Whatever it was, it seems to be testing out all right on my end.
(Maybe just a different FF3usME version?)

(10-06-2021, 01:00 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: To clarify: any future Siegfried/Chupon fix will be optional. There's no "proper" way to fix this oversight in a straight-up bug-fix compilation. Hmm... Actually, I do think it would be acceptable if upon fighting Siegfried/Chupon in the Colosseum, Gau gets their Rages automatically and they never appear on the Veldt. That, I think, would be a superior fix because it doesn't interfere with anything else, even if it's a bit weird.

I agree with REDTITAN & Seibaby that the rages were probably left out intentionally. Possibly last minute during development.
If so, the bug is just the fact that they still have open spots on the field menu's Rage list.

I think I'll try doing a quick patch to remove those blanks, so that can be one option for your consideration.
It's probably going to be a ripoff of one of @assassin's patches (a released one).

Cheers!

Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
What's the "Fenix Undead" exactly? it is referring to Life/Phoenix Down unable to target enemies? Also any download link for this patch? Thanks.

Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
@Warrax,

This post has an explanation and the .asm used for CV's patch:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread...l#pid39349

No .ips patch has been released as yet. This is a C.V. timed* exclusive!

Origin of the tweak is here.

*indefinitely. The offer still stands, @assassin Objection!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Warrax (10-20-2021)

Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
For what it's worth, I'd love the standalone "Fenix Down doesn't kill undead" anymore patch. Anything that lets me solve a problem and move on rather than make a change, test, and fix whatever mistakes I made is the best. Laugh
  Find

Status
None
Hello. I'm late again, it seems. But better late than never? Things haven't been going great for me. But I want to be clear again: This project is not at all the cause of any of my suffering. And this forum has only been good to me. I've been an outcast so many times over the years, but not here. I thank everyone for their kindness and patience.

I'm ready to move forward with the project. It should be version 2.0 soon. But I haven't tested the split yet. I haven't had time. But I will post it anyway soon. Maybe before the year is over. Maybe for New Year's. So I'm giving you all a chance to look over the list first. There might be (and very likely are) errors here. Please tell me how to better sort this stuff if you want to. Thank you. Oh, and I know the Monster Formation Data patch only has The Unilateral Blockade. I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it. Sad

This is how it's currently sorted:

Actor Data fixes:

Celes' Rushing (Djibriel)
Setzer Bandana (C. V. Reynolds)

Battles fixes:

1-Way Status Immunity (Assassin)
Allergic Dog (Novalia Spirit)
Anchors Aweigh! (Imzogelmo/Lenophis)
Anonymous Attack (Leet Sketcher)
Auto Swordless Runic  (Assassin)
Auto-expiring statuses don't reset their timers with manual removal (Assassin)
Backstabu (Leet Sketcher)
Bird Bars (Leet Sketcher)
Caravaggio (Leet Sketcher)
Carve Stone (Leet Sketcher ver) (Imzogelmo)
Chance Offering (Leet Sketcher)
Control Attacks Ignore MP Cost (Assassin)
Control Menu Responds Poorly to MP Change (Assassin)
Dead Hare (Leet Sketcher)
Dead in the Air (Leet Sketcher)
Deceptive Tapir (Assassin)
Disrespectful Zombie (Assassin)
Double Block (Leet Sketcher)
Duplicate Enemy Names (Assassin)
Esper Battle Menu (Lenophis)
Evade (Terii senshi)
False Knight (Leet Sketcher)
FC 05 enemy command (Master ZED)
Flaky True Knight protection (Assassin)
For What Ails Ya (Lenophis/Imzogelmo/Kejardon)
Genji Glove damage reduction (Assassin)
Gogo and the Cursed Shield (Imzogelmo {with additional fixing by Leet Sketcher})
Half Knife (Leet Sketcher)
I condemn thee to hell! (Lenophis)
Imp Skimp (Leet Sketcher) {with additional fixing by SilentEnigma}
Imp's Call (Leet Sketcher)
Imp's Rage (Leet Sketcher)
Imp's Retort (Leet Sketcher)
Imp's Retort Compatibility (Leet Sketcher)
Invert Damage if Undead (Leet Sketcher ver) (Master ZED)
Ironic Metamorph Pack (Assassin)
Item Magic Counter (Leet Sketcher)
Jump Megafix (Version A) (Assassin)
Jump-Launcher and Jump-Super Ball (Assassin)
Killer Life 3 (Leet Sketcher)
Magitek Madness (Leet Sketcher)
Morph Mayhem (Leet Sketcher)
Muddle-Mantra (Assassin)
Muddle-Palidor (Assassin)
Multi-Steal (Imzogelmo {with additional fixing by Leet Sketcher})
Mute Steals Rage Statuses (Assassin)
No X In Fight (Leet Sketcher)
Off Death Row (Leet Sketcher)
Petrified Rebel (Novalia Spirit)
Pincer + Row (Assassin)
Premature Continuation (Assassin)
Psycho Cyan (Terii senshi)
Randomosity monster encounter (Assassin)
Recapture the Glory (Assassin)
Reflect barrier shown on bodyguards (Assassin)
Reflectable Magitek Beams (Assassin)
Rock Bottom (Leet Sketcher)
Self Sneeze (Leet Sketcher)
Shadow Copy (Leet Sketcher)
Sketch Bug (Assassin)
Sketch Bug Second Part (Assassin)
Smoke and Mirrors (Leet Sketcher)
Some MP changes don't update menus (Assassin)
Soul Saved B (Leet Sketcher)
Stackable Immunities and Permanent Statuses (Assassin)
Status Unknown (Leet Sketcher)
Step Mine MP cost (Assassin)
Step Mine's Missing Digit (Assassin)
Stone Cold (Leet Sketcher)
Stone Faced (Leet Sketcher)
Suplex wrongfully splits damage (Assassin)
The Cowardly Dog (Novalia Spirit)
There can be only one! Single-target (Lenophis/Imzogelmo)
Throwback (Leet Sketcher)
To Joker Doom or Not to Joker Doom (Lenophis)
Ultimate Damage (Leet Sketcher)
Unaffected Rows (Assassin) {updated in 2020 by Assassin}
Upside Down (Leet Sketcher)
Vanish Doom New Version + Fenix Undead (Assassin)
Vanish Runic (Leet Sketcher)
Zombie Rippler A (Leet Sketcher)
Zombie Tapir A (Leet Sketcher)

Events fixes:

Auction Chocobo Fix (Madsiur)
Bland Entrance (Leet Sketcher)
Bottomless HP and MP Well (Assassin)
Can't lose for winning (Lenophis)
Castle Party (Leet Sketcher)
Cave to the Sealed Gate Basement 3 Event Megafix (Assassin)
Equip wrong item to slot via event (Assassin)
Frozen Terra Fix (Madsiur)
Game Over (Leet Sketcher)
Grand Stairway (Imzogelmo) {modified by C. V. Reynolds to not edit the script}
Ignore Kamog (Drakkhen)
Instant Airship (Novalia Spirit)
Lens Cap (Leet Sketcher)
Miraculous, Death-Defying Always-Left-Facing Jumps in Zozo (mblock129)
M-Tek Vehicle in Cyan's Soul event (Imzogelmo)
Multiple Events Fix (Leet Sketcher)
Naming Shadow (Novalia Spirit)
Persistent Whistle (Novalia Spirit)
Precious Jewels (Leet Sketcher)
Returner's Day Off (Leet Sketcher)
Shadow Gone (Leet Sketcher)
Shadow's Status (Leet Sketcher)
Slightly lagged battle event timer display (Assassin)
Stepping Out (Leet Sketcher)
Stuck in a Pose (SilentEnigma)
The Sleazy Lender (Novalia Spirit)
Turn Around (Leet Sketcher)
Unequipium (Leet Sketcher)
Vector's Cure-Castin' Kid no longer heals the dead (Imzogelmo)
Walk This Way (Leet Sketcher)
Wrong Way, Idiot! (Gi Nattak)
Zoneseek No Thanks (mblock129)

Graphics fixes:

Backwards Jump (Leet Sketcher)
Bad Decoration (Lenophis)
Blush Disease (Novalia Spirit)
Bridge Correction (Gi Nattak)
Broken Gate (Novalia Spirit)
Coin Flip Fix (Gi Nattak)
Everybody Gets a Chocobo! (PowerPanda)
Hasty T-Rex (Leet Sketcher)
Overhead (Leet Sketcher)
Reflections (Leet Sketcher)
Regulation Dice (mblock129)
Shadow Chupon (Novalia Spirit)
Solar Wind (Leet Sketcher)
Tritoch Animation Fix (bydoless)
Zozo Sign Petty Fix (Madsiur)

Item Data fixes:

Doom Darts and Trump name fix (Assassin)
Dusk Requium (SP) (C. V. Reynolds)
Jewel Ring Description (Assassin)
Life 2 Description (Imzogelmo)
Magicite - Strength to Vigor (C. V. Reynolds)

Map fixes:

Agoraphobic Leader (Novalia Spirit)
Allo Ver Fix (Master ZED, Assassin)
Banquet Guards Go Back to Their Places (mblock129)
Border Crossing (Imzogelmo, Lenophis, Novalia Spirit)
Button Blunder (Gi Nattak)
Duncan Stays Put (mblock129)
Flight of Storm Drgn (Novalia Spirit)
Gold Wrexsoul (mblock129)
Loud Music (Leet Sketcher)
Map Mishap (Leet Sketcher) {modified by SilentEnigma}
Mine Cart (Imzogelmo)
Missing Light (Novalia Spirit)
Narshe's Door (Leet Sketcher)
Narshe's Secret Entrance Tile (Novalia Spirit)
Off the Hook (Leet Sketcher)
Opened Eyes Terra Alt (Madsiur)
Phantom Train Chests (darkmage) {modified by Leet Sketcher}
Phoenix Chest (Leet Sketcher)
Pink Gogo (Imzogelmo)
Shadow's Shadow (Madsiur)
The Echoing Waters (Novalia Spirit)
The Magic Bridge (Novalia Spirit)
The Peninsula of Death (Novalia Spirit)
The Phantom Diary (Novalia Spirit)
The Sealed Door (Novalia Spirit)
Transportation Device (Novalia Spirit)
Trigger Happy (Leet Sketcher)
Vanishing Magicite (Novalia Spirit)
Verdant Respite (Novalia Spirit)

Menu fixes:

Amnesic Cursor (Novalia Spirit)
Chain of Command (Leet Sketcher)
Description Disruption (SilentEnigma)
Equip Anything fix (Kejardon/Lenophis/Imzogelmo)
Frozen Mosaic (Novalia Spirit)
Magic Sorting (Novalia Spirit)
Menu Malarky (Leet Sketcher)
Miscolored command names (grayed version) (Assassin)
Misplaced Cursor (Novalia Spirit)
Save Point Switch (Leet Sketcher)
Shop Menu (Novalia Spirit)
Shorter Skill Name Fix (Madsiur)
That Damn Yellow Streak (Assassin)
Throw down (part of) the Gauntlet (Assassin)

Monster Formation Data fixes:

The Unilateral Blockade (Novalia Spirit)

Monster Scripts fixes:

Blitz Tutorial Fix (C. V. Reynolds)
Bye Bye Breath (Leet Sketcher) (modified for FF3usME compatibility, and maybe compatibility with Blitz Tutorial)
Homesick Gau (Djibriel)
SrBehemoth (Dragonsbrethren)
The Wild Cat (Djibriel/Lord J)

Script fixes:

Missing Dialogue (Novalia Spirit)
Various Texts' (Imzogelmo)

Status
None
(10-17-2021, 03:29 PM)SilentEnigma Wrote: I think I'll try doing a quick patch to remove those blanks, so that can be one option for your consideration. It's probably going to be a ripoff of one of @assassin's patches (a released one).

I did not see this hack on the list. It might be something to consider before releasing 2.0. Unless you already fixed the vacant slots in the rage menu. From the previous posts, this seems to be a bug that should be corrected. Maybe contact @SilentEnigma and check to see if progress has been made. If not, then that can be done later. Sometimes it’s better to just finish something rather than spend an eternity crossing “T’s” and dotting “I’s”.

I have no opinion on which way the patches are organised. It all looks solid to me.