Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(01-18-2020, 03:35 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: Splitting the bug-fix patch into several patches to give more options! (I've worked on this a little, but I still need to work out how many categories I need)

Thanks to everyone for the support. :3 I honestly cried because I was so touched. I'm far from used to such kind treatment on the internet. You're all so kind to me.

The most problematic component of compatibility is event bug fixes (changes to the map or character actions), as they typically do not play well with other event changes unless meticulously and manually applied.
With that in mind, you might want to break your compilation into three patches: Gameplay Bugs (mostly Banks C0-C3), Event and Map Bugs (mostly Banks C4-CE and D9-EC), and Script Bugs.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • PowerPanda (01-27-2020)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
What C-Dude said. Event fixes can totally screw up a rom that has done event edits. Map bugs are also problematic, as the map graphics are compressed. If someone changes 1 tile, then applies your fix, it can cause an entire set of maps to become corrupted. So split into:
1. Gameplay Bugs
2. Event and Text Fixes (C-Dude has these split, but I think this would only be used for someone who is just starting. It's okay to combine)
3. Map Edits

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Love the idea of the script fix compilation. Just small obvious typos and fixes that maintain the style of the original script. I do have one suggestion though, that I found while considering my own similar hack. I would consider also making the following change:

Code:
2164: diffuse to defuse

"Diffuse" can be used as a verb, but it means "to spread thinly or scatter". Here I believe he probably meant to use "defuse" as in "to make less harmful, potent, or tense" like figuratively defusing the statues, like one would defuse a bomb. Especially because it seems that Kefka diffusing the statues is what causes the problem in the first place.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Binarynova for this post:
  • CVReynolds (05-03-2020)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Hello. I'm still right here. I'm still having some problems but I'm also still slowly working. My script project is almost finished. I'm not sure when it'll be done because I still need to do quality control checking and editing and so.

I guess I can say what it is here now. I'm editing the whole script to fix all the translation errors. The goal is to make it as close to what Ted Woolsey would have had it if he had infinite time to check and correct his errors. I'm not transplanting the GBA script because I don't have the time or in-game space to do so. But I borrow from it at times. I'm having some trouble with the Gau makeover scene, though. I don't really want to borrow the GBA's clown/crown wordplay...

Binarynova: Thank you. I'm changing the "diffuse" to "defuse". :3

Seibaby: Sorry I didn't reply to your post sooner. What is Assassin's "Sketch fix part 2" and "improved Vanish-Doom fix"? I'd like to add those to the comp if they're better than the previous versions. I don't have Discord, though, and have never used it.

Sadly, I haven't made any progress on the patch separation yet. Sad I don't remember what all the patches do anymore, so it would take a lot of time to separate them into different categories. I may get to it eventually, though. When I have the time.

I'll update the bug-fix comp hopefully soon, to include the new Stuck in a Pose and PowerPanda's replacement for Banon Riding. Also Description Disruption by SilentEnigma.

Thanks for the patience, everyone. :3

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Hey CV! Thankfully mnrogar/slick is (briefly?) back up so I can link these posts:

Non-fraudulent Sketch Bug fix thread
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpB...c2c25ddb98
Archived version: https://web.archive.org/web/202005021300...c2c25ddb98

Dissecting Vanish/spell
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpB...db98#p7177
Archived version: https://web.archive.org/web/202005021302...c2c25ddb98

And here are some zip archives of the posts and linked files:
http://ge.tt/9Hlsyw23
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
(05-01-2020, 11:46 PM)CVReynolds Wrote: I'm having some trouble with the Gau makeover scene, though. I don't really want to borrow the GBA's clown/crown wordplay...

I don't blame you any there!
Are you sure you want to call Woolsey's take an "error," though? It seems to me Woolsey deliberately chose not to localize the pun from the original, opting instead to replace it with his own gag (which isn't half bad -- Cyan is a known klutz who sometimes loses track of his possessions).

If it helps, here's a summary of my work on this line...

Roughly literal:
Quote:Cayenne: This would be a fine hat!
"No sensu [Katakana: modern slang for 'fashion sense', from English 'sense' / a folding fan]..."
Cayenne: Wh, what! How is this supposed to be a sensu [Kanji: folding fan]?"

...The GBA rendering...
Quote:Cyan: Cyan: Now this is a fine and jaunty little hat!
"Maybe if he were a clown..."
Cyan: What was that? If he wore a crown? Ha! We don't want his father thinking he's some kind of prince, now, do we? ...
The problem here is that it turns the cultural misunderstanding into a simple case of bad hearing (or Slattery making fun of Japanese-to-English R/L mistranslations).
The word "clown" is very old and Cyan should have recognized it.

Here's kWhazit's rendering:
Quote:Cayenne: Such a hat as this would be splendid.
"Such awful taste..."
Wh-what! Why would anyone taste it!?
The problem here is that "taste" in the former sense is not exactly modern slang either, so it still does not make much sense that Cyan would misinterpret the word.

Here's my project's attempt:
Quote:Cyan "Now this is a fine and jaunty little hat!"
Sabin "...Can't imagine anything less hip..."
Cyan "His hip!? 'Tis not a belt-pouch! 'Twould go rightly on his head, would it not?"
The advantage of using "hip" is that it is modern slang, so the cultural misunderstanding aspect of the original is kept intact.
The minor drawback here is that Cyan's misinterpretation of the word refers not to the hat itself, but to the place where the hat would be worn.

If I were to cast the "hip" solution onto Woolsey's rendering instead of Slattery's, it might look something like this:
Quote:Cyan: What a jaunty hat!
"Not hip at all..."
Cyan: Wh-what!? Why would he ever wear a hat on his hip?"

Good luck! Sweat Pummel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:

Status
None
Thanks, Seibaby. Now I just need to translate some of that assembly to hex. Something I haven't done before, but at one point hex was totally new to me too. I might get to the other patches first.

And thank you, SilentEnigma. Your post set my thinking on the correct path (I was definitely going the wrong way before). But I doubt I'll come up with anything better than your last example above. To be outright, I really like it. Would you mind if I used it? I would credit you for it in the readme on site and in the zip, of course.

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Translating assembly to hex is a task assemblers were literally created to do. Try using xkas, it's simple and I'm going to assume assassin's code was written with it in mind (or a more modern alternative like asar).
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • CVReynolds (05-17-2020)

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
(05-03-2020, 07:45 PM)CVReynolds Wrote: Would you mind if I used it? I would credit you for it in the readme on site and in the zip, of course.

Absolutely you can use it, and also tweak it however you like. Credit is appreciated!

(05-04-2020, 05:05 PM)seibaby Wrote: Translating assembly to hex is a task assemblers were literally created to do. Try using xkas, it's simple and I'm going to assume assassin's code was written with it in mind (or a more modern alternative like asar).

Hey, now, doing it manually builds character! [Image: evil.gif]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • CVReynolds (05-17-2020)

Status
None
Thank you, SilentEnigma. My best idea was a pun on "cool" doing exactly what you think I'd do with it. Your pun on "hip" is much better. :3

I'm still working on the script when I have time. But until then... bug-fix update! :3 Updated to version 1.17.

Changes:

Added Description Disruption by SilentEnigma.
Updated Stuck in a Pose by SilentEnigma (to version 2.8).
Replaced Banon Riding with PowerPanda's Everybody Gets a Chocobo!

Unfortunately I didn't figure out the asm stuff in time and I didn't want to hold up this update anymore. Let me tell you what problems I had. Maybe you all can help me.

First, for the Sketch update, I wasn't sure of something. Should I put it on WITH the previous sketch bug fix version or INSTEAD of it? Because I'm thinking I should put both on.

Second, for the Vanish/Doom update, I was really confused. When I tried to patch it, xkas reported errors. Three lines were in error. I don't know if it's because I missed doing something or not. Is there something I should edit in the asm file to make it work? The following three lines were (confirmed) in error:

BCS $22B5 ; miss if physical, as target is Vanished
BRA $22B3 ; hit or miss, depending on result of function call
BCS $22B5 ; miss if any didn't pass

It says all are "invalid opcode or command".