Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Hello, everyone. Long time no see. :3

I'm still doing quite well if anyone is interested. Life could still certainly be better (and less lonely) for me, but I'm feeling pretty good now. In past years I was so depressed, and eventually came to be in such a state that I didn't care if I breathed another day. And wasn't sure whether I wanted to either. Dark times... But more than a year later I have treatment and I feel I have a future. And my writing is so much better these days, too. So things are looking up. :3

But you're really here for the UPDATE news, so here it is:

Updated: Static Icon Overflow (SilentEnigma) updated to 1.2. Also updated in the "Menu" patch in "There's Options".

Thank you! :3

And that's all for now. Not as many patches/updates these days, after all.

But Gens, I'm sorry to say I haven't been able to test what you speak of. :S I've actually never gotten triple bar Palidor in FF6. I can't even consistently roll triple bar. Maybe if I had a cheat that could pull it off I can see. Or maybe someone can tell me what time I should save state between rolling the bars and the Esper being chosen. Did anyone else test this to help? Or could they? Preferably done with only the bug-fix comp to be sure of where the issue is.

Catch you all later!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (10-21-2023), SilentEnigma (11-06-2023)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
This is amazing, and I'd like to use it (with due credit, obviously) as a base to a project I'm cooking up. Would the resulting ROM still work with editors?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
Hello there! Yes, the patched ROM will work with all the reputable editors; it (the patch) doesn't expand or relocate anything that would cause an editor to not function. It's all just a carefully arranged conglomeration of patches in which some are inline with the original code, while others take up empty/free space. I'm not 100% sure about the included optional patches, like the script edit one, but I'd imagine they'd be fine also since you'd be starting fresh.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(11-04-2018, 08:01 PM)CVReynolds Wrote: C.V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Patch Compilation
Version 2.9
Patches updated October 21 of 2023.

Cobbled together by C. V. Reynolds (~Coraline Violet~).

About The Patch

This is a collection of bug-fix patches, both as a single IPS and as domain-specific collections of IPS files dealing with specific domains like battle, graphics, menus, etc.

Patching Info

For the domain specific ones, mix and match them as you like. The order in which you apply them doesn't matter.

This is for the North American 1.0 version only!

Apply this patch only to a fresh ROM, do NOT patch over an older version of this compilation. It may not work if you do!

The host for this compilation is ff6hacking.com. This is currently the ONLY site that may host this compilation. However, hacks and other projects may use this compilation in their code even if those hacks are hosted on another website.

* snip *

C.V. Reynolds Script Fix Patch
Version 2.1 (Translating the Name Edition)
Patch updated October 2, 2022.

Cobbled together by C. V. Reynolds (~Coraline Violet~).

---

Patching Info

For North American 1.0 version only! It might work with 1.1 as well, but I've not tested this. Beware if you try it on 1.1.

If you plan to use my Bug-Fix Compilation patch with this, you must apply the Bug-Fix Compilation patch first. You can use either patch on its own as well, though. If you patch the Bug-Fix Comp over this, it'll cause two of the game's messages to display weird. But it will play otherwise. However, FEAR NOT. I've included a patch that will allow you to fix this. If you apply the Script Fix first, then the Bug-Fix second, apply the "Backward Application Fix" third. This will fix the messages to work right.

Don't apply this over an old version of this patch. It might not work right or at all if you do.

The host for this compilation is ff6hacking.com. These is the ONLY site that may host this compilation.

About The Patch

This is the C. V. Reynolds Script Fix, "Translating the Name" Edition. The goal of this script edit is simple. I try to retain as much Woolsey as possible while fixing all the errors and inconsistencies in the script. All this was done at my discretion. I changed a lot more than I was expecting in my hunt for a "perfect" script edit. I have a few notes.

1: I tried to retain Ted Woolsey stuff whenever I could. I tried to be subtle about the changes I'd make. I also included a little Slattery at least once.

2: The goal of this project is NOT to uncensor the game. I might do an "uncensored" version in the future. But this isn't it. It still uses "perk ups" and "pearls" and such.

3: The goal of this project is to fix errors. All instances of intentional Woolsey "flavor" was left in if it didn't hurt consistency too much.

4: I tried to be non-instrusive with my writing. I don't like it when localizers "leave their mark" on the script with memes and references to stuff. That said, it's my project so it's my choice and so TOO BAD. ;P There's a reference to a Finch song that possibly nobody will ever notice. It's so indistinct, it might as well not be a reference, but it means something to me... There's also a reference to a Star Wars line that possibly everybody will notice. Anyway, I accomplished both with no changes to the meaning of the sentences. They came naturally to me while I was writing. They don't stand out as odd at all.

5: I took a liberty with the War Gods/Warring Triad. Sometimes Woolsey would call them "the Statues" and other times "goddesses". I chose to always call them Deities. I feel Woolsey could have gotten away with using this word in the 90s. Zelda and Pokemon used the word a little later. I didn't want to use the Statues because it is confusing and stupid. I didn't want to use Goddesses because one of them is actually called Goddess. I expect the strongest point of criticism of my script edit will be my use of Deities. Sorry if you don't like it.

6: I chose to make Cyan consistently use the olde English. Thou, thy, thee, and art appear consistently in his dialog throughout the game now.

7: See the included hard-to-read list of changes if you want to see what changed. Or maybe you could play through the game.

8: Was line 99 an ode to Dan Quayle? The world may never know.

Thanks & Credits

Thanks to ShinxHijinx for testing this hack for me. It would have shipped with errors otherwise. He did a great job.

Thanks to Mato and Poe for the entertaining Legends of Localization streams of Final Fantasy VI. They inspired me to do this. And the vast majority of the script's errors I learned about from those streams. Knowing is half the battle!

Thanks to SilentEnigma for text entries 2814 and 2815. I couldn't think of anything close to as good as those are.

Thanks to Catone and C-Dude for discussing the Vicks/Wedge swap thing. They inspired later changes to this project.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me or will. I never thought you'd all be so good to me. I'm really just a shy nerd with OCD, but you all acted like I was somebody. Big thank you. :3

* snip *
Hi CV, I was mildly confused by the first post so I asked what parts of it meant in the discord. After gaining enlightenment, I was advised to make a suggestion in this thread.

As such, I have quoted your first post in this thread and edited the non-comprehensive parts for clarity and brevity. If you like these critiques, feel free to edit your OP to include them.
  Find