Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF3 Monster Damage Excel Spreadsheet

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I thought I would upload this in case someone finds a use for it.  I got tired of manually doing the math to calculate a monsters physical attack damage, so I made up a basic excel formula.  All you have to do is change the monsters level and bat power in the excel spreadsheet, and the rest will auto-generate. Version 2 is now up, which now allows you to enter the players defense (a defense of 125 cuts the damage by about 1/2).

Note: Most modders will ignore the field that says "Damage After Defense BACK ROW (25%)."  This was a field specific to my mod, because Madsiur created a hack for me that only reduces monster damage by 25% in the back row instead of 50%.

Download:
.zip  FF3 Monster Attack Formula V2.zip (5 KB, 22 downloads)

Screenshot:

[Image: 0HLNY75.jpg]
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Lightning for this post:
  • BTB (09-22-2018), madsiur (09-17-2018)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Prowess
I'm gonna be real nitpicky, so feel free to tell me to buzz off, but having an average defense of 128 is perhaps misleading. Terra's starting defense is 97, and as such, 128 is surpassed rather quickly. If I were making such a spreadsheet, I'd probably add a graph that projects the damage for all defense values. I can imagine that may be beyond the scope of the file, so I'd at least recommend declaring what average defense is so that the user knows what benchmarks are being used.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Status
None
(09-18-2018, 10:35 AM)Cecil188 Wrote: I'm gonna be real nitpicky, so feel free to tell me to buzz off, but having an average defense of 128 is perhaps misleading. Terra's starting defense is 97, and as such, 128 is surpassed rather quickly. If I were making such a spreadsheet, I'd probably add a graph that projects the damage for all defense values. I can imagine that may be beyond the scope of the file, so I'd at least recommend declaring what average defense is so that the user knows what benchmarks are being used.

I was going to do that, but I could not find the formula anywhere online to accomplish this.  If you can find the algorithm, I can do it.  I just don't know how the game factors it!  For some reason, only the other part of the formula was listed on various sites.
  Find

Status
Prowess
Here's my bread and butter for anything and everything related to the formulae used in calculations: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/562865-...faqs/13573

In particular: Damage = (Damage * (255 - Defense) / 256) + 1

In essence, the damage is reduced by a factor of Defense/256.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Status
None
This is the formula I've been using for monster damage that I found months ago:

Level * Level * (Battle Power * 4 + Vigor) / 256

How does your formula fit in to this? The formula above came from this page. Strange how it does not have defense in that formula.
  Find

Status
Prowess
You've already got the right idea of it in that 125 PDef cuts damage roughly in half. That formula you have is the base damage, and then the defense formula that I posted reduces the damage according to the physical defense of the target. In that example where you have the base damage value of 879, if an enemy hits a target with 190 PDef, it will deal 65/255 damage, or about 224.

Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cecil188 for this post:
  • Lightning (09-19-2018)

Status
None
My first post has been updated with V2 of the Excel spreadsheet, which now has a field at the top of the spreadsheet for a characters Defense. This should now allow modders to play with these numbers however they see fit and get an accurate result.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Lightning for this post:
  • madsiur (09-19-2018), Warrax (09-19-2018)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 5
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I *just* so happen to be in need of this right now... quite glad I stumbled across it.

"You don't have to be a vampire to die like one... b*t*h." -Simon Belmont