Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Some final code requests (and screenshots)

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Has anyone ever created a patch that stops the Illumina's random Pearl from doing a critical hit? I searched but couldn't find one. It is pretty overpowered...
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
The Random spell (Pearl) it cast has nothing to do with it doing a critical hit, unless I'm misunderstanding the question, what I think you're referring to is the 'extra effect' flag that's set on it and a couple other weapons that takes some MP to do a for sure critical hit. If that is what you mean, that can be taken off in the FF3usME equipment editor (Reg. Items (adv.) under the 'Extra effect' (Uses MP for mortal blow).

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(09-28-2018, 02:49 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: The Random spell (Pearl) it cast has nothing to do with it doing a critical hit, unless I'm misunderstanding the question, what I think you're referring to is the 'extra effect' flag that's set on it and a couple other weapons that takes some MP to do a for sure critical hit. If that is what you mean, that can be taken off in the FF3usME equipment editor (Reg. Items (adv.) under the 'Extra effect' (Uses MP for mortal blow).

Nope, I'm not referring to the MP criticals dealt by the sword itself, but rather the random Pearl that deals double the normal damage to monsters. For example, I just now used the Illumina on a monster in the WOR and watched a random pearl cause 3,500 damage.  I then casted pearl manually using the magic menu on the same monster and only did 1,900 damage.  I always thought this was a bug, because Flare does not do double damage with the Ragnarok, nor does any other spell with any other sword. I was always under the impression it was because the critical hit caused by the sword was carrying over to the spell, making it a "critical hit" with a spell.  I would be surprised if nobody has ever looked in to this!

Edit: It does appear to be linked to the MP criticals of the sword. If the attacker doesn't have enough MP to perform a MP critical, then the random Pearl casted by Illumina will do normal damage. If the attacker has enough MP and the sword does the auto-critical, then Pearl does twice as much damage if randomly casted. I am pretty sure this was an oversight in the original game, and would be shocked if it were not a bug.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
From the Algorithms FAQ:

"If the weapon does automatic criticals, then the spell automatically does
a critical as well (even though spells normally can't do criticals). However,
if the weapon does a critical because of the standard 1 in 32 chance, then the
spell does not do a critical."

Find

Status
None
(09-28-2018, 01:59 PM)Warrax Wrote: From the Algorithms FAQ:

"If the weapon does automatic criticals, then the spell automatically does
a critical as well (even though spells normally can't do criticals). However,
if the weapon does a critical because of the standard 1 in 32 chance, then the
spell does not do a critical."

Sounds like a bug to me.  I never liked how overpowered the Illumina is. It makes the Excalibur laughably weak in comparison!  I am trying to balance these weapons in my mod so people use a wider variety of them.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Maybe the developers had this specific mechanic in mind, saying it is a bug is only speculation. This should set the "no critical and ignore true knight" flag for a spell cast with a weapon:

Code:
hirom

org $C2365B
jsr free_space

org $C26469       ; change this to free space
free_space:
sta $3400         ; leftover code for the jsr
lda #$02
tsb $B2           ; Set no critical & ignore True Knight
rts
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (09-28-2018), Lightning (09-29-2018)

Status
None
Asar had an error compiling; something like "Free_Space not found [jsr free_space]. Is there a line missing?
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Status
None
this is part of a larger umbrella of four bugs, whereby the makers persistently fail to have later strikes in a multi-strike attack reverse property toggles that were done on earlier ones.  it's like they had no grasp of how to update $B2 - $B3.

it makes no damned sense for magic to suddenly become critical, as the game establishes that feature is just for physical attacks in every other case.  not to mention, the game doesn't even enforce this dubious critical-granting *consistently*: dual-wield auto-critical weapons where the right hand's is also a spellcaster, and you'll see right after your upgraded magic damage, the left hand can't even critical for the weapon strike itself.  it's a mess.

as luck would have it, i posted an untested beta fix to mnrogar's for all of this 2 years and 2 months back:

description: http://assassin17.brinkster.net/forum-po...r-desc.txt
fix: http://assassin17.brinkster.net/forum-po...ti-fix.asm

you fill in the free space address.

if some of the property names in the description look unfamiliar, it's because i inverted them from those used in the Bank C2 disassembly, as keeping the existing wording led me to use double negatives.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (09-28-2018), Lightning (09-29-2018), madsiur (09-29-2018), Warrax (09-29-2018)

Status
None
Ok, so I'm still figuring out hex editing and asm hacks, but I think I've got the whole "Free space" thing figured out (I am a complete coding moron, so forgive me). I opened my ROM with WindHex32, went down to the C2 bank, and found a bunch of blocks of code starting at C26680 that just have a bunch of "FF" lines in them. Am I safe replacing 'org $C2????' with 'org $C26680' in this case?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-28-2018, 11:33 PM)Lightning Wrote: I opened my ROM with WindHex32, went down to the C2 bank, and found a bunch of blocks of code starting at C26680 that just have a bunch of "FF" lines in them.  Am I safe replacing 'org $C2????'  with  'org $C26680' in this case?

Yes, $C26469-$C267FF is free space.
  Find