Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Some final code requests (and screenshots)

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Thanks again guys!  I didn't even consider making Phoenix Downs and life spells "one side only".  That makes total sense, as it would be silly to be able to target enemies after fixing the undead thing.  I will also apply the Smoke/Muddle bug fix to make sure people can't manipulate that bug to cause death upon undead monsters.

PowerPanda Wrote:I didn't make any edits to the battle scripts. Are you getting that same error without the patch? It's possible that your rom just didn't fix the Mag Roader bug.

I was not getting that error without your patch (I know, because I edited almost every battle script possible before using your patch).  The Battle editor refuses to work altogether after applying your patch, which is odd (FF3usME flat out disables it).  Did you say your patch was created for a 1.0 ROM?  Maybe it has a similar issue that we recently ran across with a few other ROMs being incompatible with a 1.1 ROM?  The General Leo edition is based on FF3 1.1.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Ah yes, mine is 1.0, headered. I do not work with 1.1. Still, all of my edits were to the D0 bank. I didn't think there were differences in that bank between 1.0 and 1.1. Also, all of my edits were by hand in a hex editor, so it wouldn't have gotten any of the junk data from some of the programs.

Anyway, send me a private message with a link yo your actual rom. I need to see if your battle animation code is in the same place. My changes were really simple, so it shouldn't be difficult to re-do them, create an IPS specific to your patch, and send it back.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
Ok, so I just stumbled across a pretty sizable bug that is also present in the General Leo Edition. In vanilla FF3, when you complete the floating continent and "wait for Shadow", a flag is set that makes Shadow appear in the Veldt Cave. When this flag is set, it also allows you to immediately go to Owzer's Mansion in the WoR (after getting the Falcon) and find Relm there. If the player does NOT wait for shadow in the floating continent, Relm will appear in the Veldt Cave instead, and the player will not be allowed to visit the dungeon in Owzer's Mansion until Relm is rescued from the Veldt cave.

Now, I am only theorizing that this bug originates with a change that fedorajoe made so you don't have to "Wait for shadow" any more on the Floating Continent. The characters immediately jump to the Airship. This seems to incorrectly set a flag so that the player can immediately go to Owzer's Mansion to recruit Relm, OR go to the Veldt Cave and find Relm wounded. Basically, you can do this out of order now. This causes all sorts of problems, like massive plot holes and seeing two instances of Relm if you recruit her in Owzer's Mansion first.

Does anyone know how these flags work, and how to fix this bug? I also don't want any fixes to interfere with the fact that Leo can be obtained immediately at the Colosseum by betting the correct item.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
That's a pretty blatant oversight indeed!

Simply put, those 'flags' are 'event bits' and are used for setting and clearing various event-related things, to control what happens or appears at certain points in the game, or what have you.

Assuming you'd want Relm to be there in the cave, a fix could involve using a different/custom/unused event bit instead that would basically do what the 'left Shadow behind' bit did in terms of putting Relm into the cave, but it would have nothing to do with Shadow at all so it wouldn't effect him or any code that was left behind that could effect Leo, and then in-turn update the Owzer mansion and Veldt cave entrance event and/or memory bit stuff to the new bit.

I think that'd be about it anyways.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(09-21-2018, 04:23 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: That's a pretty blatant oversight indeed!

Simply put, those 'flags' are 'event bits' and are used for setting and clearing various event-related things, to control what happens or appears at certain points in the game, or what have you.

Assuming you'd want Relm to be there in the cave, a fix could involve using a different/custom/unused event bit instead that would basically do what the 'left Shadow behind' bit did in terms of putting Relm into the cave, but it would have nothing to do with Shadow at all so it doesn't effect him, and then in-turn update the Owzer mansion and Veldt cave entrance event and/or memory bit stuff to the new bit.

I think that'd be about it anyways.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Leo is technically Shadow. I think Fedorajoe just swapped out the graphics and names. If an event flag is used for Shadow, it might effect Leo at the colosseum.  However, I am unsure as to how Fedorajoe made it so that Leo can be obtained immediately, while at the same time, so can Relm (in the cave).  I'm not sure how he set it up.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you don't want Relm in the cave and you don't want Leo there as well (because Shadow can be found in the cave). So how about just removing the cave NPC?
  Find

Status
None
(09-21-2018, 01:23 PM)madsiur Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but if you don't want Relm in the cave and you don't want Leo there as well (because Shadow can be found in the cave). So how about just removing the cave NPC?

Relm has to remain in the cave (sorry about the confusion).  The problem is that Relm can currently be found in Owzer's Mansion first, THEN the cave in the Veldt (in the wrong order if the player chooses to do it that way).  There is an incorrect flag being set somewhere that allows you to go to Owzer's Mansion and recruit Relm, THEN go to the Cave in the Veldt and find Relm wounded - even though she is already in your party (kind of like an Austin Powers "oh no I've gone cross-eyed" type of moment with a clone of Relm).

I'm not exactly sure how Fedorajoe set this up, but in the GeneralLeo Edition, Shadow swaps positions with Leo as a non-playable character.  In the Floating Continent, you are no longer given the option to "Wait for Shadow".  When you get to the WoR, you can go to the Colosseum at any time to recruit Leo by betting the proper item (you don't have to visit the cave in the Veldt first).  Relm is ALWAYS found in the Cave in the Veldt no matter what order of events you do. You can ALSO go to Owzer's mansion at any point and recruit her, even without visiting the cave in the Veldt first. I hope this makes more sense!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-21-2018, 02:01 PM)Lightning Wrote: There is an incorrect flag being set somewhere that allows you to go to Owzer's Mansion and recruit Relm, THEN go to the Cave in the Veldt and find Relm wounded

What you could do is use an unused event bit and set it when Relm is found in the cave. In the Owzen Mansion door event (dungeon entrance), check for that bit and continue event only if it is set. That would force the linearity you seek while not fixing the way it is already set, which I have a difficulty to follow.
  Find

Status
None
(09-21-2018, 02:14 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 02:01 PM)Lightning Wrote: There is an incorrect flag being set somewhere that allows you to go to Owzer's Mansion and recruit Relm, THEN go to the Cave in the Veldt and find Relm wounded

What you could do is use an unused event bit and set it when Relm is found in the cave. In the Owzen Mansion door event (dungeon entrance), check for that bit and continue event only if it is set. That would force the linearity you seek while not fixing the way it is already set, which I have a difficulty to follow.

Yes, I was thinking that exact same thing but was not sure it was possible.  I think there should only be ONE event that opens Owzer's Mansion dungeon entrance, and that is finding Relm wounded at the veldt cave. An unused event would be optimal so it does not disturb the other events of the game (like recruiting Leo in the Colosseum).  If we start messing with all those other events and triggers, we'll end up like this:
[Image: fDLfM20.gif]

Edit: I think our suggestions is exactly what Gi Nattak was suggesting, but I guess I completely missed that part of his post for some reason...
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(09-21-2018, 02:01 PM)Lightning Wrote: Edit:  I think our suggestions is exactly what Gi Nattak was suggesting, but I guess I completely missed that part of his post for some reason...

Haha, yep! Kappa!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.