Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Some final code requests (and screenshots)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
If I were to hazard a guess on this issue, Fire Skean and Bolt Edge share the same "first tick" of animation, both in the "Spell Animation" section and in the "Battle 1 Animation Section" of FF3usME. Fire Skean and Bolt Edge use "027E", and Water Edge uses "81F5". I also note that Water edge repeats 81F5 in the 4th tick, which may be call to step back? Here are the animations:

Fire Skean
027E
01F4
FFFF
FFFF

Water Edge
81F5
FFFF
81F5

Bolt Edge
027E
01F7
01F9
FFFF

I would start by changing the 1st and 4th tick of Fire Skean/Bolt Edge to 81F5, and see if that resolved the issue.

Anyway Lightning, you're going to want to get this solved so that you can port your patch over to my Definitive Edition as soon as it's patched. Smile It includes a full 16-character roster, so you can get Shadow AND Leo. I'm probably 80-85% finished with it at the moment, and hope to complete it by October.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(08-06-2018, 10:38 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: I would start by changing the 1st and 4th tick of Fire Skean/Bolt Edge to 81F5, and see if that resolved the issue.

Anyway Lightning, you're going to want to get this solved so that you can port your patch over to my Definitive Edition as soon as it's patched. Smile  It includes a full 16-character roster, so you can get Shadow AND Leo. I'm probably 80-85% finished with it at the moment, and hope to complete it by October.

Changing the first and/or the 4th tick to 81F5 causes bugs like the water animation to also occur on top of the other animations, and the characters still don't step back.  I also tried other combinations, like repeating 027E again at the end, but that didn't change anything either.

By the way, I have a few questions about your mod:

-Does it work on real hardware?  I have spent a lot of time making sure mine works well on real hardware, since this is top priority for me!
-Does your mod still work in FF3USME?
-Assuming the answer to the above two questions are yes, is it even possible to merge our mods together?  I have modified a lot over the last 8 months, including redoing the order of monsters, monster formations and groups, items, spells, equipment, and basically everything there is to tweak in FF3USME!
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(08-06-2018, 01:12 PM)Lightning Wrote: Changing the first and/or the 4th tick to 81F5 causes bugs like the water animation to also occur on top of the other animations, and the characters still don't step back.  I also tried other combinations, like repeating 027E again at the end, but that didn't change anything either.

-Does it work on real hardware?  I have spent a lot of time making sure mine works well on real hardware, since this is top priority for me!
-Assuming the answer to the above two questions are yes, is it even possible to merge our mods together?  I have modified a lot over the last 8 months, including redoing the order of monsters, monster formations and groups, items, spells, equipment, and basically everything there is to tweak in FF3USME!

Hmm... don't know what to tell you on the step bug then. I could have sworn that a patch existed for that, but I can't seem to find it either here or on Romhacking.net. I'll let you know if I find it.

I don't yet know if my hack will work on real hardware, as I no longer have an official SNES, nor a way to put roms onto one. I also haven't finished it, so I can't really test until it's done. I CAN tell you that my beta hack, Divergent Paths, works on the SNES Mini without using Retroarch, so I have high hopes this will do the same. I have purposely fit all of the changes into an unexpanded rom to make the chances as high as possible that it would be compatible.

It is still compatible with FF3usME, with 2 exceptions.
1. Sprites 16-22 (Leo through Gestahl) do not display correctly in FF3usME because of the spritesheet expansion and relocation I did in my patch "Everybody Gets a Chocobo".
2. Spell descriptions have been relocated to bank C4, so the spell descriptions that FF3usME lists are not what displays in-game. This was necessary in order to fit the 10 new spells into the game.

Also, there will be a few events that use custom event commands, such as Gau learning Fight or Kappa checking to see if you have all of the Imp Armor equipped before joining. These will not display correctly in ZoneDoctor, but will not cause crashes.

My next task is manually re-creating the battle system and menu fixes from C.V.Reynold's bugfix compendium, since his patch is not compatible with mine. That'll make some changes in C2, but I'm going to try to make the changes without re-ordering things too much.

HOWEVER, I have made changes to the equipment, items, and the descriptions for all of them, so if you try to patch over the top of mine, it'll screw up the text pointers.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I believe the issue is that both Bolt Edge and Fire Skean have this subroutine:

Code:
D0/7067: F8 81 70 6C 70           jump to $7081 ($706C if magitek)
D0/706C: F9 01 00 00              set attacker magitek armor action to 1 (walking)
D0/7070: C8 04                    change attacker action to 4 (walking forward)
D0/7072: 89 17                    loop start (23 times)
D0/7074: 83 60                    move forward 1
D0/7076: 86 60                    move attacker forward 1
D0/7078: 0F                       [$0F]
D0/7079: 8A                       loop end
D0/707A: C8 00                    change attacker action to 0 (no action)
D0/707C: F9 00 00 00              set attacker magitek armor action to 0 (standing still)
D0/7080: C0                       return from subroutine

But not this one that Water Edge has at the end:

Code:
D0/708E: F8 A8 70 93 70           jump to $70A8 ($7093 if magitek)
D0/7093: F9 01 00 00              set attacker magitek armor action to 1 (walking)
D0/7097: C8 03                    change attacker action to 3 (walking back)
D0/7099: 89 17                    loop start (23 times)
D0/709B: 83 80                    move back 1
D0/709D: 86 80                    move attacker back 1
D0/709F: 0F                       [$0F]
D0/70A0: 8A                       loop end
D0/70A1: C8 00                    change attacker action to 0 (no action)
D0/70A3: F9 00 00 00              set attacker magitek armor action to 0 (standing still)
D0/70A7: C0                       return from subroutine

You'll notice the only subroutine that Fire Skean and Bolt Edge has, has them doing the step forward, while the Water Edge has this additional subroutine at the end that does a step back. You can 'fix' it by removing the subroutines that do the step forward, for Fire Skean and Bolt Edge, then Gau would just stand still and do it. This would of course mess things up for the normal Throw version for Shadow, because his Throw animation does an extra step back, but if you're not using Throw...

(Thanks to the battle animation script provided by Everything hosted on the wiki)

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(08-06-2018, 02:06 PM)PowerPanda Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 01:12 PM)Lightning Wrote: Changing the first and/or the 4th tick to 81F5 causes bugs like the water animation to also occur on top of the other animations, and the characters still don't step back.  I also tried other combinations, like repeating 027E again at the end, but that didn't change anything either.

Hmm... don't know what to tell you on the step bug then. I could have sworn that a patch existed for that, but I can't seem to find it either here or on Romhacking.net. I'll let you know if I find it.

I don't yet know if my hack will work on real hardware, as I no longer have an official SNES, nor a way to put roms onto one. I also haven't finished it, so I can't really test until it's done. I CAN tell you that my beta hack, Divergent Paths, works on the SNES Mini without using Retroarch, so I have high hopes this will do the same. I have purposely fit all of the changes into an unexpanded rom to make the chances as high as possible that it would be compatible.

It is still compatible with FF3usME, with 2 exceptions.
1. Sprites 16-22 (Leo through Gestahl) do not display correctly in FF3usME because of the spritesheet expansion and relocation I did in my patch "Everybody Gets a Chocobo".
2. Spell descriptions have been relocated to bank C4, so the spell descriptions that FF3usME lists are not what displays in-game. This was necessary in order to fit the 10 new spells into the game.

Also, there will be a few events that use custom event commands, such as Gau learning Fight or Kappa checking to see if you have all of the Imp Armor equipped before joining. These will not display correctly in ZoneDoctor, but will not cause crashes.

My next task is manually re-creating the battle system and menu fixes from C.V.Reynold's bugfix compendium, since his patch is not compatible with mine. That'll make some changes in C2, but I'm going to try to make the changes without re-ordering things too much.

HOWEVER, I have made changes to the equipment, items, and the descriptions for all of them, so if you try to patch over the top of mine, it'll screw up the text pointers.

Maybe one day I can test it on my real hardware for you.  I only ever play mods that I can have on my retro CRT!  Wink

Have you done any difficulty modifications to the gameplay in your mod?  One of the main points of my mod was to remove all the unbalanced mega attacks, smarten up the AI, and to increase the overall difficulty without requiring the player to level up too much more than normal.  Of course, there are all the new monsters that take the place of the less significant monsters. You could always take my mod when you are done and merge whatever you want. If you really wanted, you could just manually transfer each monster and all the stats, and import all the graphics I created (if you have enough bytes for that; I think I had to duplicate the odin/raiden esper graphic and remove most of the crusader graphics to free up bytes).

Oh, and Gi Nattak, I don't really see much difference in the two blocks of code that you posted! Of course, I am rubbish at reading code; I was just looking for added/subtracted lines and differences. I don't really know what the code itself means.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(08-06-2018, 02:38 PM)Lightning Wrote: Oh, and Gi Nattak, I don't really see much difference in the two blocks of code that you posted!  Of course, I am rubbish at reading code; I was just looking for added/subtracted lines and differences.  I don't really know what the code itself means.

Thankfully the code is all commented, lucky for us! King Lettuce The main thing I was showing is there's an additional subroutine for Water Edge that has that much needed step back, and Fire Skean and Bolt Edge does not have this subroutine. The only difference in the two code I posted if you look carefully is one steps back and one steps forward -- Water Edge also has the step forward subroutine, but it ALSO has after it a step back subroutine, which the other two do not, which is why the issue is happening.

Status
None
(08-06-2018, 02:48 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 02:38 PM)Lightning Wrote: Oh, and Gi Nattak, I don't really see much difference in the two blocks of code that you posted!  Of course, I am rubbish at reading code; I was just looking for added/subtracted lines and differences.  I don't really know what the code itself means.

Thankfully the code is all commented, lucky for us! King Lettuce The main thing I was saying & showing was there's an additional subroutine for Water Edge that has that much needed step forward, and Fire Skean and Bolt Edge does not have this subroutine.

Oh, I get it now.  I thought the first block of code you posted was the whole routine for the Bolt/Fire Skeans, while the second block was the whole routine for the water edge.  I now see the second block of code is what is missing from the bolt/fire Skeans.  I did glance at the commentary, but I was confused when the block of code looked similar. I wonder if adding that routine would mess up the rom with the additional bytes?
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah as the animation scripts are they are back to back, so it'd probably need to be relocated just to add in this 3 extra byte step back subroutine that is needed, simply putting it in over something else that's there would more than likely break it lol. I'm not too sure about relocating these animation scripts either having never tried, but I'd assume if there's room in the same bank it'd be possible. Hopefully someone like Everything can shed light on it.

Status
None
(08-06-2018, 02:56 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Yeah as the animation scripts are they are back to back, so it'd probably need to be relocated just to add in this 3 extra byte step back subroutine that is needed, simply putting it in over something else that's there would more than likely break it lol. I'm not too sure about relocating these animation scripts either having never tried, but I'd assume if there's room in the same bank it'd be possible. Hopefully someone like Everything can shed light on it.

What about removing the step forward routine entirely, similar to the Plasma attack?  Wouldn't that eliminate the need to add the whole step back sub-routine?
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah it would, but then It'd mess things up for when used with Throw, the Thrower would take an extra step back. I think Throw is still a thing in Gen. Leo Edition, even though Shadow get's axed later? If not, then that'd work for when Gau uses it with Rage, he just would stand still instead of move forward a step.